barrel cooling

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Harlan Sage

Post by Harlan Sage »

Oops, didn't realize I was logged in on Wendys title.

Harlan
Just Shoot...EXERCISE YOUR RIGHTS!

Guns Have 2 enemies, Rust and Politicians!
LJBass

Post by LJBass »

Randy,
What rule book are you looking in, target rifle or silhouette? I have a BPCR target rifle rule book, but have never been able to get a current silhouette book. I have not found any specific outlawing of mirage bands in the target rifle book. In a conversation on another forum a while back with hpguy420 I learned, that at the competitors meeting last year at Raton, masking tape was approved and mirage bands were outlawed. That may only be for Raton or it may be for every NRA approved competition. It may also be up to the match director at each match. I don't know. What I do know is; I will show up to shoot with something legal at the national championships, so I don't get DQ'd right out of the box! 'Cause I can't think of worse way to start my day than not getting to compete. :cry:
Regards, LJ
Vbull

Post by Vbull »

LJ,
Silhouette rule 3.4 Black Powder Cartridge Rifle- Sub Par. (h), Electronic and mechanical wind meters are not allowed. Small personal wind flags are permitted, but may not be forward of the muzzle of the firearm. Mirage bands are not permitted.

There is no rule written in the Black Powder Target rifle mentioning the use of mirage bands. Although there is a catch all rule in both books.

Rule 3.18 - General, All devices or equipment which may facilitate shooting and which are not mentioned in these rules, or which are contrary to the spirit of these rules and regulations are forbidden. The Match Director, Jury Chairman or Supervisor shall have the right to examine a shooters equipment or apparel. The responsibility shall be upon the competitor to submit questionable equipment or apparel for official inspection and approval in sufficient time prior to the beginning of a match so that it will not inconvience either the competitor or the official.

Copied out of current rule books for Black powder silhouette and target rifle. Frank M.
JAGG

Post by JAGG »

Back to the old bucket of water ! JAGG
JAGG
JAGG

Post by JAGG »

A Canteen of water and a little funnel with a long neck tube is what i used to use on very hot days on the range ! I would put the rifle in the shade also but it still stayed hot on those types of days ! Latter i went to the early morning to late after noon shooting to test loads ! At a match you shoot when it is your turn and that's it so you are stuck ! So run water through it and over it after the beeswax treatment ! I have blow tubed my brains out on those hot days and either you have not enough or to much and the shot goes off anyway ! JAGG
JAGG
LJBass

Post by LJBass »

Frank,
Thanks for the info. I had looked at rule 3.18 in the target rifle book and figured it might be the catch-all.
Regards, LJ
Bumper

Post by Bumper »

:arrow: At our monthly match yesterday the temp was over 90deg in the shade and the humidity wasalso at 95%. As our range is only 200m we give a 30sec ready period and 10 minutes for 10 rounds during the match. Sighters are allowed for 1 hr prior to the match. Using 4 good breaths through the blow tube a dry patch is run through the barrel. The fouling was soft (looked like a gooey tar) and then a second patch. I have found that a third patch saturated with Wonder Lube keeps the first shot on the next relay on target. Even though our firing line is covered the barrels are quite warm after 10 shots. I have let a rifle set after 10 shots for about 10 minutes and then tried to push a dry patch through, the fouling on the patch is dry and pushing the patch feels like the barrel has alternate gritty/hard spots and some smooth ones. In hot weather cleaning the fouling from the barrel seems to work for me. Rbump