Forster Co-Ax Press

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

James M

Forster Co-Ax Press

Post by James M »

Does anyone have experence with the Forster Co-Ax Press?
Received my Shiloh catalog :D waiting for my engraving order kit
Planning my Sharps order, lots of Photoshop'n
Brent

Post by Brent »

A bit. I bought one a few months back. Works very well and it's super convenient.

Brent
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

Next to its price, the only negative comment that I’ve heard about the Co-Ax was that the Reloader would need to purchase special Large or Small shell holders. Brent, would you shed some light on this?

For those not familiar w/ Forster:

http://www.forsterproducts.com/

Over the years, I also noticed more reloaders, utilizing the Turret type presses offered by RCBS, Lyman, & Redding. Being from NYS, I’ll put a plug in for Redding-Hunter’s quality. Redding also offers SAECO moulds, Lubri-sizer.

CH-4D also offers some heavy duty presses.

For those of you w/ the old style Herter’s press, CH also has a shell holder adaptor for those old presses.

Let’s see when did Herter’s close down in the late ‘60’s?

http://www.ch4d.com/
Brent

Post by Brent »

Yes, there are two shell holders set ups. For a .45 - you need the larger set. Each set has two sizes ( you have to disassemble, reverse jaws and reassemble). This sounds confusing but with 2 different sets of holders there are 4 different holder size ranges that can be achieved. You can get by with either set for something like a .38-55, but for the .45's you need to get the largest set and set it up to use the largest holder on that set. You will be able to load both .38-55 sizes and .45-100s without changing anything.

Newer models have these same shell holders up top to prime with. Older models require shell holders on tope like RCBS shell holders. I have one of the older models (bought used off of ebay). However, I have no interest in priming with a press, so I don't use that end of it anyway.

Being able to swap dies in and out at a moments notice is worth everything.

Brent
wolfie

Post by wolfie »

also of note if you like fast die changes is the hornady lock and load system on their press and the have a bushing that will work on redding ultra mag press and big boss and the new lee classic cast press the adaptors are not very expensive i have but them on all my dies that i use in my single stage press.
B.J. Spalding
"I came I saw and I forgot why I am here."
SHILOH#1
8iowa

Post by 8iowa »

I have loaded many common centerfire cartridges in my Co-Ax press. It's unique shellholder doesn't grip the rim with the surety of a standard shell holder, making it more susceptible to "stripping off the rim and leaving a case stuck in the die. This would of course only be a problem in the situation of a hard sizing operation, or a case with insufficient lube. I'll also recommend that you purchase several of Forester's locking rings as they will fit the press better. I don't like to prime cases on the Co-Ax, it's much more convenient to use a hand priming tool.

For loading BP cartridges I prefer my Lyman Mag II turret press.
NRA LIfe Member
NAHC Life Member
"Heaven is North of the bridge"