I got to handle 2 Shilohs!

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

woodpuppy

I got to handle 2 Shilohs!

Post by woodpuppy »

Greetings!

Last evening I had the opportunity to handle and fire two 10 year old 30" Shiloh #1 Sporters in .45-70, one with a heavy octagon and one with the standard octagon. WOW! I'm hooked worse than I knew. Craftsmanship was top notch! We shot 405 gr. lead cowboy loads, and something hotter, all smokeless. I wish one of them would shoot black powder. One gentleman is considering selling his heavy #1, but it's not quite what I would spec out, so I'm torn- great Shiloh now, or perfect Shiloh after a year wait...... course, I've been invited to shoot Greg's Shiloh again in the meantime. He even offered to let me BORROW it! :shock:

In shooting offhand, my general feeling is I like the standard octagon best. It shoulders and points very naturally and comfortably. The heavy octagon is noticably heavier to me.

I still need to nail down barrel length, I'm torn between 30" & 32", but not for any reason other than looks. I imagine a 32" standard octagon would be real nice, I know it will add some muzzle weight. I'm concerned too over the posts discussing fouling towards the ends of longer barrels.

My biggest dilemma however is the stock. The shotgun stock with pistol grip & cheekpiece was very comfortable. But I prefer the lines and appearance of the plain military stock/buttplate. I know the angle of the two styles is different; how much increase in felt recoil and muzzle rise could I expect?

As it stands, I lean towards:
Hartford model in .45-70
30/32" standard octagon, semi-buckhorn sight
standard grade wood preferably DARK reddish
bone/charcoal pack case hardening
brass escutcheons and polished screws

But I'll think on it. If the previously mentioned gentleman wishes to sell his #1, that's a hard chance to pass on. He's kept it up, I'd give it +95%

Any thoughts or personal preference/experience are welcome! Especially if you've shot both style buttstocks.

Thanks,
Dave
Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

Just a couple things to consider...
if you are recoil sensitive, the shotgun stock would be the best. IF you are going to use the SHILOH for hunting and fun plinking, go with what trips your trigger....
IF you are going to be shooting A LOT ( which you probably will) and plan on some competition , the shotgun stock with pistol grip will give you the best service. Another option is to have Kirk install a BREAKO recoil reducer in the stock of the military style. That way you get your design and a reduced recoil.
Either way that you go I am sure you will be happy.

Trigger Dr jim Milner
Direct ALL e-Mail to jimrmilner@juno.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Prospective Member BPCR Federation
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

Woodpuppy:

Buy the #1 now so you will have something to shoot. Then put a $250 deposit down on another one. In a year when they want to start production you will have plenty of time to spec the another out.

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"