Unable to replace breech block on 1863 3 band rifle

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Cavhacc

Unable to replace breech block on 1863 3 band rifle

Post by Cavhacc »

Hello, I have had a wonderful day and experience shooting my 1863 Farmingdale Shiloh Sharps. When I came home and went to clean it it came apart fine. Once clean I went to return the breach block and it now will not go back in. The chamber sleeve appears to now be blocking the block. I have checked the gas seal plate and it seems to be seated flush. Kirk, if you are out there, can you ease advise. I Love my rifle but cannot use it at this moment.

Michael
Cavhacc

Re any Help appreciated. : Unable to replace breech block on 1863 3 band rifle

Post by Cavhacc »

I shhould also add the serial number is 2563 no letter prefix. Any help appreciated.
cjensen

Re: Unable to replace breech block on 1863 3 band rifle

Post by cjensen »

Take the nipple out and try it.
cjensen

Post by cjensen »

Iffy the nipple is not in all the way it does not clear. Take it out and isolate the nipple from the equation.
Cavhacc

Post by Cavhacc »

Thank you. I will give that a shot when I get home. I had thought I seated it well, but it may need some more. I did not give that one a thought. :)
George Babits

Post by George Babits »

From an earlier thread this year, Kurt said there is NO chamber sleeve in the Shiloh rifles and never has been. I have an earlier Farminddale rifle like yours. It freezes up because the gascheck plate is a bit loose, but I've never had any trouble getting it in or out. a protruding nipple may well be the problem.

George
Salmon, Idaho
Cavhacc

Post by Cavhacc »

Unfortunately I have removed the nipple and the breech block still will not go into position. It stops at the same place at the bottom of the chamber. It appears the Aleve is blocking the seal plate.

I am open to further suggestions.
Cavhacc

Post by Cavhacc »

Thank you George for the clarification on the chamber. Looking at it with the differing colors and appearance of the metal at the chamber it just looks like it is a sleeve. I will now focus on the gas check plate. I tried to post a picture but it was too large. I will try to post another in a bit.
Cavhacc

Post by Cavhacc »

I have since played close attention to the block. I have removed the gas plate and given it a thorough cleaning and oil. Still no change. The block is getting caught on the bottom of the chamber. Still trying to get a picture. Even on the lowest setting my picturefiles are too large to post.
Cavhacc

Kirk, if you are out there

Post by Cavhacc »

Hello Kirk,

I am still having problems returning my breech block after having cleaned (thoroughly by now) my 1863 Shiloh Sharps three band rifle. I have tried with the cone removed, I have cleaned and examined the gas plate thoroughly, I have checked cleaned rechecked and released the frame and block housing. I have used magnifying glasses and high light. It all points back to (when looking from the top) the left site of the gas plate hanging up on the bottom of the chamber.

I am asking about this because the rifle worked FLAWLESSLY before I cleaned it. Once cleaned, I just cannot reassemble. I have had the breech block out before and it went right back in. Can you help me?

Michael
Cavhacc

Issue Resolved

Post by Cavhacc »

I broke down and completely disassembled the block once more. Once I saw it would not insert without the gas plate, I then removed and reinstated the screws as well. Apparently, I did not have the clean out screw seated completely. I should have known better, rookie mistake too. Lesson learned. And i have a much more intimate knowledge of my rifle.

Thank you to those of you who replied to my post. Happy shooting and keep your powder dry.

Michael :D
alfajim

Post by alfajim »

Cavhacc wrote:I have since played close attention to the block. I have removed the gas plate and given it a thorough cleaning and oil. Still no change. The block is getting caught on the bottom of the chamber. Still trying to get a picture. Even on the lowest setting my picturefiles are too large to post.
If you are using windows go to Microsoft and get the picture resizer addon from the windows toys section it will let you resize pictures down to avatar size.

Jim
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Hi Michael, I just got back in the shop, sorry I missed you, glad you got it fixed.

Kirk
Boston Bill

Post by Boston Bill »

lol same thing happened to me. Even got new screws from Shiloh and still would not work.
Figured out finally I was not screwing it in all the way.
Go figure. :D
Happy Shooting!!! :D