no lead

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

bruce m

no lead

Post by bruce m »

ventum est amicus meus
martinibelgian

Re: no lead

Post by martinibelgian »

Think I tried that one once, but I was less than impressed. For the moment, I am using the boretech rimfire blend & their carbon remover, seems to work better for me.
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

gert,
it is only newly released.
ventum est amicus meus
Jim Kidwell

Post by Jim Kidwell »

I would like to know if it is TSCA compliant....................
....................................Jim
You are a ghost driving a meat covered skeleton made from stardust riding a rock floating through space.
Fear nothing. (anon)……………………
Trigger1212

Post by Trigger1212 »

No experience with it and never heard of it but would be great if it worked as described. Will be watching to see if anyone else has positive experience with it.

I’ve never heard of ANYTHING being able to dissolve lead, get under it, loosen it etc, yes, dissolve it? No

Wade
martinibelgian

Post by martinibelgian »

Bruce,

Now sitting on my desk is a bottle of Wipe-out brushless lead remover "no-lead" from sharp shoot r precision products, purchased - I believe - last year in Bisley, UK at HPS for 15£. So not really recently released...
And the back label says "may burn eyes or skin", so not really harmless. As I stated, didn't work all that well for me.
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

well gert, that just goes to show how far behind we are in oz!
getting stuff here is like trying to pull hen's teeth.
their copper and carbon remover has a good name in smokeless circles.
ventum est amicus meus
MAH

Post by MAH »

I use to use their products, Black Powder Solvent. It will pit the bore! My rifle has pits at least 8 inches down the bore. Right in the corner of the lands. The barrel was not even a year old.

MAH
MAH

Post by MAH »

I use to use their products, Black Powder Solvent. It will pit the bore! My rifle has pits at least 8 inches down the bore. Right in the corner of the lands. The barrel was not even a year old.

MAH
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

mah,
it is surprising that black powder solvents are commercially marketed.
you can make your own, just as good, far more cheaply.
reading the website, they make it clear that their no lead product should be used as per direction, which includes deactivating it after use.
not sure about the cleaner.
the copper product is highly regarded in smokeless circles.
maybe the lead one is meant more for rimfire barrels?
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
martinibelgian

Post by martinibelgian »

No such deactivation instructions on my bottle, also the instructions are a bit wierd - it talks a bout a clear, red gel while the bottle contents are more yellowish...
semtav

Post by semtav »

MAH wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:58 pm I use to use their products, Black Powder Solvent. It will pit the bore! My rifle has pits at least 8 inches down the bore. Right in the corner of the lands. The barrel was not even a year old.
MAH
I've use their Wipe-out, Patch out for my Blackhorn 209 and have never had a problem with it. but I lube my barrel and action liberally with power lube when done cleaning. Have a bottle of the BP solvent. Never found a reason to use it when water works so well. Probably won't now for sure.
monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy »

[quote=martinibelgian post_id=300347 time=1545726449 user_id=3092]
No such deactivation instructions on my bottle, also the instructions are a bit wierd - it talks a bout a clear, red gel while the bottle contents are more yellowish...
[/quote]That's the same stuff that I tried and although I didn't see any lead removal the patches came out reddish brown and looked suspiciously like surface rust. The bottle went in the trash and I went back to using the tried and true turpentine on a tight patch.
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

i think i won't chase it up.
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
martinibelgian

Post by martinibelgian »

BRuce,

If you want a decent lead remover, the Boretech rimfire blend https://www.boretech.com/products/rimfire-blend and their chameleon gel are pretty good. And they also have a carbon remover, but normally the rimfire blend also takes care of that. Not cheap, but they work quite well. That's what I use nowadays.
And they do seem to have Australian distributors.