What am I doing wrong?

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

wwben47

Post by wwben47 »

Hey guys..Thanks to all of you for so many good suggestions...Arnie got my curiosity up..i wondered about the size of the expander plug..took it out measured it...456..!!!@0%# it stays at .456 for approximately .676 of an inch..then goes to .483 grrrrrrrr!..There is a VERY short "step" (Approx .060) where the diameter goes to .461 then goes to the .483. With yalls suggestions and some help from Lee Stone, I was able to finally get a bullett seated to proper depth but it had a slight cut in the nose and when i crimped in the profile crimp die, and then chambered the round it shoved it on back in the case..(probably over expanded from the 483??)
Twenty two days till Harlans shoot..and im gonna be chunkin rocks at the target at this rate! lol
I dont know of anyone in this area i can go watch (southeast West Virginia)..if anyone else does would appreciate knowing who it is..Buckeye Shooters been helping me a lot, but its 4 hours to his place from here.
Ahhh well..its worth it!! Love this #3!!!!
Shoot it?..I caint even see it!
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

wwben47, follow Gunny's advice on using the epoxy or whatever in the cup of the seating die. You will get rid of the deformed noses! Randy
Randy Ruwe
RD146

Frustration

Post by RD146 »

wwben47: I sense a bit of frustration and a couple of things that you could change in your loading process. Not a problem. It sounds as though you are making it more difficult than it really is. I have walked the path with my 45x2.4" before all the kinks were worked out. If you are interested, e-mail me on this board and I will explain how I load and what works for me.

Regards from the land of the Yankton Sioux
RD146
BuckeyeShooter

Post by BuckeyeShooter »

Hey Wes, sounds like your not havin any fun buddy :cry: . I'll give you a call tomorrow to see if I can help you out some. I should have told you about the JB weld in the seater plug to make it fit your bullet, but you know we only had limited time and we covered a lot in it. I think I had told you not to obsess with the compression issue too much and Gunny just confirmed what I was trying to tell you. You don't need to kill yourself trying to get ready for Harlans shoot, as you know I got plenty of 45-70 loaded. That load seems to shoot pretty good in your gun and there's plenty for both of us. I'm probably going to shoot the 45-110 more anyways. I'll talk to you tomorrow.
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" -Benjamin Franklin-
arnie

Post by arnie »

wwben47.Call Buffalo Arms tomorrow and order a couple of expander plugs that will work on your die set .Get one .458-462 and one .459-462 and try them after sizing your brass.After fire forming your brass you can probably get away with turning your sizing die up one turn so your not over working your brass.Make sure you tell them you want one that flares the mouth slightly .Usually it will say .458-.462 on the expander .The length of the body of the expander will be .458 and right at the top it will flare up to .462.After you get good at loading you may want to get a neck sizing dies that uses bushings and only sizes the neck of the case .Arnie
rcasto

Post by rcasto »

Hey Wes! Great meeting you last Saturday. I'm glad you're learning to load for that fine rifle you have. Not to add fuel to the fire - or more info for you to sort out - but I prefer the Buffalo Arms .457-.461 for my 45-70. My rifle seems to like it a lot too. I do size my bullets to .458 and with the .461 second diameter, I don't have to have any crimp at all, nor do I need to even straighten the flare. Just seat them forget the crimp and they chamber very smoothly. Hope that helps.
RC
wwben47

Post by wwben47 »

A good evening to all!..Life is GOOD! lol Never did get the 405 grains to load without the nose being mangled..Will use the epoxy trick soon as i get another seater. Loaded some lyman 457125`s that Buckeye gave me..72 grs. 2F Goex. Put four in about an inch and 3/4 at 100. First time I have ever been so pleased with a two inch group that i took a picture of it lol. I used the 405`s as foulers..they went all over the place..I did notice the holes the Lymans made looked a bit ragged as if they werent hitting straight, but for that kind of group starting out I will take it if they go in sideways!
I want each of you to know your advice is deeply appreciated! Once I read..and reread... the posts you guys made, things seemed to click into place on the drop tubing and compression. Perhaps PJ or SB needs to consider making custom seating stems??!!..Seems a shame to put flaws in a well cast bullet.
Shoot it?..I caint even see it!
rcasto

Post by rcasto »

Paul Jones will make you a perfect seating plug when he cuts your mold. It's in a Redding micrometer top seating die and works very well.
RC