Hunting 2015

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Gunnison

Hunting 2015

Post by Gunnison »

Any body start drawing tags for this year yet? I drew a Buck tag for unit 54, second rifle season, and an archery elk tag for unit 55. Who else has gotten lucky this year?
SOURDOUGH

Re: Hunting 2015

Post by SOURDOUGH »

Drew an either sex elk tag in units 64 - 65
This ain't Australia, and you ain't Matthew Quigley!
Gunnison

Post by Gunnison »

Excellent!! Good Luck!
bobw

Post by bobw »

Just found out today, I drew my SD Black Hills Archery Elk tag for ANY Elk after 17 years of applying. bobw
bobw
Sarge

Post by Sarge »

Congrats Bobw! May I ask what kind of archery gear you use?
bobw

Post by bobw »

Sarge, I have a doz/ 15 different recurves and 1/2 doz compounds, the newest bow I have is a 25 year old Browning with cams. I like Bear Razorheads (yeah real old school) and Easton XX75's as well as still using my fingers. I don't figure on going out and dropping a grand for a new bow + the latest arrows and accessories. Just going to use what has been mine for years that I am comfortable with. Trying to keep up with the Jones is highly over rated. :) bobw
bobw
Sarge

Post by Sarge »

Bobw,

I was hoping it was old school/traditional, instead of balanced and blueprinted with stabilizing lasers and titanium bearings. Keeping up with the Jones is highly overrated, indeed, along with technology.

Good luck!
jeb

Post by jeb »

Technology IS overrated BUT drawing that Elk tag after 17 years wasn't. Was it?
bobw

Post by bobw »

No it sure wasn't. The odds weren't the best. I accessed the draw stats and found that for the group who had 10+ years of preference there were 65 tags and 637 applicants about 1 chance in 9.8. For me that's the best odds I've had on a SD elk drawing in a long time. I went and bought a Powerball immediately but luck seems fleeting...... The season runs from 9/1-9/30 the best time of the year up in the hills I am looking forward to it. bobw
bobw
Gunnison

Post by Gunnison »

For my archery gear I shoot a longbow, wood shafts with 190gr Grizzly heads. First year shooting wood arrows. So far so good. For my deer tag I'll carry my Sharps look-a-like rifle. Can't wait for fall!!
Tebbeman

Post by Tebbeman »

Darn, here in Texas all I keep getting drawn for is feral hogs and coyotes....oh well I'll just keep hammering them. :D :lol:

KT
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you...Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul & the other for your Freedom!
Denali

Post by Denali »

Congratulations Gunnison and Bobw!

Best of luck with your hunts this year!

This fall I will hit the half-century mark and for the first time in my life I struck gold and got a WY moose tag!
I started 15 years ago on that effort.

I drew up a new PP bullet for my 44-77 and had the mold made. Now to do some range work.
My Fox longbow will accompany me for the first 3 days hunting during the archery season then the Sharps takes it from there. Been tryin to shoot too many arrows an pulled a muscle in my back. Letting it heal right now. Hopefully I will shoot my rifle to test the new bullet in a couple days.
Marathonman

Post by Marathonman »

Nice work on drawing the Wyoming moose tag! You obviously have a bull tag if it took 15 years to draw. I've killed two cows because I didn't think I would live long enough to draw a bull. :lol: :lol:

Anyway, here's a link for my cow moose taken in Wyoming's snowy range. It's on page two second picture from 2012.

http://www.shilohrifle.com/trophy.php
I had gotten possession of a big "50" gun early in the fight, and was making considerable noise with it.

~Billy Dixon~

Adobe Walls 1874
Denali

Post by Denali »

Congratulations on the mooses Marathonman!

I just cast and loaded some 44-77 rounds today I'm going to try out tomorrow with my new bullet (Accurate Molds, catalog number 44-410P). Yes a bull tag.

If the weather gets really crappy, my dad's 1950 Savage 99 in 300 savage with handloads will be my backup rifle.
Marathonman

Post by Marathonman »

Cool as it would be to have Dad's rifle along as a backup I highly recommend that you leave it home. If you don't you will likely reach for it instead of your Sharps when you spot that big bull within stalking distance. Several guys on the forum have more moose experience than me but I find the hard part of the hunt is finding them. Once you find them they're not particularly hard to get close on and pretty easy to kill. Take just your Sharps and if the weather gets bad wait an hour or two.

One thing I think is easy to overlook is your camera. Spend well and practice with it a lot before the hunt. I've written two articles for hunting magazines that were rejected solely because I had no pictures that were good enough. If someone is going with you make sure they're as good with the camera as you are. I spent an absolute fortune on an Alaskan brown bear hunt. I took a B&C trophy bear and have great pictures of my guide because only I knew how to take good ones! :shock:

Anyway, congratulations on our draw and good luck!

Dan
I had gotten possession of a big "50" gun early in the fight, and was making considerable noise with it.

~Billy Dixon~

Adobe Walls 1874