Firing pin hole damage?

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Coyote Chris

Firing pin hole damage?

Post by Coyote Chris »

One of my Shiloh’s, a No. 1 45-70 which I bought new in ’05, has an issue. It started shooting unexplained flyers and at times leaving scratches on the case backs like I didn’t half cock the hammer before opening…something I try very hard to do. At the Mica Peak shoot today my friends Dave Y., Ivan D. and Jonathan C. told me to check the firing pin and see if it was broken.
So after all those Quigleys and monthly Mica peak shoots, I took apart the block, cleaned out a bunch of crud and brass from the firing pin hole, and noted that if I depressed the pin and spring, it would stick in the hole.
I then tried a new pin but that was even worse. The pins would stick if put in with the spring or not, or for that matter if the pin was inserted the wrong direction. I closely examined the firing pin hole and it does not appear to be all that round, and there is a burr on the breach face. (Hope the pics work)
I carefully stoned the breach face a bit and took a needle file and took a few strokes in the hole.
The pin now seems to slide pretty freely but could be a bit better. My friend Larry D. who shoots a lot more than I do and goes to Missoula to shoot is a Sharps guy and a master machinist.
I am wondering if we should now chase the hole with the correct drill size or carefully file the hole till the pin moves completely free? What is the correct hole size?
Coyote Chris

Re: Firing pin hole damage?

Post by Coyote Chris »

trying to post pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Coyote Chris

Post by Coyote Chris »

two more
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

I would return it to Shiloh for expert opinion and repairs.
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Don't do any thing else till you call Shiloh. Ask them to look at the pictures you posted.
FWIW: Few yrs back, I had the same issue with my Hartford and Lucinda replaced the block on our visit to Shiloh.
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

I just had a couple issues with 2 of my Shiloh's. I called Lucinda and guess what happened. Very good customer service and she fixed me right up. Could not asked for better treatment. Just quality service.
Coyote Chris

Post by Coyote Chris »

Thanks! I just might stop by Shiloh on Tuesday with the block. I am headed out on a motorcycle trip from Spokane to the Big Horns and I will be going by the factory. I wonder what time they open?
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Call ahead to find out if Kirk or Lucinda will be there.
Hint-A large bag of M&M's works wonders there. :lol:
G.
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
charlie young

Post by charlie young »

(So after all those Quigleys and monthly Mica peak shoots, I took apart the block, cleaned out a bunch of crud and brass from the firing pin hole, and noted that if I depressed the pin and spring, it would stick in the hole.)

With all due respect Chris, I would suggest that you do this process more than what it appears you are doing by the above statement. Maybe a couple times a year if you are shooting quite often.

Charlie
Coyote Chris

Post by Coyote Chris »

[quote="charlie young"](So after all those Quigleys and monthly Mica peak shoots, I took apart the block, cleaned out a bunch of crud and brass from the firing pin hole, and noted that if I depressed the pin and spring, it would stick in the hole.)

With all due respect Chris, I would suggest that you do this process more than what it appears you are doing by the above statement. Maybe a couple times a year if you are shooting quite often.

Charlie[/quote]
Good advice! Blowing out the crud with some sort of power cleaner like I have been doing clearly wasnt cutting the mustard here. Now that I know how to take the critter apart, its easy to do. I am down to shooting about 500 rounds a year with this particular Shiloh so think once or twice a year will do it. Thanks.
Coyote Chris

Post by Coyote Chris »

[quote="Lumpy Grits"]Call ahead to find out if Kirk or Lucinda will be there.
Hint-A large bag of M&M's works wonders there. :lol:
G.[/quote]
LOL!
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Cratered breechblock, happened to the originals too, back in the day they bushed that hole as a repair, high walls too.

You will need a new breechblock.

Kenny Wasserburger.
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
Coyote Chris

Post by Coyote Chris »

Got delayed on bike trip so I was able to stop at Shiloh during business hours and talk to Lucinda. They want me to ship them block with lever attached , info on rounds shot and primers used for quick turn around. Since this gun has bone and charcoal lever, what is the safest way to ship and how much to insure it for? I wouldn't trust USPS with a burned out Match. I am willing to pay for upgraded insured return also. Chris headed for Big Horns.
BFD

Post by BFD »

I ship everything USPS. Were I you, I would stick it in a flat rate box and insure it for $400 or so. Never had a problem myself.
Coyote Chris

Post by Coyote Chris »

[quote="BFD"]I ship everything USPS. Were I you, I would stick it in a flat rate box and insure it for $400 or so. Never had a problem myself.[/quote]
The Airway Heights WA post office seems to have trouble with the concept of putting the correct mail in the correct box. After we received many pieces of other people's mail in our rural mail box, we obtained a PO box at the main office. We still get other people's mail. I will check and see if I can get "signature required" at both ends and ask how much to insure the assy. for. Will call Shiloh and see what they reccommend. I would think that if USPS looses the block and lever, the entire gun would have to be returned to the factory.