First kill with new Shiloh 45-90

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

coolhand

First kill with new Shiloh 45-90

Post by coolhand »

Guys,
I received my new Sharps around the first of November, just in time for the Texas deer season. Didn't have time for load work so I just used factory ammo I got from Buffalo Arms. Took this old buck yesterday morning at around 100 yds. I will have to figure out a better option for the sights cause I still struggle focusing on the front post. I plan to continue hunting hard, as the rut is just beginning in south Texas. I am hooked for sure!
jackrabbit

Re: First kill with new Shiloh 45-90

Post by jackrabbit »

Wow!! That is a great deer! Congratulations!

I know when I head out to go hunting, The Shiloh gets taken most often. BPCR hunting is a lot of fun and most folks don't know what they are missing out on.
Thanks for sharing!
Cody
rdnck

Post by rdnck »

coolhand--check your pm. rdnck.
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT
DAVE ROELLE

Post by DAVE ROELLE »

Nice critter Jack we haven't gotten serious yet at the ranch the kids will work on them hard after Christmas
Have a safe Holiday

Dave
your never lost, if ya don't care where ya are
bobw

Post by bobw »

Nice buck ,hope you got the blood wiped off that rifle. Better talk to Rdnk on a penny frt sight insert for better visibility. Oh yeah get some advice from him on good paper patch loads instead of polluting your eating with greasers. :lol: Congrats and well done . bobw
bobw
coolhand

Post by coolhand »

Hey Dave,
Hope all is well. Our situation is exactly opposite of yours. We finally got all the Grandkids a buck, and now we can start hunting serious. There have already been some great bucks taken off the ranch, and the rut is just now in full swing! Good luck on your hunts.

Bobw,
I have already had a long discussion with Rdnk about the sight situation. I think he got me on the right track, even though I don't remember it all and I'm sure will be contacting him again before I'm finished. We did talk some about black powder loading, but we didn't get into the paper patch discussion. That's for another time, but I really would like to shoot paper patch loads if I could get a good hunting bullet setup. Take care.
Gussy

Post by Gussy »

Very nice buck!
trapper

Post by trapper »

Nice buck and a nice looking rifle. congrats!
Trapper
* If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop diggin'.
Griffiga

Post by Griffiga »

I remember the first deer I shot with my Garrett .50-70 carbine. I was with my buddies and their scoped .270's and .30-06's and boy did I get the scowl. This particular hunt we had tags for 2 Does and I ended up being the first to harvest mine. I shot the first one out from under one buddy who had his scope on too high of a power to see the deer at close range, and shot the second while he was complaining about it. The ride home was a total different story, and ribbing two buddies who never shot theirs sure was sweet!
Griffiga

Post by Griffiga »

A picture of the Garrett Sharps carbine I used to shoot those two deer.
Garrett Arms Sharps Carbine1.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
coolhand

Post by coolhand »

Nice rifle! How do you like the 50-70 for deer?
Jim Kidwell

Post by Jim Kidwell »

As myself, I always thought a BP 45-70 was an over-gun and way over the top on hunting White Tails. I was always a flat 270 hunter. The problem I had was the amount of meat that was ruined around the wound because of shock. After My first deer with a BP 40-65, all I saw was a hole through the deer. Hence, the old saying, you can eat right up to the hole. The other advantage was I didn't have to go very far to find my game....... FWIW.......
....................................Jim
You are a ghost driving a meat covered skeleton made from stardust riding a rock floating through space.
Fear nothing. (anon)……………………
Griffiga

Post by Griffiga »

coolhand wrote:Nice rifle! How do you like the 50-70 for deer?
I love the .50-70 for deer. I've also shot a cow elk with it. I try to keep my range under 100 yards or so, but so far they are one shot kills. I use unsized .510 cast (450 grain) with wheel weight lead. 60 grains of FFG (or Pyrodex)
pete

Post by pete »

Griffiga;
It's cool to hear somebody with an old time style rifle and ammo making the modern gun guys mad.
Griffiga

Post by Griffiga »

pete wrote:Griffiga;
It's cool to hear somebody with an old time style rifle and ammo making the modern gun guys mad.
I've done that on several occasions. Every year at our family reunion, my two brothers in law have a pistol shooting competition wherein they spend the rest of the year strategizing over sights, triggers, different pistols to gain the upper hand. The looser has to buy the other dinner. Well, this one particular year they asked me why I didn't join them and I told them that most of my pistols are from the 18th and 19th century. I just happened to have my Pedersoli LePage target pistol with me at the time and told them I would be glad to compete with them as long as speed wasn't in the equation. They told me is was just accuracy. One brother in law had a sig sauer and the other a Kimber. At 20 yards, my LePage with set trigger printed one ragged hole much to their astonishment. I was never invited to join them again.