Molds and Casting

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Headhunter

Molds and Casting

Post by Headhunter »

Howdy Guys,

I have some questions on Molds.

I am preparing to purchase a mold for my Shiloh 45-110. I have been buying bullets and now getting to the level that I need to start casting my own. I would like a Postell type mold that I can load bullets for practice and I would also like a good Custom Mold for seriously perfect long range bullets with certified 20-1. I was thinking about the Paul Jones line for my good mold and maybe a Lyman Postell for practice using WWeights and lead I have laying around.

What about the Hoch Nose pour molds?

What do you all do for mold prep and storage care?

thanks,

Headhunter
Grizz

Post by Grizz »

Save your money. I have tried the Hoch 550 grain nose pour mould. The 500 RCBS and the Lyman 500 grain moulds. Most of the time the moulds were lacking the quality to cast great bullets with. I also have the Paul Jones 540 grain 45001 mold. My recommendation is that you go with the Paul Jones mould in whatever design you wish and handles. Forget about the others. If you are looking for a hunting mould then use one of the Paul Jones units as well. They cost a little more but the cast bullet as a result is also much better.
When you are casting you will have some bullets that are not the ones you wish to shoot in competition. Not any fault of the mould it will be your method of casting that will create the problem. Most of the time they will be just a couple of tenths of a grain out of the range that I wish to shoot. I usually have my timing a little off that causes this. Use these second bullets for your general plinking.
Using only one mold will give you the practice you need to pour better bullets. Much like shooting the rifle itself.
For care after use go with the Jones recommendations and you cannot go wrong. Give Paul or Dave a call the number is on their web site.
Life is to short to shoot an ugly rifle.
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

I use Lyman 457125 Gov, 457132 Postel, Paul Jones 45001 Creedmoor and PJ 45003 Smerker, among other moulds. I have a lot of moulds but I haven't even begun to catch up with Mike Venturino's collection :roll:

My Lyman moulds are very good and I like and use them a lot. But my Paul Jones moulds are my favorite.

I've been casting since 1971 when I first started reloading. When I finish casting I prep my mould by letting it cool and then wrapping it (complete with handles) in a dry cloth and puting it back on the shelf to await the next session. That way I've nothing to clean off come the next casting session. I have never had the first hint of rust or any other problem with any mould I've ever used. Naturally the storage shelf is in a closet in my airconditioned house, but I have found no need to do anything special other that to let the mould cool and then wrap it so that the moulds do not contact each other and possibly damage each other.

If you haven't already, take a look at Paul's website:

http://www.pauljonesmoulds.com/
Lee Stone
Rdurk

Post by Rdurk »

Another point you may want to consider is that the Paul Jones moulds .. based on my limited experience (have a Saeco mould for my 38-55 and a Brooks mould for 40-65). I've only casted about 2000 bullets to date.. but the PJ mould is easier to use. The mould opens easier, the bullets are truer or more round, and it is much more enjoyable to spend 1-2 hours using the PJ mould than the others. If you enjoy casting .. you will find it more enjoyable with the PJ mould. If you don't enjoy casting, but look at it as a necessary evil in order to shoot these great rifles, it will be less of a pain casting with the PJ mould. Like they say .. an opinion. Good shootin.
Jim Watson

Post by Jim Watson »

Unfortunately, I do not have a Jones mold; I haven't even seen one in use. But I have never heard or read anything but good about them.

I HAVE seen several other big name brands of molds in use. None were enough better than my Lyman to be worth the money difference to me. Some were not as good, period. I have quite a good Lyman. I am told I was lucky, about one chance in three. So why make the bet and risk having to put up with the frustration of an indifferent mold? Get a Jones and have a $182 mold to go with your $2000+ rifle. You do not need a practice mold.
e15cap

Post by e15cap »

I picked up my Jones mould at his shop and he put some bullets cast from it on an optical comparator. I beleive the magnification was 10,000 but it may have been more. Anyhow every dimension was exactly were it should have been and the bullets fall out of the mould. Money well spent and if you can pick it up from him do it. roger
Tasmanian Rebel

Post by Tasmanian Rebel »

HH, I think you're on the right track with a Lyman Postell and Paul Jones moulds. I was lucky and my first Lyman Postell threw a round bullet that shot fantastic in my 45-70. One problem I have found with Lyman moulds however is that they appear to be a little soft and seem to go South after 8-10,000 bullets even with careful treatment during and after casting. Another problem is that I've bought 5 Lyman Postell moulds since this first one and they haven't shot as well as my first mould. The Lyman Postell is a wonderful timeless design but the quality of these moulds leaves something to be desired if one is a high volume caster and the moulds seem to go south right before an important match. Paul Jones makes a super mould and is a fine person to deal with on the phone. I always learned something when I talked to him about moulds or casting bullets. The poster here who posts as Rdnck has had good luck with a PJ bullet in his 45-110. Another great mould-maker you may want to consider is Steve Brooks. I recently had him to make me a bullet with the same dimensions as my pet Postell and he came darn close and the bullet actually performs maybe just a tad better than my original Lyman. He's a top-notch competitor who's at the top of the food chain and knows what will work. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think I saw somewhere that Brook's moulds led the field at this years' Nationals at Raton by a fairly substantial margin.
I have had success with Rapine mould release but try to keep it out of the inside of the mould. I live in an extremely humid environment but have had success with keeping the mould sprayed with either WD-40(what Paul Jones reccommends) or Ballistol. When I first started this I was a little paranoid about rust formation and would keep the moulds in airtight tupperware after spraying but don't do this any longer as I wasn't getting any rust by keeping them out and coated with above mentioned protectants. ( I also pour so many darn bullets it got to be a messy pain opening these things). I don't think you can go wrong starting out with a L. Postel and a PJ Creedmore to answer your first question. Good luck!
T. Rebel
Chairman
Terrapin Creek FES
BuckeyeShooter

Post by BuckeyeShooter »

Headhunter, get the Paul Jones 45001 and that should be all you need. I shoot this bullet out of both my 110's and it works real well so far. Follow Pauls advice and keep the mould prep away from your expensive mould, you don't need it. When your done casting and the mould cools give it a good spray of WD-40 and put it away till next time. I store mine in my loading room in my house so I don't put them in anything. If I were keeping them in a non temp controlled enviroment I would wrap them up in a plastic baggie after spraying. When I take mine out to cast again I just wipe it off and set it on the pot to heat up. The WD-40 will be gone with the first couple bullets you pour.
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" -Benjamin Franklin-
Headhunter

Post by Headhunter »

Guys,

I really appreciate all of your tips and experience. One thing I have learned in my life is "I" will never be satisfied until I have the best. Buy the best once.

Thanks all,

Headhunter
Pathfinder

Post by Pathfinder »

Headhunter,
Expensive does not always equate to BEST. For $75 ( I don't know how he can make them for that!) you can get the 545gr. LR mould from Bernie at Old West Bullet Moulds here in Fruita, Colo.. It is a Cherry cut brass mould & casts a great 1000+ yd. bullet. It has shot sub minute of angle groups for me. You can get in touch with him via e-mail at allisonmonument@aol.com Also, I have shot my smallest groups (200 yds.) with a $14.95 Lee mould (casts 485 in W/W), but is too light for LR in wind, but in light (5-8 mph) I was able to hit the 1538 yd. Indian 2 out of 5 at the Vernal "Billy Dixon" shoot.
Good luck, ........Pathfinder