Farmingdale without serial number?

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

gmkmd

Farmingdale without serial number?

Post by gmkmd »

Just saw a model ‘74 with no serial number on the receiver. It has the usual Shiloh (Farmingdale) markings on the receiver and barrel, but no serial number.
There is a 4-digit number on the bottom flat of the barrel, which I assume is a serial number, underneath the forearm, hand-stamped, as well as a hand stamping of the caliber “45 70”.
Has anybody seen this situation before?
lrb

Re: Farmingdale without serial number?

Post by lrb »

Serial numbers are required to be on the receiver of any gun that is chambered for any cartridge that is commonly produced or commonly available. 45-70 would fall under that criteria. I assume that only includes guns made after 1968. There may be more details to that. I have not read the regs in awhile.
lrb

Post by lrb »

Serial numbers are required to be on the receiver of any gun that is chambered for any cartridge that is commonly produced or commonly available. 45-70 would fall under that criteria. I assume that only includes guns made after 1968. There may be more details to that. I have not read the regs in awhile.
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Possibly,

One of those out the back door guns, that Wolfgang used to get really pissed over?

I had my hands on one some years ago, in 40-70 BN, I was going to buy it until I mentioned it to Wolf in 1990. He about blew a blood vessel, it to had no serial # on the receiver.

KW.
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
gmkmd

Post by gmkmd »

Are you implying that there were a significant number of guns that were stolen from the Farmingdale factory without being serialized?
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

I didn't imply anything

I stated a factual experience I had.

And Wolfgang, knew something I didn't.

With his reaction to my question that was enough for me to forget the purchase.

Kenny W.
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter