May seem strange

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

00Edge

May seem strange

Post by 00Edge »

As I said these may seem to be strange questions. Having said that please allow me to explain. I am working with a friend to create rules for a new role playing game and it happens to cover the wild west era. We're including rules for historical firearms including the vaunted Sharps Rifle. Having covered why I'm asking we now come to my questions.

Question 1: On the Wikipedia page about the Sharps rifle they only have the weight and overall length for the cavalry carbine (9.5 lbs and 47 inches). I once heard in a behind the scenes bit on the movie Quigley Down Under that the 34" barrel movie version of the rifle weighed 13 pounds. So that leads me to wonder what is the overall length and weight of a Sharps rifle with the standard 30" barrel?

Question 2: Does anyone know what the weight is of the wood stock by itself? What do all the steel parts weigh by themselves?

Thank you in advance for any answers you may have.

On a side note, my character in the play-test of the rules uses a sharps rifle. And it rocks. Just wish I could have a real one.
SharpsBig50

Re: May seem strange

Post by SharpsBig50 »

I'd say 4pounds total for butstock and forend, a 30" barrel could be light as in the case of a round barrel or up to 25 pounds in the case of a bull barrel. My 32" military stocked sharps with a heavy octagon barrel is just shy of 12 pounds.

Caliber makes a difference as well, larger bore diameters will be lighter in the same size barrel.

Original sharps rifles were made from steel that is different than modern steel and would be lighter.

I'd say around 10 pounds.
SchuetzenDave

Post by SchuetzenDave »

For Black Powder Silhouette; rifles with sights are required to be less than 12 lb. 2 ounces.

1874 Sharps with 30 inch barrels will be just under the restricted weight (about 11 1/2 lb.); however more dense higher quality wood can put you over the limit if you have a small caliber full octagon barrel (less weight removed from rifle boring).

To reduce weight; shooters will purchase the 1/2 octagon and 1/2 round barrel to remove more barrel weight.
SchuetzenDave

Post by SchuetzenDave »

My .40-65 1874 Shiloh Sharps Long Range Express with a 30 inch Heavy Half Barrel; with a Pewter Forearm and Fancy Wood; Steel Shotgun Butt Plate, a MVA Mid-Range Buffalo Soule Tang Sight, MVA Front Globe Sight; and a Magnum Hadley Disk plus Unertl Scope Bases weighs: 12 lb. 0.24 oz.

The MVA Mid-Range Buffalo Soule Tang Sight weighed 2.9 oz. without the base.

The Magnum Hadley Disk weighed 2.4 oz.
George Babits

Post by George Babits »

My original Sharps 1874 with a 30" octagonal barrel in 40-70 Sharps Straight, weighs 10.7 pounds with a globe front and rear tang sight. Also has the Lawrence sight on the barrel. I also have an original "Meacham" Sharps with a heavier 30" barrel in 45-70. That weighs 11.75 pounds if I remember right, but I have added an MVA windgage front , and a Riflesmith long range tang sight so it is probably a little heavier now.

George
Salmon, Idaho
00Edge

Post by 00Edge »

Thanks a bunch for the replies. That is all great information.
kenny s

Post by kenny s »

my original 74 sharps, 30 inch 40 70, military butt, Bridgeport fore end and markings.
9 pounds, 13/16ths of a pound. just under 10.
it's marked with the weight under the barrel in barrel weight and 16ths......
they only did this for a short time.

so. under 10 pounds with the standard weight 40 cal, 30 inch barrel.
ken
bucksnort

Post by bucksnort »

It sounds like a LRE, .40-65 with a heavy octagonal barrel will make weight? Or, to be safe, go with the oct/round barrel? Thanks.
bohemianway

Post by bohemianway »

I am new to the forum but have watched for a long time. And, having a few originals, with letters, the ten pound rifles were refered to by Sharps as light rifles. All of my Hartford sporting rifles are in the 13+ pound range with 30" barrels and the records do not indicate anything special about the weights. They are heavier than Shilohs "Heavy Octagon" models by about one pound.

Charles