Finally getting one.

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

ian45662

Finally getting one.

Post by ian45662 »

Been wanting one for a while. Always am checking them out at the silhouette shoots. Working a bunch of OT so now is the time. Sent my deposit do Bill Goodman and now to play the waiting game. Get a #1 in the oven now. Still have not completely decided in the wood. Full heavy oct barrel steel butt plate pewter nose cap. I was thinking extra fancy at first but I’m worried about weight so now may drop back to semi fancy. I guess I have a couple days until bill gets my deposit to decide but at any rate. I should hopefully have a Shiloh for the 2019 sillywet season. :D
BFD

Re: Finally getting one.

Post by BFD »

Caliber?
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

45-70. It’s gonna be my iron rifle since my highwall has a scope on it now.
John Bly

Post by John Bly »

Good for you Ian. I think you'll like it. Bear in mind that the semi-fancy is not what it was some years ago. If you want a looker you should upgrade the wood. Stay with a 30" barrel and you'll probably make weight. Go with a heavy half and you make weight for sure. The pewter tip is heavy. The ebony tip is nowhere as heavy as the pewter and it looks great with fancy wood. I know, I have one. I'll miss you this week. I know you gotta work when it's available.
"Perfection consists not so much in doing extraordinary things as in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well"
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

I have been asking Kirk a lot of questions and I have changed my order with bill a couple times now. Right now I’m at semi fancy with full heavy oct and pewter cap. After careful consideration I have decided on this configuration because I like to have as much weight up from as I can. In my mind it helps with my off hand shooting. I did request that the semi fancy wood be hand picked or select . I guess the most important thing to me is that like my highwall it will have a 1:16 twist. I can shoot the same paper patch bullets that my highwall likes. 8)
BFD

Post by BFD »

:wink:
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

Brent knows what bullet it likes
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Go with AA or AAA wood finish. :wink:
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

I will be getting the AA :D
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Good- 8)
G.
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

Ian I have a #1 Sporter heavy octagon 34" barrel with xtra fancy wood. The rifle is beautiful in 45-100 2.6. I must say it is over weight for Silhouettes. The people at Shiloh are very helpful in helping to get what you want in your weight limits. Enjoy it when you get it.
Michael Johnson

Post by Michael Johnson »

Ian, I have a 45-2.6 Long Range Express with Extra fancy wood and a 34 inch heavy octagon barrel It shoots exceptionally well out to 1200 yards (the farthest I have shot it with iron sights). I use DGL lube and have not found the 34 inch barrel to be a handicap (fouling-wise). I have shot it in the dry environs of Wyoming and Montana. A very finely crafted long range weapon! Enjoy! It weighs 13.5 pounds!
buffalocannon

Post by buffalocannon »

Mine is a now almost 20-year-old 2.6" Montana Roughrider with the 34" heavy octagon. Weighs in at 13.5 lbs. Will hit the target out as far as the Sharps long range sight reaches, about 1350 yards or so without Kentucky windage. Rifle and sight not the limiting factor, my old eyeballs are. No fouling problems as long as I clean between relays. I only put water and Ballistol in the barrel. Occasionally, I use a bore brush. Current load is Federal 215 primers, a full case of OE BP Fg1.5 run through a drop tube, .060" plastic wads, 520-grain 20/1 GG bullets, SPG lube. Blow tube.
SFogler

Post by SFogler »

Buffalocannon - have you tried heavier bullets? Both my 45-2.6s seem to like heavier bullets - 545 grain postell or money type over 535. I have not tried the 520 grain. I use mine for long range so I don't care about the weight.
buffalocannon

Post by buffalocannon »

Shot the heavier Postells and Creedmoors and others for years. tried the 520s one day last year and never looked back. Seem to get better accuracy. I mostly shoot from about 250 to 1000 yards, tending toward the longer ranges. The heavier bullets ARE louder when they hit the gong.