Smithmoor Spring 22 Championship

This is where you can place your scores from the matches. It uses an excel spread sheet! If you send me your sheet of scores I can put it on the forum and provide a link where everyone can view it.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

jackrabbit

Smithmoor Spring 22 Championship

Post by jackrabbit »

Fellow Shooters,

And the Lord said,"Wherever two or more are gathered, let's have a shootin' match!" Well, that is how I interpreted it anyway. On Saturday, April 9th, we indeed held one heck of a shootin' match! 25 riflemen and women gathered for our 2nd Annual Smithmoor Spring 22 BPCR Championship. Dad, Coralee and I are very pleased how it went. The weather was absolutely awesome for April in Wyoming. Most of the day the wind flags were almost limp. One unlucky relay did get a bit of switchy wind with some cloud cover and a few drops of rain fell in the afternoon, but I am not going to complain as it could have been much worse. I was quite proud of our assortment of door prizes as well as the beautiful trophy buckles that will hopefully be used to remember their win for years to come. The pulled pork lunch turned out great and several folks contributed with donuts and other goodies for the day. All in all, I am still flying high and smiling with how well the match went.

We were able to offer a very nice wooden 22 linebox made by Travis and Dawna Purdum of Cal-Graf to the Champion A class shooter. AA, AAA, and Master class, as well as overall champion all received handmade, engraved silver belt buckles for a trophy. We also shot a 5th station paper target for fun. The score from the paper targets did not count towards the class or overall champion, but we did have certificates and a gold dollar coin that was donated by Jack Odor for each high paper shooter in each class. High A class paper was Hayden Farmer, AA was a very pleased Don McDowell, AAA went to Tom Wengh, and Jack Odor received the master class certificate. Zach Farmer was our high A class silhouette shooter with a 23 and took home the 22 line box. Marisa Mortitz shot a 25 to be the AA class champion and took home a buckle. Last year, she was the A class winner, and I was glad to see her improve and come back to do well in AA class. AAA class was won by a very pleased Tom Reed. Tom is Coralee's Dad and has worked very hard at improving his shooting. He was actually in AA class, but managed to shoot a 32. Generally, we follow the NRA rules and they dictate that during a tournament you get bumped one class if you shoot more than 2 classes above your current class. Jack Odor received the buckle for high Master class by shooting a 31. Super Shooter and multiple time past national Champion, Rick Mortiz really shined on Saturday by shooting a 36. He cleaned the lay down animals and killed 6 chickens! Very impressive! Rick's score broke the old Smithmoor Range record of 35 and tied the range record of 6 for chickens. Besides the beautiful Smithmoor Spring Champion belt buckle, 6 chickens was also high chicken count for the day which won Rick the Frontier Arms High Chicken 100 dollar bill.

Folks have seemed to enjoy shooting a King match at our monthly matches, so we decided to hold one at the Spring Championship as well. For whatever reason, I struggled shooting most of the day however, I was quite pleased with myself to be able to put one nearly in the middle to win the King match. Everyone signed it and it will be kept to remember the day. Also, in good spirit, we thought it would be fun to offer a boobie prize. Coralee baked up one of her famous made from scratch apple pies and we were going to award it to the lowest score of the day. Unfortunately, there was a tie! A very embarrassed Brendon Lundstrom and Carol McDowell were called up front during the awards ceremony. We held a very exciting flip off to determine the winner of the pie. Brendon flipped and Carol called heads to win! Thank you two for being good sports. Shooters had fun throughout the day giving each other a hard time about winning the pie. I suspect there may have even been a little sandbagging going on in an attempt to take the pie home, but I don't have any hard evidence....

We had a whole herd of youngins that volunteered to set targets for us. The Sauer boys, Cole, Caleb, and Chase came with their dad and jumped right in. Ethan and KD Purdum had previously volunteered to help and are generally available when we need them. I felt like I was starting a track meet every time I announced "You may now proceed down range" as the whole group took off in a sprint! Thanks for your guys' hard work! A tip can that was graciously filled by the shooters was used to reward our target setters.

As most know that are a part of our shooting community, we are planning on working with Dick Hennebry to hold the 2017 Rocky Mountain Regional 22 BPCRA Championship at the big Smithmoor Range at Dad's place. Several improvements need to be done over there before we have the match however. Coralee and I have dreamed up a couple of fund raisers and folks have enthusiastically contributed, which is much appreciated. We have held the Turkey Lotto the last few matches, and this time we had to expand it to a Ram lotto as well to accommodate all of those wanting to play. Greg Bybee won the turkey lotto, and Mary Zang and Jack Odor tied for the Ram lotto. Besides the winners winning money, everyone had a good time joking about intentionally hitting or not hitting someone's animal to help sway the lotto. We also couldn't help but notice the lotto winners walking over to the donation can and putting their winnings in. Between the lottos and hat sales we raised several hundred dollars to put towards range improvements. We use 100% of the match entries to fund the championship match, but folks also graciously put money into the donation can. That money will be used to help pay for range insurance, as well as range maintenance and lights. We can't say thank you enough to all of our shooters for your generosity! We feel so blessed to have such a wonderful group of people to shoot with! Thank you to all that come to shoot and support our range!!

We plan on starting our 3rd winter season at Smithmoor with a match the 2nd Saturday in November. We hope to see you all then, if not sooner.
Take care and Hold Center,
Cody and Coralee Smith

Shooter Paper Chicken Pig Turkey Ram Total Place
Master
Jack Odor 242-5 2 10 9 10 31 1st and High Paper
Rick Mortiz 233-1 6 10 10 10 36 MW
Cody Smith 241-4 3 10 8 8 29

AAA
Joe Kapler 241-3 0 10 7 9 26
Dick Hennebry 236-2 0 9 10 10 29
Tom Wengh 241-3 1 9 10 7 27 High Paper
Kenny Wasserburger 231-2 2 10 10 6 28
Jim Nonnemacher 229-1 3 10 10 6 29
JD Farmer 220-2 2 9 7 8 26
Cecil Sauer 203-0 2 10 10 8 30
Coralee Smith 220-1 3 10 7 7 27
Travis Purdum 174 -1 2 10 8 6 26
Tom Reed 228-2 3 10 9 10 32 1st

AA
Marisa Mortitz 222-2 2 10 5 8 25 1st
Dick Farmer 206-1 2 7 3 6 18
Steve Anderson 186-0 3 6 4 4 17
Greg Bybee 196-1 2 6 8 8 24
Don McDowell 233-2 2 10 5 5 22 High Paper
Brendon Lundstrom 201-1 2 8 1 2 13
Gary Smith 201-0 1 9 8 3 21

A
Zach Farmer 213-0 1 10 7 6 23 1st
Hayden Farmer 214-1 1 7 6 5 19
Jerry Zang 0 2 5 6 6 19
Mary Zang 183-0 1 4 5 7 17
Carol McDowell 211-0 0 6 3 4 13
Don McDowell

Re: Smithmoor Spring 22 Championship

Post by Don McDowell »

:D Carol thinks she got the best prize of the day.. :mrgreen:

Great match Cody, there's a reason the Smithmoor matches draw shooters from 300 miles and have become standing room only if you don't register ahead of time. :wink:
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
Jim Kidwell

Post by Jim Kidwell »

Cody,

You all have done a fantastic job in promoting your matches. That's what it takes to draw people and make our sport grow. Sounds like fun. I would love to make it one day. Kudos to you, Coralee and your father. Good job. 8) 8) 8) ........................
....................................Jim
You are a ghost driving a meat covered skeleton made from stardust riding a rock floating through space.
Fear nothing. (anon)……………………
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

Thank you Don and Jim for the kind comments. Those comments are truly an honor, I don't care what Rhoades says. :lol: :lol: I don't feel like we have done anything special as far as the shoots, we just do the best we can to make it competitive and fun. I always enjoyed reading match writeups, so I try to do a prompt and thorough job on them. Most of the appreciation needs to go to our shooters. I can't say enough what a great bunch of folks they are. Generous, fun, competitive, honest, just the kind of folks you want to hang around with and raise your kids around. Truly, Smithmoor would not be much without our shooters.
take care, Cody
stevewhr

Post by stevewhr »

Cody, I agree with everything you say. I just want to add, the hosts are what brings all this together. Yours and your Dad's efforts and your wives cooking, it's the complete package. Can't thank you enough for the opportunity to shoot there and rub shoulders with some of the best in the sport. I'm honored.

Now if I could just learn to shoot!!!
wyomingsightdrifter.com
Steve Rhoades

Post by Steve Rhoades »

If you all continue to do such a great job maybe I'll have to come up there and challenge Corralee to a pie bake off. :lol: :lol: :lol:
FOUNDER OF THE BRENT DANIELSON FAN CLUB
Jim Kidwell

Post by Jim Kidwell »

Rhoades,

Geez, you'll lose again.............

Why not retire. Your hay day was over, a long time ago. Sit back and enjoy that cheap swill you try to justify drinking. :lol: :lol: :wink: ................
You are a ghost driving a meat covered skeleton made from stardust riding a rock floating through space.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Hmmm new side match for the Nationals :?: :?:
How's about it Jim?
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
Steve Rhoades

Post by Steve Rhoades »

Don't be so sure Kidwell.
I make a pretty mean rhubarb pie. 8)
Jim Kidwell

Post by Jim Kidwell »

I haven't had a rhubarb pie in years............. :cry: :cry: ...................
Steve Rhoades

Post by Steve Rhoades »

That's too bad as you are now on the bottom of my pie list :evil:
Jim Kidwell

Post by Jim Kidwell »

That's fine..............I would rather have a drink with Carolyn than watch you make pies for the troops. What a man..................
Steve Rhoades

Post by Steve Rhoades »

Kidwell,
How much talent does it take to swill down, every night, a quart of that lacquer thinner you drink?
Making a nice pie is a work of art that tastes good. :P
Woody

Post by Woody »

I'm up to be a judge for a pie bake-off. All know how objective I can be. :roll:

Cody,

You guys are having too much fun. Wish I was there. See you this summer.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.