New to Shiloh rifles ...

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

BFD

Re: New to Shiloh rifles ...

Post by BFD »

In 2 decades, I've only had one time where I might have used more windage than is on the standard MVA Soule.

I much prefer drilling out standard eyecups rather then using a Hadley. Less opportunity for errors and mistakes.

YMMV
BFD

Post by BFD »

In 2 decades, I've only had one time where I might have used more windage than is on the standard MVA Soule.

I much prefer drilling out standard eyecups rather then using a Hadley. Less opportunity for errors and mistakes.
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

When we shot the Q. My wife ran out of windage with her std MVA Long Range Soule on the Buffalo target at 805yds, and had to hold right of the nose.
I had the windage needed on my Buffalo Soule to dial center, and make 6 hits.
Many times since, she has been near the windage limit-while the Buffalo Soule had plenty windage left to use.
The cost difference between the std Soule and Buffalo is like $30.00-$35.00. Over the life of the rifle that is nut'n........ :wink:
G.
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Lots easier to change the Hadley opening on the firing line when the sun goes behind a cloud etc. Than to switch eyecups and possibly lose your elevation setting in the 'heat' of competition. :wink:
G.
BFD

Post by BFD »

Lumpy Grits wrote:Lots easier to change the Hadley opening on the firing line when the sun goes behind a cloud etc. Than to switch eyecups and possibly lose your elevation setting in the 'heat' of competition. :wink:
G.

Then you don't know how to use your elevation and your are way too trusting of your hadley holding zero from one setting to the next. I've been down that road a time of two. Ain't going again. Changing as Hadley setting happens accidentally as well as intentionally also, and rarely with less than disastrous results. But whatever. I'll stick with drilled out standard cups. They don't screw up.
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Yes I do trust the MVA Hadley, AFTER it was proven by me that it could be trusted. :lol:
BTW: YES Brent-I know how to use the elevation. :twisted:
G.
BFD

Post by BFD »

If you know how to use elevation then you would never be worried about losing it while swapping out an eyecup.

Proving that all 7(?) settings on a Hadley shoot to center would take a crate of ammo. I've proven in much less that the two I have don't.
bigjeepman

Post by bigjeepman »

Lumpy Grits wrote:Look hard at the Long Range Buffalo Soule sight #103.
That extra windage is very handy to have :!:
Does not take much crosswind to move these football size bullets off to the side of target at distance.
G.
I have MVA #103 and MVA #113 coming on the rifle. I have been told by several that these sights were excellent.
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

BFD wrote:If you know how to use elevation then you would never be worried about losing it while swapping out an eyecup.

Proving that all 7(?) settings on a Hadley shoot to center would take a crate of ammo. I've proven in much less that the two I have don't.
With my 66+ year old eyes-I only need'd to prove the largest 4 openings on the smaller MVA Hadley. :P
Bigjeep---
That sight combo what I run on my #1 in .45-90.
BTW: I'm a jeeper also. Bought my '7' new in '85 and it's still my daily driver. Engine is OEM stock with Carter carb.
Lots of mods over the yrs like a Currie Ford 9" rear with 4:88 R&P and Detroit locker.
Dana 44 front with DL. Run 33" tires through a 5 speed and a 4:1 kit in the t'case
Still have to play the SMOG game here every 2 yrs. :x :roll:
G.
BFD

Post by BFD »

bigjeepman wrote:
Does not take much crosswind to move these football size bullets off to the side of target at distance.
G.
I have MVA #103 and MVA #113 coming on the rifle. I have been told by several that these sights were excellent.
They are excellent, but they do have liabilities to. Everything does. The front sights have a spring clip that is easily bent going in and out of a Gun case or in other ways. Lots of them can be seen on the line with tape or rubber bands holding the insert and spring tight.
bigjeepman

Post by bigjeepman »

BFD wrote:
bigjeepman wrote:
G.
They are excellent, but they do have liabilities to. Everything does. The front sights have a spring clip that is easily bent going in and out of a Gun case or in other ways. Lots of them can be seen on the line with tape or rubber bands holding the insert and spring tight.
Would a front sight cover help prevent this from occurring?
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

The spring clip issue is true. I had forgoten about it and TNX for the reminder Brent.
I filed the little nose part of the clip down till it was flush with the hood of the sight.
Hasn't been an issue since. :wink:
G.
bigjeepman

Post by bigjeepman »

Hey Gary ...
Is that you I've seen over on the Levergun-Scoundrels forums? I have really enjoyed that site as lots of good friends there who I have known for years.

That is the place where I have been attacked ( 8)) by single shot enthusiasts and the best enablers on the planet and the end result was ordering a Shiloh Sharps.
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Yup-dat's me.
They have no standards there at all. :lol:
G.
bigjeepman

Re: New to Shiloh rifles ... the wait is over

Post by bigjeepman »

I received my 1874 Hartford this past Friday at my FFL's and the least I can say is I am very pleased. As I said in my original post, I ordered mine though Bill Goodman in Bozeman. I must say my experience with Bill made the journey a much better one. I decided early on in this process that I would not order direct from Shiloh as I am not very patient when it comes to the waiting game. I looked for a month or so for a 45/70 straight stock rifle that "had" to be built by Shiloh but I gave up the chase and contacted Bill.

Here is the finished product. For you veterans of these rifles, it is just another rifle but this one is a lot different because this one is mine. I'll apologize now for being the worst at firearm picture-taking.