Favorite sourse for newbie black powder cartridge loading?

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Coyote Chris

Favorite sourse for newbie black powder cartridge loading?

Post by Coyote Chris »

On my bike trip to the Bighorns, I stopped off in Cody at Rocky Mountain Cartridge and Dave there gave me a hour of his time and explained to me the ins and outs of loading black powder rounds.

While I have reloaded for 40 years, the blackpowder thing is new to me.
What is your favorite sourse for newbie information on the web?
Thanks! Chris
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

Coyote Chris

Post by Coyote Chris »

Hey Ray, that PDF is great! Thanks a bunch!

Chris
Matthew_Q

One question

Post by Matthew_Q »

I've seen varying recommendations on powder charging...

Should I load my charge by WEIGHT or by VOLUME?

(if you must know, I am loading .45 2.1" using Goex FFg [I have some FFFg and my give it a try] pushing a 405gr flat point. I'm new to BPCR, and bought some of those bullets bulk. They're just for learning, and I do not expect awesome accuracy from them. I will get around to moulding my own later on. I loaded 40 rounds using 65 grains by volume, and they were not too consistant... but my rear sight sucks, so that probably contributed it's fair share in the lack of accuracy)
LJBass

Post by LJBass »

Matthew,
You will undoubtedly get numerous opinions on this question. First off. Do you use a drop tube to charge cases? If you do I can speak to the subject. I have loaded by volume only for some years with some success. Once I've determined the compression level that works for a particular load I will record the stack height (level the powder stacks to after being dropped through a 30" drop tube) for that load and the weight of powder of that lot needed to get there. The stack height is measured after my over powder wad is seated on top of the charge. I use an old Lyman 55 to throw my charges and a Lyman 505 scale to set the measure. Once the measure is set I will start throwing charges and charging cases. I will check every 10th case to make sure there no glaring changes occuring during the loading session. When I'm done charging I will check the stack height in all cases and those that fall outside my .020 match quality window will be used for foulers. One note if you use an old 55 or something similar; throw at least 15 charges before you start zeroing on your exact charge weight. and then throw at least 5 more after it's set. If you don't do this you will have a sudden shift of up to a couple grains in your charge as you load.
Regards, LJ
Matthew_Q

Post by Matthew_Q »

So what I should do is find what stack height needed given what seating depth I will use with a given bullet, then weigh that charge, and duplicate it by weight?

I do have a drop tube... it's a 36" brass tube, but I think I may cut it down to 24" or so to make it a little more manageable. I also have a nice digital scale, so weighing a charge should be pretty quick.

I think my first loads lacked a bit of consistency, due to the poor grouping. (loading .45 2.1") I used 65gr by volume Goex FFg, with a .030" poly wad, compressed about .25 or so. It's a little tricky getting a good measurement on the compression, but I set the compression die and left it the same for every cartridge. (I think I may cut a dowel rod so I can measure the overall length before and after compression with my caliper. ) Seated my 405gr flat point on top. I think my seating depth was a little shallow. Some rounds didn't want to chamber well, so I might reduce the OAL a hair. Real quick, tho, what's a good charge, by weight and volume, for that weight bullet? Any comments are more than helpful!
Luke

Post by Luke »

Matthew, might I suggest you go here: http://www.ycsi.net/users/mlventurino/ and get the "Buffalo" book. Its a great read, but more important for you, it gives a complete spectrum of BP cartridge reloading: Starting with the whys and hows of basic loads, equipment needed, ending with the loading techniques of several champions. Its the best book I've yet seen for loading these rounds for these rifles.
Limber Up!
Matthew_Q

Post by Matthew_Q »

Luke,

Thanks for the link! I think I might have to order a copy of that book soon. It did pique my interest. I got the book from SPG lubes, and found it was informative, but very general in a lot of ways. I DO like that it has some ballistic charts for various calibers in it, so I will keep it around for reference.

I think I got the basics down, as all my black powder loads all went BANG and put holes in paper on Monday. I just need to tweak it so the little holes are closer together!
Bumper

Post by Bumper »

Matthew_Q, Its the little tweaking that makes these single shot BP rifles so enjoyable and challanging. I enjoy each trip to the range and look forward to the next match or test session. Rbump
LJBass

Post by LJBass »

Matthew,
Sorry it's taken so long to get back. Yes, that's what you should do. Once you have an established stack height it's easy to determine what the compression for a given COL will be. Makes it much easier to tweak loads when you know what your compression level is. Good luck!
Regards, LJ