Bullet breach seating tool

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Lead Pot

Bullet breach seating tool

Post by Lead Pot »

A while back I requested information on where I could find a bullet breach seating tool.Some one responded with a name and phone number of a fellow in Colorado that makes them.I missplaced the number.
Can someone please help :?: :?:
I know these are used more in Scheutzen matches, but they also work good most all of our shooting.

Kurt
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

The fellow I know about is:
Scott Ross
P.O. Box 263
Chester, MT 59522

His safety cartridge seater is (was) $30. 59522 doesn't sound like the right ZIP code for MT does it?? I would bet the ZIP for MT starts with a "9".

His user ID here on the forum is Longrider, maybe he will chip in and tell us if all this info is correct.
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Lead Pot, this is from an ad in the SSRJ.

The "Ultimate" breechseater

Russ Weber
PH 970 931 2836
18205 Hwy 141
Whitewater, CO 81527

E-mail russweber@juno.com

Hope this helps you, Randy
Randy Ruwe
RichBratlee

Post by RichBratlee »

nope 59522 sounds right--I grew up in Deer Lodge--59722 and Livingston--59047
SHILOH 1
USN EM1 (78-83)
Sporter#3 45-70 military butt 34" standard MVA Long range and MVA standard front insert

People with weapons are citizens: People without are subjects!!
PowderFlask2

Post by PowderFlask2 »

This is the one I use, works great but have no experience with others

http://home.mcn.net/~livn4god/Seater.htm
woodpuppy

Post by woodpuppy »

OK, now that I've seen one, whaddya do with it?
Montana Roughrider .45-70
PowderFlask2

Post by PowderFlask2 »

sometimes fouling gets a little thick and the bullet doesn't want to chamber, now you have pushed it in to try to get it in and its stuck and will not come back out either

grab the handy seater and push it in, it will probably be a flyer but in competition you at least can start shooting again
Brent

Post by Brent »

Whoa! There are cartridge seaters and bullet seaters. Two very different tools for very different problems. The website that Powderflask2 directed you too is for a cartridge seater. A bullet seater is much much different. I can't show you a picture of one however.

Brent
Lead Pot

Post by Lead Pot »

No this just seats a bullet, not a loaded cartridge.

Randy that name Weber might be the one. Thank you, I will drop him a line and see.

TNX.All Kurt
Lead Pot

Post by Lead Pot »

Omahaw> it was Russ Weber,I just takled to him and he is making one for my.
TNX. Randy for your help.

Kurt
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Lead Pot, you are entirely welcome :D :!: Let me know how it works out for you. I have been thinking about having one made for my .38.55 Ballard Schutzen rifle. I think it would be a hoot to try :) Best, Randy
Randy Ruwe
Lead Pot

Post by Lead Pot »

Randy> I have used them before with the .32-40, but it went with the rifle.
The scheutzen boys favor them, and they are a boost if you paper patch.It gives you the extra volume for the lube and card wads with out giving up the room for the powder charge.
I can use a 85+ grain 2f charge in the .40-70 if I feel the need.and just short of 100 gr in the .45-90.

Kurt
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

A Fellow Shooter once made up one for my Win M1885, .32-40 WCF . (Don’t ask me where it is or what happened to the bullet seater. Things did disappear when we moved inter-state.)

IIR, he took one of my fired cases, drilled & tapped the primer pocket to accept a length of threaded rod, which he then soldered in place. Next he took a section of Delrin or fiberglass dowel, turned it to fit the case mouth, drilled & tapped it to accommodate the threaded rod, then cut a screw driver slot in the other end. By turning the section of Delrin/fiberglass dowel in/out, I was able to adjust the amt. of seating depth.

I’ve also seen some made up w/ the in/out adjustment @ the primer pocket end.

A little bit of adjustment went a long way & I needed to keep the .32-40’s throat/chamber scrupulously clean to ease the bullet into the rifling w/o too much resistance. Was a 1st Class PITA w/ BP, easier w/ a duplex load, & the easiest w/ Nitro/White powder.

I’ve also seen Shooters just make up a “plug case”. Take a section of wood, fiberglass or whatever dowel that fits the case mouth & by trial & error (probably more error) trim the dowel to a length that gives you a satisfactory seating depth.

The only one that I’ve ever seen for a Sharps M1874 was a toggle-link design that fit into the breech block mortise. The Shooter told me for a large dia & heavy bullet, he needed something w/ a little more leverage than what was provided by the breech block lever to seat the .45 cal. bullet.
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

In real life may you be the bad ass that you claim to be on social media....