My new Shiloh Sharps has arrived

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

D. Taylor Sapergia

My new Shiloh Sharps has arrived

Post by D. Taylor Sapergia »

As I said in another thread, I was expecting my new rifle, and it did indeed arrive. It's a #1 Sporter, 30" heavy bbl, 45-70 cal 7 degree lead, extra fancy wood, ebony forend cap, classic chequering, cheek piece with accent line, sling swivels, CC hardened receiver and furniture, classic steel chequered butt plate, AAA finish, MVA long range Soule rear sight with small Hadley disc, spirit level globe front sight. The wood to metal is the best I've ever seen on any rifle, antique or contemporary. Waiting time was two years and two months. I'm very pleased with it. Here's a few pics in case someone needs a nudge...
100_8128.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cw50-70

Re: My new Shiloh Sharps has arrived

Post by cw50-70 »

Good for you but do your rifle a favor and don't photograph it on a white background. The camera exposes as if the white should be gray which makes your rifle black. Reshoot on a black or dark green background and let us see what that wood really looks like.
TN Longhunter

Post by TN Longhunter »

Until Taylor can set the rifle down long enough to take a photo, here it is after a little Photoshop.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cort

Post by Cort »

Great looking Rifle ....Enjoy and Choooooot it.
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

You did real good.
How about a range report........... :P
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
D. Taylor Sapergia

I took some time today (Father's Day) to load some cartridges for the new girl. I've cast some 526 gr. BACo bullets that patched measure .450" I can seat them out so I can load 73 gr. of Swiss 1 1/2 Fg, card wads either side of a 3/16" grease cookie, and only .130" of powder compression.

My only concern with these pp'd bullets is the patch has a tendency to want to start of lift off the bullet at the top end. I'm hoping they will stick down long enough to get into the bore without tearing, crumpling, or whatever. Anyone have a solution for that phenomenon?
BFD

Post by BFD »

Sounds like you might have wrapped them too long. Not exactly sure you mean by "lift off". Pics would help.

Load some more with 82 grains of powder, a card wad and compressed to give you not more than 0.1" of space to seat the bullet. Try those first. Wipe between shots.
Dennis Armistead

Post by Dennis Armistead »

D. Taylor Sapergia wrote:I took some time today (Father's Day) to load some cartridges for the new girl. I've cast some 526 gr. BACo bullets that patched measure .450" I can seat them out so I can load 73 gr. of Swiss 1 1/2 Fg, card wads either side of a 3/16" grease cookie, and only .130" of powder compression.

My only concern with these pp'd bullets is the patch has a tendency to want to start of lift off the bullet at the top end. I'm hoping they will stick down long enough to get into the bore without tearing, crumpling, or whatever. Anyone have a solution for that phenomenon?
I agree with Brent, pic's would help, but if the top of the patch is coming off its being rolled incorrectly.
Dennis
Experience trumps intelligence every time.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Here's a picture of several bullets ... comments welcome.
100_8158.JPG
D. Taylor Sapergia

You can see how the tip of the patch is not tight down on the bullet.
rdnck

Post by rdnck »

You wrapped them backwards. The patch is also a bit too short. rdnck.
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT
BFD

Post by BFD »

Backwards, yes. Too short, no.
BFD

Post by BFD »

DTS,
note the orientation of the bullet and paper on this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1DmoZnYIQE
D. Taylor Sapergia

Well, that explains a lot!!!! thanks so much. I'll re-patch 'em all.

Here's a few images I just took on an old Hudson's Bay blanket, to try to get away from overexposure of the background and to better show the true colour of the wood.
100_8159.JPG
100_8166.JPG
D. Taylor Sapergia

Another question if I may inflict my inexperience on you...

My 45-70 cases are once fired in a couple of lever rifles. I full length sized them, but the case mouths are way too large to receive the .450" patched bullet. So I ran abut 1/2" of the neck into a .45 ACP die to reduce the mouths, then expanded with a .450" expander button. I chamfered the mouths of the cases to ensure I didn't tear the patch. The patched bullets are not as tight as I would like. I'd like them to have a .001" neck tension.
Question: how do you fellows size your case mouths to give the correct tension on bore sized bullets?