2017 Hunting

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Stephen Borud

2017 Hunting

Post by Stephen Borud »

https://imgur.com/a/QSxL1

https://imgur.com/a/6EMR1

https://imgur.com/a/NhYmC

It’s been one hell of a year for hunting here in Wyoming. The Big 50 took two antelope, and the 50 1 3/4 took a deer yesterday. I had a goal to kill a animal with something other then a 50 Shiloh, but couldn’t make it happen. I have a nice little Shiloh 40/50 BN that shoots great but with the yardage’s and heavy wind conditions I didn’t get an opportunity even though I did carry it several miles this fall. I feel very blessed to hunt where I do and have the opportunity to take my boys with me on these yearly adventures. I killed both antelope on public land and the deer on Orville’s Ranch.

We fished and hunted on Orville’s Ranch for six days. We ate fresh brown trout almost every night that the boys caught and enjoyed fresh deer, antelope, and elk steak. There are to many distractions these days for the younger generation! To have an opportunity to take them to a place where there is no cell service, no distraction other then hunting and fishing is truely unique.

A big thanks to Orville and Janelle for always letting us have full reign on their ranch. Without that we wouldn’t be able to experience what I think is so important, traditional hunting!

Stephen
Kodiak

Re: 2017 Hunting

Post by Kodiak »

Three proud hunters!

And very much so, well done.

Jim
I don't always shoot well, but when I do there isn't any reason.
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

Thank you Jim!

Stephen
BFD

Post by BFD »

Kodiak wrote:Three proud hunters!

And very much so, well done.

Jim
Yup, congratulations!

Not going out west this year for something, sure hurts. Next year....
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

Thanks Brent! We sure look forward to hunting each fall with these guns. Good luck next year.

Stephen
BFD

Post by BFD »

I have enough elk preference points I think I stand a good chance of being drawn. Just need to decide where to apply.
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

Brent, the Shirley Mountains are really good. I killed a couple bulls and some cows in that unit with a bow, lots of elk. Not so sure where the elk move to during rifle season but I know they aren’t necessarily in the same spots as they were in bow season.
One year I didn’t get an elk with my bow and went back out during rifle season, I did kill a cow but it was hard hunting.

Stephen
BFD

Post by BFD »

I''ll check out the Shirley's . They are pretty mountains, at least to me. We usually hunt the Winds and Absarokas way up high and it's hard, hard hunting. Would like to hunt a bit lower.
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

They are nice looking Mountains. I really enjoyed hunting them, but it’s a hard unit to draw.
pete

Post by pete »

Congrats. Stephen I'd say you've had a hell of a year overall. Nice write up too. Are you done for the year?
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

I have another antelope doe tag Pete, but I’m not going to fill it. I could of multiple times but chose not too. My oldest son has an elk tag so we might sneak out in November and see if he can get his first elk. Kaleb killed a deer on Orville’s ranch but used Orville’s 264 Win Mag in a Model 70 Win. It’s a really cool rifle and is deadly. I also killed a 6 x 5 bull elk with my longbow at 15 feet, which was a great hunt as well. I’ve been blessed.

Thanks
Stephen
pete

Post by pete »

This is definately a year for you to remember. Congratulations on the elk with your longbow that had to be a thrill. Congrats also to Kaleb that's a pretty formidable rifle to handle.
This year my wife and I fulfilled a dream I've had for a long, long time and that was for a bighorn ram. I used a modern rifle for the first time since 1995. I didn't want to but thought it best. I shot a fair amount with the Sharps but wasn't as consistent as I wanted although I'm sure I was being pretty critical but with just the two of us who are closer to 60 than 50 and no help the odds were against us. Anyway the .243 worked good at 276 yds and we got a nice ram.
Still have a deer license that I'll use the Sharps for.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

Wow, A Bighorn, that’s great Pete! Good job! Good luck with your deer hunt.
pete

Post by pete »

Thanks Stephen. The elk with a long bow is awesome.
Up In Smoke

Post by Up In Smoke »

One tag down and one more to go. My first elk in 22 years. Took this one opening day in Little Belt Mtns of central Montana. Shiloh Hartford 45-70 and one 405 grn paper patched bullet. A point blank shot at about 35 yds. He trotted off about 20-25 yds stopped in his tracks and went down.

"There are no great men. Just great challenges which ordinary men, out of necessity, are forced by circumstances to meet."
Admiral William F. “Bull” Halsey