PHOENIX 1000 YARDS RESULTS

This is where you can place your scores from the matches. It uses an excel spread sheet! If you send me your sheet of scores I can put it on the forum and provide a link where everyone can view it.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Don McDowell

Re: PHOENIX 1000 YARDS RESULTS

Post by Don McDowell »

Sounds a lot like shooting at Raton, only more sand, than coal dust and lava... :shock:

Chris look forward to seeing you at Byers if not before. Hopefully that gun builder type guy gets my hi wall with the Dan T paper patch chamber done so we can run it a little bit this year,, but I suppose there's always next year. :lol:

Cody, no it's not pure voodoo, if it was pure voodoo it'll be easy, and they'ld prolly call it silloutte on paper. :mrgreen:
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Chris, Jackrabbit and (don't pay any attention to this Don), look at the equipment list of the top Phoenix shooters.

What do they have in common as far as equipment goes? :roll: :roll: :roll:

I have thought about sharing all of my wind and condition doping thoughts but every time I try to do that somebody comes up and questions or tries to discredit the information, so, I will keep buying my spiritually activated rabbits feet from BACO and my magic pixie dust from Midway and keep quiet so the diddleheads won't bother me. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

However, catch me at a match and what I say may make more sense.... :wink: This thread might make little sense if you were not at the match in Phoenix last week end. :P :P :P
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Well until Huey discloses where he buys his chicken bones, the rest of us are just throwing lead down range..
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

From what I have gleaned after many years of observation is the following:

The Great Hugh has fresh chicken feet flown in from Haiti and air dropped over his place in Trinidad at least a month before a match. He then carefully prepares and then cures them in the sun with the shank end in Colorado and the nail end in New Mexico with the shaft perfectly aligned with the earth's magnetic field. That part is known. :wink:

The unknown is the secret poltice he soaks them in immediately after putrification and prior to the sun soak. :roll: :roll: :roll:

That's his ritual for Colorado or New Mexico matches anyhow. 8) Yet he claims there is no Voodoo involved. :?
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

Don when I was shooting it felt like voodoo was needed, but when I sat behind Robert and Bryan with my spotting scope ( which I did for a number of relays) it was clear that they didn't need any voodoo, so there is hope for me yet :-).

Don I will be at Worland for the midrange match. That is if Wyoming is still accepting canucks :-). I assume you are still planning on going? I will have to send an email to Nick soon.

Chris.
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

Don McDowell wrote:How many shot this without the use of a spotter?
I should also mention that Orville did his own wind calls. I just kept score and only very occasionally he'd ask me if I thought if the conditions were still holding. Orville is an interesting guy to shoot with, and that Tollofson gun is pretty cool!

Chris.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Chris , Nick emailed this morning, the match is approved, he will get the flier and entry forms out on the net next week sometime. Dates will be June 4 and 5 same format as last year. See in Worland.
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

desert deuce wrote:Chris, Jackrabbit and (don't pay any attention to this Don), look at the equipment list of the top Phoenix shooters.

Zack that definitely is not lost on me. I am getting ready for an ASSRA match next month and then I'll be experimenting with some new Baco Money grease grooved Money bullets in my .45's. I will probably bring one of each ( PP and GG ) to Eron's match, depending on how load development goes.

Chris.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Chris on those BACO greasers, if it's 45-70 load 69 grs of the OE 1 1/2 and .060 wad, in the 90 go with 81 and the same wad.
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

what was the time limit for a string?
did you have to use all your sighters, or could you go for score after 1 or 2 sighters?
keep safe,
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Bruce, 20 minutes maximum for sighters and score. First shot on paper was sighter #1, maximum three sighters.

Had to go for score after three sighters. Could go for score any time you wished.
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

thanks zack
ventum est amicus meus
semtav

Post by semtav »

gunlaker wrote:
desert deuce wrote:Chris, Jackrabbit and (don't pay any attention to this Don), look at the equipment list of the top Phoenix shooters.

Zack that definitely is not lost on me. I am getting ready for an ASSRA match next month and then I'll be experimenting with some new Baco Money grease grooved Money bullets in my .45's. I will probably bring one of each ( PP and GG ) to Eron's match, depending on how load development goes.

Chris.
Chris
Thanks for posting your experiences. I was hoping you would. I think we can learn as much from someone that comes in and experiences the same problems we would have if we would have been able to make it. ( I had just mentioned to Bruce in PM that I hoped we could get you to let us know your experiences of the match.)

I hope you don't give up on the PP cause i think the real thing the top shooters had in common with their equipment is lots and lots of rounds tested in lots and lots of conditions.

I've flamed a lot of times with GG bullets in hot conditions, and will use your experiences as much as anyone's as I practice on my BPTR target this summer.

Like they say, At least you were there and learned a lot !!
Thanks
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

Brian I don't plan on dumping PP bullets any time soon. I don't plan on shooting either PP or GG exclusively though. I think that limiting myself to one type of shooting would also limit my learning. I like them both, but I will start to put together a decent .45 cal grease groove load this year too.

I had one that shot pretty well a few years ago using Goex Express FFg and a full diameter Money bullet in my Shiloh. This spring I want to try my .45's with a tapered bullet that fits the chamber like the Kidwell money bullet does in my .40-65. I've got two new molds coming. One to fit my .45-70 BPCR and my CSA 1885's, and another for my Shiloh. Hopefully I can find some loads with OE 1.5 that equal the accuracy of my .40-65.

I'm also going to drill and tap my .45 wiping rod for a nylon brush to see how that works for me too, both for PP and grease grooved bullets.

More than anything though I just need to find a way to shoot any of these rifles at longer ranges a lot more often than I am doing now. I'm pretty sure that managed properly, my .45-90 PP rifle could have shot very well at that match.

Chris.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Chris: The "Tipton" .45 Caliber Rifle Nylon Brush in particular, with a large glass bead J.B. Welded to the nose of the brush mounted on a delrin rod seems to work pretty good. :wink:

There is a machined delrin jag that uses rubber 'O' rings that works pretty good but the 'O' rings need frequent replacement.

The brush I am using is about three seasons old with no problems.