God Bless Dads!

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

RMulhern

God Bless Dads!

Post by RMulhern »

My Dad whom is 89 and "running strong" taught me many things over the years! In 1948 when I was 8 years old....he taught me how to cast bullets. We we "pore" as owl crap basically; always enough to eat and clothes on our backs but in those days.....$$$$$ were mighty hard to come by! Couldn't buy store bought bullets so we cast bullets to shoot revolvers/pistols in .38 and .45 caliber and also for .30 caliber rifle which were in '06. We used gas checks on the rifle bullets and they shot fantastic at around 1800 fps with no leading! After "jining" the Army in '58....Uncle Sam gave me all the ammo I could shoot up for free and for a long spell thereafter....no more casting.....until the Rdnck talked me into getting involved in BPCR. But all that knowledge Dad had taught me came right back and now....ain't no problem pouring good bullets! Did these this AM in about 30 minutes. All within .2 grain and didn't have to throw not one back! Thank God...for great Dads!! :lol: :D :lol:

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mulher ... m=b1fa.jpg
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

Sharpsman: once nice set-up that you have there. Nothing like having the ability to walk outside & test a load....

I didn't know that Billy Dixon was a member of the Craft.
Buckskinner

Bullets

Post by Buckskinner »

Sharpsman

Sounds like we came from the same poor farm!! Right down to the .38 and 06 except mine was a .357. Bullets sure look fine, some would say that's them Paul Jones moulds but Paul can't save you if you can't pour correctly!!
Good work
Gary
Here's to the American Front line men and women where every they are!!!
James M

Post by James M »

Sharpsman,
Don't forget to pay yourself a range fee :wink:
Your Bear's Den is the nicest work room I ever saw.
Do you ever shoot past 1000 yards?

James M
Received my Shiloh catalog :D waiting for my engraving order kit
Planning my Sharps order, lots of Photoshop'n
Smokin

Post by Smokin »

Sharpsman,

Those are some beautiful bullets you have there! Now, while I am not of the artisan level that you have attained, I thought that I might be of workman level approaching craftsman status. Seeing this subtle challenge to my pride, I went directly out to my casting suite, heated up the pot and moulds, and proceeded to cast many, many bullets. While I haven't weighed them yet, I feel that once I have culled those with inclusions, crud, incomplete fills, parting line flashes, whiskers, and boxing doll bottoms, I may have a couple to photgraph myself. But probably no more than four. Lookin good, Loosiana!

Oh, by the by, that "flat" is an impressive looking bullet container. Mind telling us who strive to achieve where you may have procured such? I feel that that flat may just be able to cure all my casting woes; it is that impressive.

Smokin, castin, and generally stumblin about
Smokin

Member in tall standing of the Frozen Tundra Chapter, Flat Earth Society.
RMulhern

Loading blocks

Post by RMulhern »

Smokin

The loading blocks came from:

http://www.sinclairintl.com/cgi-bin/cat ... type=store

They come in a very good heavy-duty plastic type or red oak wood! When I cast I weigh as I go...and if the casted bullet is within my tolerances...I just set it into the block. Very seldom....after preheating the mould...do I have to set one aside! IMO...PJ moulds are hard to beat!! :lol: :roll: :lol:
RMulhern

Artisan level

Post by RMulhern »

Smokin

<<while I am not of the artisan level that you have attained>>

:oops: :roll: :oops: By golly...you're plumb embarrassing me! :oops: :oops: :oops: I'm just a "dumb ole Irish redneck" what loves to shoot Sharps rifles!

Howdy! http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mulher ... m=3c29.jpg