NEW Tang Sight

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Bumper

NEW Tang Sight

Post by Bumper »

:arrow: Received my Ron Heilman tang sight for my Ballard 38-55 last Friday. The sight was mounted and checked for being verticle to the front spirit level and was spot on. The windage adjustments are tight (no slop) and the aperture was tapped for the Lee Shaver Hadley eyecups I use on my Browning BPCR's. I'm busy loading up the 40-65 for the Cyber Shoot but will bring the Ballard and some loads to see how they perform at longer distances. For the money this tang sight looks to be a bargain. Ron will mark the staff for left or right hand shooters. Rbump
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Bumper, what bullet are you shooting in your Ballard .38-55? Randy
Randy Ruwe
Minnesota AL

Sight

Post by Minnesota AL »

Bumper,

When the sight is in the vertical shooting position, is there any side to side motion detectable at the top of the staff - can you move it left or right?

I have about .025" of movement at the top of my Zika sight. Looks like about half comes from the sight base mount (something I can perhaps shim tighter) and half from the soule screw ajustment barrel. If I'm careful about remembering to raise the sight with some slight left sideways pressure it will sit in about the same place each time, but if I bump it to the right it will not return to a steady position (makes me wonder what my hat has been doing to my sight settings).

Wondering if I might want to replace my sight, at a recent shoot I asked around a little to see if this movement is common. A Parts Unknown sight had probably more movement than my Zika. An MVA sight was rock solid - I couldn't see any movement. A Hoke was the same, and those can be adjusted for tightness.

Al
Minnesota AL
Uriah SASS#53822
ironramrod

Post by ironramrod »

Minnesota Al,

I understand your frustration; makes you want to lay the sight on the ground and back over it on your way to town to get a real sight, huh. Been there, done that myself.

I put a Ron Heilman mid range soule sight on my Browning 1885 several months ago, and have been well pleased with it. The reason was that the original Browning sight had exactly the wobble that you describe, but worse; it would wobble about 3/16" from side to side and about 3/8" or so from front to back. The results on the target were obvious. The worst part was that I would shoot just enough good groups to make me think it was me and not the sight. I finally sent the sight back to Browning for repairs and they completely overhauled it at no charge, and shooting precision improved immediately. However, the Browning sight already had a proven record of getting loose, so now it is a spare sight.

Anyway, the Heilman sight is a quality instrument in every way. The sight is very solid, and is plumb with the front sight and the barrel using every method I have tried. Additionally, Mr. Heilman is more than willing to work with if you have some special needs (e.g. larger hole in the peep; vernier graduations on either side of the staff to accomodate right or left handed shooters). Re: background; Mr. Heilman was the armorer for the U.S. Army marksmanship unit for about 20 years. Additionally, the price was right; $260 delivered to my front door. I have seen several MVA and Hoke sights, and they are very good sights as well. However, they are pricier.

Mr. Heilman doesn't have a website and I don't think he advertises anyplace that I know of, but you can reach him at r.a.heilman@worldnet.att.net. He will e-mail you a catalog of products/prices so you can see what he has available. Good luck.

Regards
Bumper

Post by Bumper »

:arrow: Omaha Poke, For the 38-55 I'm presently using a Lyman mould that casts a bullet weighing 336gr with the 30:1 alloy I get from MidwayUSA. Using a newly purchased Waage pot my casting efforts are much more consistant (.5gr spread). I tried the Rowell ladle but do better with my Lyman dipper so will stay with it for now. Rbump
Bumper

Post by Bumper »

:arrow: Minnesota Al, There is no side to side movement with the Heilman sight and no slop in the windage adj at all. I will take the rifle to Mexia along with 100rnds just to see how the sight, rifle, and loads (nut behind the butt) do at Silhouette distances. Rbump
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Bumper and Al:

If y'all haven't tried one, I would also very highly recommend Ron's front spirit level globe sight. The spirit level is mounted inside the hood and the hood has a slot machined into it to admit more light on both the spirit level and the sight insert (Uses Lyman 17A inserts. Lee Shaver sells them.). This is the "Trigger Dr. illumination modification" as the "Doc" is who made the suggestion to Ron and Ron has incorporated it into his front sight design. I like this front sight better that any other I've tried. Also, it is not as bulky and therefore not as vulnerable as any of the other spirit level sights I've seen. I gave away my MVA 113 spirit level globe sight. It is an excellent sight, but I like Ron Heilman's better.
Lee Stone
Minnesota AL

Sight

Post by Minnesota AL »

Thanks for all the input on Ron's sight. I sent him and email and we'll see what he has.

I just got the MVA spirit level with windage adjustment (112 I think), so I'm just looking for a rear sight now.

Al
Minnesota AL
Uriah SASS#53822
Matthew_Q

Post by Matthew_Q »

I recently received one of Ron Heilman's long range soule sights... it is a GREAT sight. I mounted it, and GUESSED at elevation at 100 yards, and it was shooting where I aimed. For what it cost, it is a GREAT sight. I actually feel bad. I think I ripped Ron off!! He could get more for such great work!

For me, it's great, because I'm on a budget anyway, but budget or no, it is a great sight, and I'd recommend it. As soon as I get a round tuit, I'm going to order one of his front sights, too.