Original Sharps question

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Spin Drifter

Original Sharps question

Post by Spin Drifter »

I have a good friend who isn't a gun person at all, but has a Sharps and doesn't really know anything about it. The story is that his step father who was a collector and gave it to him. It is a cavalry carbine and the serial number is 72483. It is in remarkably nice condition, but according to my friend, it had been converted in to a shotgun. I looked down the smooth bore and when I examined carefully it looked as though the barrel had been formed by a spiral. I'm assuming that this is what is called a "Damascus barrel"

I told him that I know just enough to be dangerous and that he really should have it appraised. I doubt that it is worth a great deal of money, but that it should be worth a little and it would be good to know anyway. I did a search for the serial number and it appears that it was made during the Civil War. It is in such fresh condition that it must have never been issued.

How does one go about determining the worth of such a piece?
mike in va

Re: Original Sharps question

Post by mike in va »

I used to own about 40 Sharps firearms and still own six. I only mention that because I live about 35 miles from Richmond near the two stop light town of Bowling Green. Thru a collection of reference books and personal experience, I could help you with a clearer understanding of what you have, its condition and valuation, and list of dealers. That swirl you see down the barrel may in fact be rifling. There were no Damascus barrels on Sharps military rifles. I am not interested in buying your friends rifle. While Maynard's are my main current hobby,I have a large collection of Civil War era guns and I shoot them all. Just send me a PM if you are interested.
Mike