My new Shiloh Sharps has arrived

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

BFD

Re: My new Shiloh Sharps has arrived

Post by BFD »

They do tend to be "loosey-goosey." I generally hit mine with a taper crimp die. That will help. Alternatively, cut down your FL die about 0.2" and then you may get the sizing a bit tighter. This works with Lyman dies, but maybe not others.

Brass with thicker walls may help. I use Starline fwiw.
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Have you annealed the case mouths?
I used the .45acp size die after I seated the bullets, to snug up the fit.
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
D. Taylor Sapergia

Post by D. Taylor Sapergia »

I'm using Winchester brass, and I have not annealed them. I have loaded 14 rounds for my first outing, and took the bullets out, touched them against the Lee G3 (bullet seating die) and this made for a snug fit of the patched bullets. I think I'm good to go.
I appreciate all your input. I was thinking there may be a special 45-70 die for loading bore sized bullets...you are saying cutting .200" from the mouth of the 45-70 sizing die (Lyman) will allow me to run the cases up a little further for a tighter mouth on the case.?
BFD

Post by BFD »

D. Taylor Sapergia wrote:I'm using Winchester brass, and I have not annealed them. I have loaded 14 rounds for my first outing, and took the bullets out, touched them against the Lee G3 (bullet seating die) and this made for a snug fit of the patched bullets. I think I'm good to go.
I appreciate all your input. I was thinking there may be a special 45-70 die for loading bore sized bullets...you are saying cutting .200" from the mouth of the 45-70 sizing die (Lyman) will allow me to run the cases up a little further for a tighter mouth on the case.?
Yes,this is one of two ways to get to where you want to go. It will make your entire case tighter too however. Thus the taper crimp die might be a better alternative.

I like the idea of using a .45 colt or .45 acp die. I have one, but have not played with it much.
bobw

Post by bobw »

My short Lyman taper crimp die doesn't tighten enough for bullets patched to .449", so after using it I also use the RCBS tc sizer die for a 1/4" and that works ,I also use a VLD chamfer on the inside for an easier start on seating the ppb. bobw
bobw
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

BobW: try a .45 Colt taper crimp die. I had the same problem until I tried the .45 Colt taper crimp die. Cannot recall if it is a Lyman or CH-4D die.
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

In real life may you be the bad ass that you claim to be on social media....
Dennis Armistead

Post by Dennis Armistead »

bobw wrote:My short Lyman taper crimp die doesn't tighten enough for bullets patched to .449", so after using it I also use the RCBS tc sizer die for a 1/4" and that works ,I also use a VLD chamfer on the inside for an easier start on seating the ppb. bobw
My short taper die didn't work either, belt sanded .250 off the bottom and now works like a charm :D
Dennis
Experience trumps intelligence every time.
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

When I was shoot'n PP.
I found the the .45 acp taper die to work the best. Mine was made by Redding.
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
High Desert Hunter

Post by High Desert Hunter »

A profile crimp die may work, the Redding dies I have for the 44, 454, and 480 are all open on top.
High Desert Hunter

Post by High Desert Hunter »

Beautiful rifle by the way!
BMurray

Post by BMurray »

Geez that’s pretty ,stop showing that or I’ll want another ,I got 3 now !