C. Sharps Arms adjustable 45 cal mould

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

D. Taylor Sapergia

C. Sharps Arms adjustable 45 cal mould

Post by D. Taylor Sapergia »

As the title implies, I have this mould, purchased many many years ago. I have used it very little and now that I have a new Shiloh rifle with which I have had some success with paper patched BORE diameter bullets, I want to give this GROOVE diameter bullet a go.
The bullets as cast from 1:25 alloy are .448" as advertised. I have patched them with .003" paper which brings them up to .459". I've run them through the RCBS lubrisizer dry through a .459" sizing die, and it slicks them up nicely. I've cast them with the maximum volume and they come out patched at 535 gr.
Since this is a groove diameter projectile, my overall length in my 45-70 chamber with 7 degree lead seats the bullet deeply into the case, and my calculations show that I will be able to load only 58 gr. of Swiss 1 1/2 Fg without compression. I have doubts that this load will be particularly impressive, so I've loaded 24 rounds up with 21.5 gr. of Accurate 5744, looking for around 1100 fps. I'll post the results when I've shot a few targets soon.
My question is: has anyone here any experience with this bullet and smokeless powder? Or with black powder for that matter?
semtav

Re: C. Sharps Arms adjustable 45 cal mould

Post by semtav »

Try a load with BH209.Fill the case to the bottom of the bullet. My best Long range match was shot with a Shiloh 45-70 and a Patched to Groove Bullet.
I had the 45 deg transition tho, and a bigger bullet with thinner paper, so your results may vary.
BFD

Post by BFD »

You might look at Paul Matthews' book, "The Paper Jacket". He did a lot with groove diameter and smokeless paper patched bullets.
bobw

Post by bobw »

I had that mold, I cast some bullets with it and sent them to California to a guy who had a freebored Farmer. He got them to shoot really well following my instructions. He wanted to buy the mold so I sold it to him . That worked out really well for both of us. Now you have a new rifle that should shoot patch to bore as good as possible but you want to shoot groove size bullets... damn excuse me I need to get a drink. bobw
bobw
BFD

Post by BFD »

:D
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

If you patch those with a thinner paper like the Seth Cole 55y, or Ubrecht 7 lb, they should shoot alright with black powder, might have to seat them a little deeper than some might suggest, but they'll work. Keep the length of the bullet to 1.4 or a bit shorter.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
D. Taylor Sapergia

Post by D. Taylor Sapergia »

Don, I think you have a valid point. My first efforts with this bullet are not satisfying - 4" + groups at 100 meters. The shredded patches have me wondering. They are destroyed and unrecognizable - blown to bits with no evidence of cutting. I think my .0015" or .002" onion skin and black powder will produce better groups. But I know I will be limited to about 65 gr. of Swiss 1 1/2 Fg since there is no free bore in this chamber - just a 7 degree lead. Only about 1/8" of the patch is exposed at the mouth of the case. But I will give it a go, and report.