Marples tang sight on a shiloh '74 carbine/Riflesmith Beech

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Gary Edgington

Marples tang sight on a shiloh '74 carbine/Riflesmith Beech

Post by Gary Edgington »

I just mounted a Marples tang sight on my carbine (50-70). The gun already has an extra high front silver blade. Yet at the tang sights lowest elevation it still shoots 10-12" high at 100 yrds. Anyone have any experience with these sights. They seem like they'd be ideal for hunting. As an aside I also tried a Beech from Riflesmith (gold plated) it's a beauty, but the blade is way to short. The gun shot reallllllly high. Anyone out there with suggestions, remedies for either problem. The Beech blade is for use with the shiloh semi buckhorn. I'd like to know what Kirk or someone else might suggest with that Marples sight. I've got a 28" #3 in 50-90. Thought I might try it on that. Will the longer sight radius make a positive difference. ?

Thanks

Gary (aka confused in California)
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Hi Gary, I think you would be much happier with a vernier say "130 from MVA, this makes a much better hunting package with the beach front. If you still want to use the marbles thing, you will have to work the front sight down, and then you will be on for 100 yards. I have found that when you do this, the marbles is not fine adjustment enough and you will miss a 43, 62 or a 150 yard shot, you see what I mean, you will find yourself doing a lot of Kentucky holding, which if your lucky and hit, will probably turn into a tracking chase. Been there and done it. Can't beat a range finder and an accurate tang. Hope this helps, Thanks Kirk
Gary Edgington

Beech

Post by Gary Edgington »

Thanks Kirk, sounds good. I've got a MVA 130 already. I'll give her a try. But how do I get the Riflesmith Beech Blade to work with your Semi Buckhorn. It shoots way too high on my '74 carbine.

Thx

Gary
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

I have never seen the riflesmith beach, The MVA is the other way around, you need a full buckhorn being taller than the semi to get it up on the target. Depending on how high it is shooting, you may have room to deepen the semi buckhorn. A carbine has a pretty short sight radius, so you are not looking at a lot of change to the sight to make a large point of impact change on the target.