New 1863 Sporter - Arrived Downunder

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
AussiePete

New 1863 Sporter - Arrived Downunder

Post by AussiePete »

Yay ..... :D ... My new .50 caliber Shiloh Sharps 1863 Sporter has just passed through customs yesterday. One month short of 3 years from the placement of order I have actually held my rifle. Now I must apply for permission to purchase and have the rifle securely shipped across Australia to a gun dealer near me. I believe that in Queensland, because I already have registered firearms, I may not have to wait the 28 days after the registration application to receive permission to own the rifle .......... The 28 days is to prevent " heat of the moment" purchase of a firearm to shoot someone ....... :shock:
I'm so excited, l have already prepared paper cartridges, attached to Moose Mould's .50 caliber Christmas tree projectiles. Actually I made these about 6 months ago.
The rifle is absolutely beautiful, semi fancy wood, pewter tip, Hartford collar, medium range tang sights, and in.50 caliber. The metal to wood fit is perfect whilst the standard color case hardening is exquisite. A craftman has built this beautiful gun.
So now perhaps a much shorter wait until I'm able to finally take possession of the rifle. :)
Todd Birch

Re: New 1863 Sporter - Arrived Downunder

Post by Todd Birch »

And I thought that Canadian gun laws were ridiculous!

Welcome to the world of '63 Sharps rifles - where it all began. Both my '63 Military Rifle and SRC carbine are .50's. Please sent me contact info for the .50 caliber "Xmas Tree" bullets you mention.

I'm waiting on customs clearance for my new Shiloh #3 '74 Sporter in 45-70. Should be in my hands within 10-12 days.
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
Naphtali

Post by Naphtali »

Congratulations. I believe it arrived during the most favorable time of year for you.

Enjoy the warmth. I hope you create an opportunity to hunt your buffalo in Northern Territory.
When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. Jonathan Swift
Naphtali

Post by Naphtali »

Todd:

You, too, enjoy.

Like many of us in the mountain northwest who can, I hope you can create the opportunity to hunt bison.
When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. Jonathan Swift
Todd Birch

Post by Todd Birch »

Aussie Pete - you didn't tell me about your .50 "Xmas Tree" bullet and where it is available. What do the bullets weigh?

BC huntings regs disallow the use of BPCR's to hunt bison. Why? Years ago a woman put five rounds from her .270 into one and before it died. It steamrollered her into the snow. She survived. Now the regs state:

"Ammunition to hunt bison must be constructed with a 175 gr or larger bullet, which retains 2,712 joules (2,000 ft lbs) or more energy at 100m."

That means a .30-'06 could be used with a 180 gr bullet, but all the calibres that annihilated the buffalo are ineligible and you would be fined, lose your rifle and hunting licence if caught using one to shoot a bison.

Ain't bureaucracy great?
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
AussiePete

Post by AussiePete »

IT'S ARRIVED .......... :shock: ........ I JUST DON'T BELIEVE IT ................ IT'S ACTUALLY LAYING ON THE DINING ROOM TABLE .......

Wait ....... I just gotta check ............. yep, its still there, my brand spanking new Shiloh 1863 sports in .50 calibre and semi fancy wood gleaming ..... ever so softly. The Shiloh rifle, on closer inspection, coz now its home, is a work of art. True craftsmen have built this rifle, I'm so very happy with the finish, feel, look and most of all the quality.

Back to earth ..... :)

Hey Todd

The pure lead projectile I'll be using is a Moose Moulds .50 Christmas tree 395 grain bullet, catalog number: 515-395. This bullet mould can be purchased from Moose Moulds in America. Have a look at their web site: www.moosemould.com look under the heading "Products" and you'll see the "Sharps Christmas Tree" tag ......... enter and you'll find the beast. I bought mine some 12 or so months ago. The mould I bought came with single cavity and was fitted with a comfortable set of handles. If the pot's hot it makes a very good projectile.

Making The Paper Cartridge
To the pure lead Christmas tree projectile I have attached, using glue from a common type glue stick, a thin paper tube to hold the black powder. The paper I used is hair perming paper bought for a song from a hairdresser saloon. I found one sheet of perming paper, cut in halves, makes 2 cartridge papers.

Using a 45/70 brass cartridge shell as a former and with the smaller ring of the projectile, adorned with glue, I pushed the projectile into the case's mouth so as to just sit in the mouth snuggly but leaving some of the glued smaller ring visible/available.
I wrapped a cartridge paper around both the exposed and glue ladened bullet's smaller ring and the 45/70 former.
I then glued the edge of the paper into a cylinder/tube, much like the "roll your own" cigarettes ..... not that I smoke. The end of the paper tube is then pressed carefully into to glue around the smaller ring of the projectile.
With careful wiggling I disengaged the projectile from the mouth of the 45/70 case, ensuring that the paper was not dislodged from the projectile, and carefully slid the 45/70 out of the paper cylinder. Carefully does it and after a few mishaps it becomes quite easy.
What you have now is a projectile with a paper tube attached/glue to the end ......... a paper cartridge case.
After allowing the glue to dry overnight I then lubed the projectile by carefully hand forcing SPC lube into the canalures/grease grooves of the bullet.
Now I have the rifle in my hot little hands, and coz I can determine the powder quantity / chamber capacity, I can now charge my paper cartridges with powder, 1 1/2 FFG Swiss, and fold/seal the tube's end.

This coming Sunday its down to the range to let the Sharps 1863 talk .... I'll let you know how she went.

Cheers

Peter
J.B.

Post by J.B. »

Good to hear A.P. Sounds great. They certainly are works of art but tools to be used just the same. Have to keep us posted on your progress and results ..oh yes and a photo or two wouldn't go astray either. :wink: Seems waiting for these things on the other side of the world takes on an almost 'mystical ' quality. :) I find ..the wait is usually forgotten once the box is opened and the prize realised. Enjoy.

J.B.
"an experimental weapon..with experimental ammunition ? ...Lets experiment "
Todd Birch

Post by Todd Birch »

Hey Cobber - I give you the joy of your new rifle! I think you bought it in the right calibre. What is the capacity of the chamber?

And I thought that my methods of making up paper rds was labour intensive! You are sure going to appreciate Charlie Hahn's tubes if you can get your paws on them.
AussiePete

Post by AussiePete »

Hey Todd

The chamber capacity with the Christmas tree projectile is 95 grains of 1 1/2 Swiss.

Yes its labor intensive, but I kinda like that ....

Will report on the rifles debut tomorrow (Sunday 21 February)

Cheers

Peter
Todd Birch

Post by Todd Birch »

The use of Hahn's tubes will cut down on the powder charge.
craigos

Post by craigos »

Congrats AussiePete -- fellow Australian (Tasmanian) here , but i got out of Oz in 98 and now live in USA and can own stuff I cant own in Oz. Really pisses me off to here all the BS about how great he aussie gun laws are, my nephew is on a 2 yea waiting list just to sit the test to get a gun license down in Tassie. Its ridiculous ...
AussiePete

Post by AussiePete »

Hey Guys

Well I took the Shiloh Sharps 1863 Sporter down to the range on Sunday. I set up a target at 50 metres (approx 50 yards). Coz of the 95 grain Swiss 1 1/2 FFG loads I slipped on a shoulder pad ....... :wink:

Then the first shot ........... What a joy, so excited I didn't really register anything about recoil, and a hit on the target at 6 O'clock. :D

After 3 shots I discovered the recoil from the .50 cal 395 grain projectile and with the heavy barrel was very comfortable, so comfortable in fact that I quickly dispensed with the shoulder pad. In total I shot 20 rounds with no hang ups, misfires or needing to clean the action in any way, the action was as smooth on the 20th shot as it was on the first. However I did wipe the bore after every 3 shots. Oh I forgot, no soreness or tenderness in the shoulder area either.

Todd, no need to reduce the powder quantity via using Hahn tubes, and, I kinda like rolling my own ammo.

Accuracy ...... well it wasn't a day for any accuracy suffice to say that my last 4 shots at 50 metres grouped 32mm (1.25").

I've collected and shot black powder rifles, both cartridge and muzzle loading, for over 40 years and this is my favourite rifle, it fits, it works and is awesome, definitely worth the wait and cost.

I'm now looking forward to moving the target out to 100 metres and settling down to tune my loads. Then when I reckon I'm ready, moving the target to 200 metres and beyond. :)

Hey cargos ........ yeah a real bummer, tell your nephew to persist, the rewards gained from the shooting sport are great and many fold. And I envy the relative freedoms you enjoy in the gun world over there.

Cheers

Peter
Todd Birch

Post by Todd Birch »

Aussie - good on ya' mate! Nice shooting.

A few years ago I got into a postal match with some Shiloh '63 shooters. We shot out to 200 yds (metres in my case) and we were all surprised at the accuracy of these rifles. We were so green we didn't know how to get a windage adjustment on our Lawrence ladder sights.

Perhaps we ought to organize such an event again .....