African Safari

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

BFD

Re: African Safari

Post by BFD »

buffalocannon wrote:The "idiot" in the video is Mark Sullivan, a PH from Phoenix
That explains both the cavalier attitude when approaching the animal and why he waited to draw the charge instead of immediately killing it on the ground (or even letting his client do it). I thought he had been banned in most areas by now.
BFD

Post by BFD »

buffalocannon wrote:The "idiot" in the video is Mark Sullivan, a PH from Phoenix
That explains both the cavalier attitude when approaching the animal and why he waited to draw the charge instead of immediately killing it on the ground (or even letting his client do it). I thought he had been banned in most areas by now.
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

the video raises several thoughts.
1) either poor shooting or lack of understanding of anatomy or poor terminal bullet performance in the initial shooting.
2)very cavalier attitude to where the muzzles pointed with the double rifle.
3)failure to fire a shot that would guarantee death would have avoided the charge. this is even wise with cattle, camels, and pigs, let alone African or Asiatic buffalo.
I have owned and used a 450 x 31/4" nitro express double, and could not fire 2 aimed shots as fast as that guy did.
probably did not have the incentive of the guy in the video.
another youtube video automatically followed involving a battle between a rhino and a buffalo, won by the rhino.
it would be interesting to know the cause of this fight.
keep safe,
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
buffalocannon

Post by buffalocannon »

Mark Sullivan appears to be fearless but not stupid. If his client does not hit the animal to stop it and the animal charges, Sullivan seems to wait until the last moment to fire both barrels of his .577 NE right into the sweet spot, and the animal goes down as if electrocuted, sometimes its nose sliding in almost to Sullivan's foot. I think it is great stuff and certainly seems more sporting than shooting an animal with a high powered rifle through a scope at 100 yards. He has one video of a hippo kill where the client-wounded hippo charges straight at Sullivan and looks like a truck when Sullivan finally shoots it, inches away. I hear that Sullivan gets paid big bucks for his prowess, courage, and knowledge, which is apparently substantial. His type of hunt is certainly not my cup of tea but I admire anyone with his balls. These days men with balls seem to be in short supply, to say the least.
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

buffalocannon,
while his courage is unquestioned, his muzzle awareness lacks professionalism.
really his whole act is more about him than about safety.
hunting with someone like that is a one off experience if you want to stay alive.
you can still be safe and be cool under pressure.
keep safe,
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
buffalocannon

Post by buffalocannon »

He is quite possibly an egomaniac but I suspect that there is no one else in the world that purposely hunts as he does. I admire his uniqueness in this cookie-cutter world. If I ever had the scratch or wherewithal to hunt lion, hippo, cape buffalo, leopard, elephant, rhino or any of the other of the so called dangerous game, I would certainly appreciate having him back me up with his double rifle. I believe that just being able to consistently hit what you aim at with a .577 NE is quite a feat.
FFG

Post by FFG »

Now, about that Sullivan hunt.
I thought it was a great video and great hunt, one that will be remembered for a life time.
Who wants to shoot a great and mighty animal while it is down ?
Seems like he was giving the Buffalo all due respect.
df

Post by df »

I guess some here would really call me a Looney for killing a cape buffalo last summer, with a bow.
My PH was carrying a 375 h and h and one of the trackers had a 404 Jeffrey.
sandhillcowboy1

Post by sandhillcowboy1 »

df wrote:I guess some here would really call me a Looney for killing a cape buffalo last summer, with a bow.
My PH was carrying a 375 h and h and one of the trackers had a 404 Jeffrey.
I would call that good shooting! Had to be an adrenalin rush also.

Rick
SHCB1