above

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Jay Yuskaitis

above

Post by Jay Yuskaitis »

Hi folks, I have an early Farmingdale "63 in .54 caliber. I've yet to load it and shoot it to its full capacity. It was listed , back then, as a #3 sporter. I've been using "Charlies Tubes" for a fun shooting, comfortable rifle with a slip on leather recoil pad. I shoot it at 100 to 150 yards with a Baldwin Short Range tang sight, along with an old Shiloh Globe front sight I got way back then. With the Brooks Hahn bullet, and the Rapine .54, I've had a ball with this guy. I do love the "Old Reliable" roll markings on top of the barrel, along with the C.Sharps roll markings behind it. I never cared for the "black powder only"on any of my rifles.
Any era Shiloh '63 in my opinion, sure shows you the difference in quality of the crap being pushed upon us today. Jay Y.
Todd Birch

Re: above

Post by Todd Birch »

I've got six Shiloh's in the rack, a mix of '63's and 74's, Farmingdales and Big Timber rifles both. I do like the [Old Reliable] logo on the Farmingdale rifles, but calling the current Shiloh products "crap" is a bit much.

I also had a vey nice currently made '63 Sporter in .54 for a while, but I got tired of pushing those big bullets, even with Hahn's tubes that allowed the use of less powder. My '63 Military Rifle and SRC are both in .50 calibre.
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
AussiePete

Post by AussiePete »

Hi Jay

It could be read that you're saying that the Shiloh Sharpes is "crap" and it could be read that you're saying other brands are "crap".

I can only speak for the Shiloh Sharps as I have just taken delivery of a new Shiloh Sharps 1863 Sporter rifle in .50 calibre. I can attest to the high quality workmanship that has gone into a high quality rifle that obviously has been made by true craftsmen. The metal to wood fit is exceptional, the finish on both wood and metal, including the color case hardening, is exquisite. The action, although new tight, is smooth and sounds right, good. On the range it performs exceptionally well, with only the shooter's ability being the limiting factor ......
"CRAP" certainly not. This is one fine rifle that I'm proud to own.

That's my say on the matter.

Cheers
Jay Yuskaitis

Post by Jay Yuskaitis »

My BIG mistake. OTHERS!!!!
Please read the last sentence in my original post!
Jay Yuskaitis

Post by Jay Yuskaitis »

Hope asking you to read that last sentence isn't asking too much!
Todd Birch

Post by Todd Birch »

Nope. Got it this time. One of the pitfalls of 'lectronic communications is interpretation. The English language can be easily misunderstood.
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"