rear dovetail?

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Tenmm

rear dovetail?

Post by Tenmm »

I'm working towards ordering my first Sharps, and looking at the sight options. I'm thinking of a semi-buckhorn for the rear, but whats the dovetail for? On the order form it looks like a seperate deal, but is it? I'm just trying to get my poop in a group before I actually call and order. thanks!
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

The dovetail is what holds the sight chair which holds either the semi or full buckhorn. So, if you are wanting a buckhorn you will be getting a dovetail. Some guys who shoot comp. use tang sights which the buckhorn gets in the way of, so they just eliminate the whole works. You can however take the buckhorn off, leaving the chair and it will work just fine. Hope this helps, Thanks, Kirk
RowdyBill

Post by RowdyBill »

[quote="Kirk"]The dovetail is what holds the sight chair which holds either the semi or full buckhorn. So, if you are wanting a buckhorn you will be getting a dovetail. Some guys who shoot comp. use tang sights which the buckhorn gets in the way of, so they just eliminate the whole works. You can however take the buckhorn off, leaving the chair and it will work just fine. Hope this helps, Thanks, Kirk[/quote]

I assume the LRE doesn't even have a rear notch cut, which is good in my case.
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

This year the express will come std. with a dovetail, however you do not have to get it. Thanks Kirk
RowdyBill

Post by RowdyBill »

[quote="Kirk"]This year the express will come std. with a dovetail, however you do not have to get it. Thanks Kirk[/quote]

Cool, and if I don't get it, I assume there is no notch cut with a blank filled in it. Don't want to mar the appearance. Guess I can specify once I order.

By the way, perhaps the real issue is how high the dovetail stands. Could you guys put a picture of it on the site, or perhaps just have a section that shows a close-up of the different rear site mountings?

Thanks.
wolfie

Post by wolfie »

if you ever get near waller tx you can look at my rifle it has the semi buckhorn on a heavy barrel.just let me know
B.J. Spalding
"I came I saw and I forgot why I am here."
SHILOH#1
RowdyBill

Post by RowdyBill »

[quote="wolfie"]if you ever get near waller tx you can look at my rifle it has the semi buckhorn on a heavy barrel.just let me know[/quote]

Thanks!