Forearm/Barrel bedding

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Barnwood

Forearm/Barrel bedding

Post by Barnwood »

I was fortunate enough to secure a Bryan Shiloh Sharps LRE this year, and after reading all pages of the support section of the forum, I want to express my appreciation to those of you who contribute. I have learned a lot in the past few months. I attended my first Quigley this year, and enjoyed it in spite of the mud. While there, I noticed some shooters placing the barrel on their sticks instead of the forend. In the 70’s and 80’s, I read many articles on barrel bedding, and I know there were many methods used to try to “marry” the barrel to the forend. I recall reading about glass bedding, different compounds, and even a silicone bedding. Watching a barrel being placed on sticks to shoot, I wondered if that wouldn’t work to separate the barrel from its bedding, and create different barrel harmonics especially upon discharge. I haven’t seen this addressed on the forum yet, so thought I would bring it up. Part of me says I’m a fool for doing so, as I may be competing with some of those people, but in the interest of improving our sport and decreasing young people’s frustration, I decided to post the question anyway. If it’s been covered previously in another section of the forum, please disregard.
Lumpy Grits

Re: Forearm/Barrel bedding

Post by Lumpy Grits »

WELCOME :D :!:
'Stick' shooters rest the bbl about 4-6" from the muzzle.
More important that the back of the forearm not make contact with the front of the rec'r.
I have mine 'adjusted' to where I can just slide a thin business card between the forearm and the rec'r.
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
Barnwood

Post by Barnwood »

You missed my point. More than half of the shooters that I saw were shooting correctly, with the forearm on the sticks/leather. The ones resting the barrel on the sticks are obviously in the process of separating their barrel from its bedding, if there is any bedding. What say you Mr. Bryan?
BFD

Post by BFD »

Barnwood, As a general rule, if you want to win, you rest your barrel on the sticks, not your forearm. Forearms are pretty inconsequential in BPCR when shooting prone. If I bed mine, it is only for hunting rifles to seal out the wet snow and rain. And I have no idea about "in the process of separating their barrel from their bedding"

Bedding buttstocks is another matter.
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Barnwood wrote:You missed my point. More than half of the shooters that I saw were shooting correctly, with the forearm on the sticks/leather. The ones resting the barrel on the sticks are obviously in the process of separating their barrel from its bedding, if there is any bedding. What say you Mr. Bryan?
No, you missed it all together...... :roll:
How many BPCR events have you attended :?: Only one, where?
Go ahead------Rest on the forearm. :twisted:
Carry on,
G.
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
John Bly

Post by John Bly »

I shoot my Shiloh's correctly with the barrel resting on the sticks when competing in matches. I also shoot them correctly by holding the forearm when shooting offhand. There is really no "correct" way to shoot them except by whatever means the owner uses. I see no way that shooting with the barrel on the sticks can disrupt the bedding of the forearm. Your argument is totally without merit.
"Perfection consists not so much in doing extraordinary things as in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well"
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

I wouldn't worry about it much. My Shiloh's do have bedded forearms as Shiloh offers that option, but I rest the barrel on the cross sticks. I don't recall ever shooting a match with anyone who rested their rifle on the forearm. These rifles will shoot extremely well rested on the barrel. The limit of how well they shoot is determined by the shooters prone technique more than anything else, that and wind reading skill.

Chris.
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

no matter what barrel you have your going to to have harmonics, the idea is to rest your barrel where your bullet wont be affected by changing these harmonics ie. same every time. There are a few different ways to find the "dead spot" in your barrel. consistency is the name of the game here, for one of my rifles its 8in from the muzzle , and the other is 12in. bedding your forearm shouldnt hurt but I cant see where it will help as BFD said, other than if you plan to hunt and keep moisture out. You may change the harmonics of your barrel if you do bed and then you will have to find the new "dead spot" but will be still resting the barrel on sticks.....

When shooting short range the affects of not doing things correctly dont seem so bad, but at 1000+ yrds it may be the difference between paper/ gong and a miss. As you mentioned shooting at the Quigley, they are pretty big targets and pretty easy to hit (as long as that damm wind aint blowing (and that NEVER seems to happen):roll: shooting at paper is a whole different ball game...
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
Barnwood

Post by Barnwood »

Thank you BPCR. I knew all that money that was spent on barrel beddings back in the 70's was not just wasted money. I recall everybody from Sako to Mannlicher and many M1 Garand marksmen talking about barrel bedding for accuracy. It may well not apply to Sharps rifles, I really don't know, which is why I said "I wondered". Mine has a heavy barrel, and that may have something to do with it. At any rate, at this stage of the game my eyes are a much larger handicap.
To the guy in VA - try to remember that wherever you go, however you act and whatever you say, it is a reflection on your parents.
1minute

Post by 1minute »

I gain a lot of stability by having the greatest separation possible between the front and rear supports with every long gun I own. Motion is obvious and constant if I use any portion of my Sharps forearm for support. Always way out there on the barrel.
1Minute
pacecars

Post by pacecars »

I know where you are comin from. Growing up I read all the articles that said never let anything touch the barrel when shooting and never ever rest your barrel on the bags. Well it is different with BPCR. I started out shooting them with a rest on my forarm and got so-so accuracy and then I started reading more about BPCR rifle shooting and saw everyone resting their barrels on the crossed sticks. I made myself a set of them and tried it and low and behold I shot much better. So the shooters you saw resting the forarm in the sticks were not doing it correctly. Listen to these guys, they know of what they speak.
Real gun powder is black.
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

Reading this thread and some of the problems and questions that 'newbies' have reminded me of my early days back in '04. At the time this was a popular read and helped me make the transition from smokeless loading techniques to Black Powder. It is by Chuck Raithel and was written back in '01. A lot has changed since then. At that time no one had started wiping yet and so on but it's still a good read for some one new to 'our game'. I printed it out at the time and it is a part of my BP Bible. Chuck used to contribute to this forum and I remember many a good laugh reading the verbal jousting that went on between him and Kelly. Anyway here is a link to a .pdf version, 38 pages and best of all it's FREE

http://www.reloading.org.uk/Introductio ... oading.pdf

Paul
"My heroes have always been cowboys and they still are it seems."
Barnwood

Post by Barnwood »

Thanks Dead Eye. I read that a couple of months ago and it was a good read. The very best though, is to go through this support forum, all thirty some pages. It was not only very informative, but a lot of fun too! I have twice asked Lucinda for a manual for my Bryan Shiloh Sharps 1874 LRE, but I guess she is just too busy to remember. Could one of you guys who has one scan it and make a PDF? Thanks again.
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

BW, if you bought the rifle from Shiloh directly then check under the foam in the case. That is where they are packed from new. Even if it's in it's original case it could still be there if you bought it used. Most don't know they are there and they never get found and read.

Paul
"My heroes have always been cowboys and they still are it seems."
Barnwood

Post by Barnwood »

Thanks. It came from a shop near Dallas, with no box or paperwork. It's like new, and I am very happy with it, but would like to have the correct take-down procedure as well as the other maintenance info. I think I'm gonna drill a little hole in the end of the stock under the buttplate and stick an extra firing pin in there. Can anyone post a PDF or send me a PM? Thanks again.