Set Trigger

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

charlie young

Set Trigger

Post by charlie young »

This is the second season going into the use of my 16 lb. Bull Barrel. Picked it up the fall of 2016, doubt it has 400 rds. through it. Always had a funny feel to the trigger that sets the main trigger. Not smooth like my LRE, kind of rough or gritty feeling and pulls hard compared to my other Shiloh. This evening I wanted to test some loads with Baco's money bullet at 16:1, (another thread later). So when I got everything situated and ready to fire, it didn't take long to remember the setting of the trigger, even to the point where it wouldn't lock and would have to pull it once more. Well as the shooting progressed it certainly didn't improve and at one point fired setting the trigger. Well that was a worry as I was shooting my 900 yd. target right over my bull pasture. Nothing dropped so must have maintained elevation. The gun will for sure be heading back to Big Timber. My question is......my son wants to shoot this year. Can one of us safely us the rifle if we DO NOT set the trigger, or is there something going on, that I should just ship it back and hope it can be fixed in 3 weeks.

Thanks,
Charlie
John Bly

Re: Set Trigger

Post by John Bly »

On one of my Shilohs the front trigger would contact the sear when setting the rear trigger making it harder to set than usual. If you take the lock out you can check the trigger operation to see if it feels normal. If it feels normal with the lock removed then there is an interference problem and should be returned to Shiloh for attention. I see you are in Montana. Perhaps a call to Shiloh could arrange for a personal visit to get it corrected without shipping.
"Perfection consists not so much in doing extraordinary things as in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well"
charlie young

Post by charlie young »

They will surely get a call on Tuesday. A personal visit is an 800 mile round trip. Will see what they say when I get ahold of them. Thanks for the reply.
gus65

Post by gus65 »

Charlie, I am traveling that way later this week if you want me to take it. If so call me. Jeff
gus65

Post by gus65 »

Charlie, I am traveling that way later this week if you want me to take it. If so call me. Jeff
charlie young

Post by charlie young »

Will let you know when I visit with them this morning. Thanks Jeff.
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

sent you a PM
charlie young

Post by charlie young »

Thanks Kirk, as always first rate service!!
charlie young

Post by charlie young »

Kirk, Gun delivered home safe and sound. Jeff was impressed to say the least. Thanks for your great service and all the tips that Jeff is going to share. Montana Pride!!

Charlie
Michael Johnson

Post by Michael Johnson »

What was the problem with the trigger? How did Kirk fix it?
John Bly

Post by John Bly »

I'm interested in what the fix was also. Can you tell us anything?
"Perfection consists not so much in doing extraordinary things as in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well"
gus65

Post by gus65 »

Kirk indicated that a couple of drops of Breakfree drizzled around the triggers will do much in the prevention of corrosion. Turn your rifle upside down to do this. Probably not necessary to remove the trigger bar
rdnck

Post by rdnck »

What sort of guy would let his set triggers corrode? rdnck.
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT