Kirk - question about stock

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

dm3280

Kirk - question about stock

Post by dm3280 »

I recently hunted in foul weather, rain, where my gun got soaked even though I tried to keep it covered. When I returned home I took the gun apart to clean and oil all parts. When I removed the butt plate I notice the center of the stock under the butt plate was filled with what looks like brown glass bedding material. It is brown, hard as a rock and shinny. What is this stuff and what purpose does it serve?
Thanks
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Hi, that is Micro-Bed, after the metal is all fit, the gun is put back together with a coat of this. What it's for? It is the reason after you got your gun wet the stock didn't move when you took the metal apart. Don't ever, ever, take the gun apart after you get it wet. Use that old stock slick that I keep talking about and every thing will be fine!!! If a gun is taken apart and left for any length of time after getting wet, you just bought yourself another piece of wood. It sounds as if you have been living right, because I have had to restock a lot of guns because of this. Good Luck, Kirk
dm3280

Thanks

Post by dm3280 »

That is good to know. I believe the reason I had luck on my side was I took off a piece and wiped it down and put it back on. The longest anything was off was maybe 2 minutes. I was afraid if I left anything off it would allow the wood to swell and the piece would not fit back again.
I will keep this in mind.
Thanks for the update and saving me $$. I am trying to save for another rifle and having this one restocked would have set me back.