PHOENIX 1000 YARDS RESULTS

This is where you can place your scores from the matches. It uses an excel spread sheet! If you send me your sheet of scores I can put it on the forum and provide a link where everyone can view it.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Steve Rhoades

PHOENIX 1000 YARDS RESULTS

Post by Steve Rhoades »

Pictures and results are posted on: www.arizonasharpshooters.com
FOUNDER OF THE BRENT DANIELSON FAN CLUB
Jim Kidwell

Re: PHOENIX 1000 YARDS RESULTS

Post by Jim Kidwell »

Rhoades,
Is this the 2016 results or the 2015 results?????????????????
....................................Jim
You are a ghost driving a meat covered skeleton made from stardust riding a rock floating through space.
Fear nothing. (anon)……………………
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

pp shooters are becoming statistically valid.
for the few that shot them the average was good.
keep safe,
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

How many shot this without the use of a spotter?
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
bryany

Post by bryany »

Don, I don't think there were any "official" shooters going it alone. Like all matches, some spotters have better days than others and some don't even know how.

Bryan
“I wonder if God created man because He was disappointed with the monkey.” Mark Twain
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

True story that. I was just curious as to how many decided they didn't want to give up the "Cup" match.
Did Bob the fireman Englebach not attend this one?
CO

Post by CO »

And sometimes those that think they know how to spot really don't, and therefore think others can't spot, when in reality there's better spotters sitting in the background. Just saying----CO
bryany

Post by bryany »

Don, no Eglebach this year. His visa ran out or something.

CO, you're right, and also the only way to learn is to try, even if you're wrong.

Sometimes it looks like we know what we're doing, sometimes it doesn't.

Bryan
“I wonder if God created man because He was disappointed with the monkey.” Mark Twain
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Face it, all spotters are a bunch of diddle heads, unless of course you win, and then the spotter while still a diddle head , at least didn't get in the way of your victory. :lol: :lol: :lol: And of course if your spotter shoots a better score,,, well we all know what that was all about. :? :wink:
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Need to mention a very important factor about the World 1000, anybody could spot for anybody and anybody that wanted to could assist, watch, learn, seek, diddlehead or whatever if they so chose. Or, shoot alone.

Our good friend from the frozen north (Gunlaker) was just such a shoot alone shooter, but, when he was not shooting he was visiting other firing points and asking good questions and arriving at helpful conclusions that will add to his shooter spotter acumen in the future.

Phoenix, Byers then Raton in particular are less science than art on given days and like riding a unicycle, it is best to start on a trike before you go to a bike and before you saddle up on a uni.....just sayin' 8)

The flip side of that coin is where else will you see some of the contemporary practicing artists in trigger tugging and conditions divining congregate where you can benefit from the experience first hand in person. :?: :?: :?:

Think of it as Graduate School for the practitioners of today's black powder long range arts sprinkling some Swiss fairy dust over the landscape while doing the Kowa Bunga routine. :wink: :wink: :wink:

To be fair to Bryan Y he almost diddleheaded himself out of third place. That Cobber is a sneaky one. :roll:

Bottom line: You had to be there to benefit. By not being there you were a ............you fill in the blank.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
CO

Post by CO »

I spot for 1 .22 match and 1 BPCR match each month. Sometimes for two shooters at each match. One thing I always tell my shooters, "if you listen to me and do what I tell you, I'll beat you". It almost always holds true. CO
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

Don I did spot for myself and missed a few things. That and a serious problem with fouling made my score the lowest one for anyone that did not DNF. I've got plans to get over that once I finish this bottle of tequilla :-)

After the end of the practice session I was feeling pretty good. It took very little time to find my elevation and i seemed quite consistent. On the first day of the match I had several shots go low into the very top of the berm, on each relay. This was something that never happened to me at Eron's match. Not even once. On the second day, I switched over to my OE 1.5 loads ( I know, never develop loads at a match. Bu I have little choice ). That target started off very well. I had three tens in he first five shots. Then two mysterious low sixes. The rest went into the top of the berm, except for the last shot. I did a SWAG and cranked on a bunch of elevation to just get it anywhere on paper. I think I got an eight. The last target was much worse. That night I spent a lot of time removing hard fouling from the barrel, maybe an hour and a half.

The main difference between here an Eron's match was that in Phonix the barrel go too hot to hold. In Byers it was only a little warm. The ammunition used in Phoenix was exactly the same as what I used in Byers. Same lot of powder, alloy, same roll of Seth Cole paper, everything. It completely fell apart though.

Zack, I have to ask. What is Tia Arriba? Maybe I can use that as an excuse :-)

I don't think my wind calls were super horrible. I spent a relay on day three watching all of Robert's wind calls and comparing them to what I would do. I wasn't far off except for a few exceptionally brilliant big changes that Robert made where I would have been afraid to make such big moves. The really fast wind/mirage letoffs were something that I would have likely missed badly while spotting for myself though, as I'm not a fast shooter. It probably takes me six or seven seconds from my last peek through the scope before I can get a shot off.

I'm going to make a few changes for next time, and will start working with a .45-90 grease groove shooter so I have two rifles to bring to Eron's match.

It was good to meet all of you guys and I'll definitely be back next year.

Btw, Eric, were you also shooting a rifle with Dan's paper patch chamber?

Chris.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Gunlaker was a real asset to the World 1000, it is clear he is a fast learner and quite observant. Hope he sticks with it because he can be a contender and a positive influence in the sport. 8)

Tia Arriba, Tia is Spanish for Aunt, Arriba in Spanish means up or upper. I think refined high power shooters would call Tia Arriba an UPDRAFT. As opposed to a WIND SHEAR which conversely pushes the bullet down. :?

Unfortunately, the best way to determine either effect at Ben Avery is where the shot spotter is placed AFTER the shot. :oops: :oops:

Now, talking about day 3 at Ben Avery for Gunlaker. :D :D :D :D

The heat and humidity conditions at any moment that prevail at Ben Avery are like no other range, neither are the surface conditions. No vegetation on the ground, elevated firing points, bullet travel well above the flags, among others. Accept the conditions, monitor them and work as best you can within them. As the conditions increase, the goal moves from keeping your shooter centered to keeping them on paper.

For instance wind from front: Your shooters sighter #3 was an X. You notice the two targets to your right were center hits also. Next shot (of course first shot for score) is a 6 at two o'clock barely on the paper. :shock: You notice the two targets to your right were also up in the upper right hand corner. You have not taken your eyes off of the flags or scope for the duration. The LIKELY cause was T.A. from 10:30 area because prevailing wind was generally in your face. The clue is nothing in flags or mirage indicated a change from the condition the X was shot in.

Wind not from front: Last sighter shot center shot, next shot WOODY at 12, barely on paper. Prevailing winds to your back. Likely cause, Tia Arriba from six. Nothing visible to indicate the condition other than the placement of the shot spotter after the shot. If the hit is 10:30 to 11:00 the push up was likely from 4:30 to 5:00.

Think of it as an unseen modifying condition within a fairly constant observed prevailing condition. Spooky thought, que no? Scientific fact? No. :shock: Just my educated guess based on painful experience. :roll:

I think of hard fouling as inevitable and enhanced by low humidity, high evaporation rate, radiant heating and cumulative heat of combustion. Basically, humidity down, heat up, shooter needs to increase fouling control. For me, I GUESS at what the average highest negative condition for the string of fire will be and start with that level of control from shot one and watch the last patch as it exits the muzzle for each shot. If it is black I run another patch until the last patch is not black. :wink: Unexplained low shot may be fouling. Preventing hard fouling during a string is preferable to the potential futility of trying to reverse the effects once they have taken hold.

So there you go Chris, glad you and the Mrs made it home O.K. :D :D :D
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

Thanks Zack. The interesting thing about the fouling was this: I started off using two wet patches followed by a dry but found out that as the days progressed I had to switch to three wets and a dry. The dry patches were all coming out clean. When I later cleaned the rifle with Butches Black Powder Bore Shine, not much came out at all so the gun seemed clean. I then ran a tight dry patch through and scrubbed pretty good. Doing this would result in patches that would alternate between layers of black carbon followed by layers of brownish stuff that I think might have been cooked Ballistol as I use 10% Ballistol in my wiping fluid. Interestingly on the third day Orville gave me some patches soaked with Birchwood Casey cleaner and it made short work of the brown stuff.

I did notice that I was one of a very few people not using a nylon brush on my wiping rod. Most people seemed to scrub a bit when they wiped whereas I was just pushing straight through with a Delrin rod.

This part is pretty simple to fix though, I don't think it'll bit me again.

Orville and I definitely experienced a few weird things :-). If he'd shoot and the spotter disc came up in an unexpected location it'd often be the same on the nearby targets. There was one thing that I remember very clearly and it still makes no sense to me. The mirage and wind flags were all going very clearly right to left. I guestimated it was around five minutes of right wind needed. I missed right by about half the width of the target and actually needed to come back to zero to get back on paper. It's possible that the wind let off and then picked up after I lifted my head from the rifle, but it would have had to do the same thing twice in a row.

Chris.
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

This long range stuff is pure VOODOO I tell ya!!! :lol: :lol: