Smithmoor January 22's

This is where you can place your scores from the matches. It uses an excel spread sheet! If you send me your sheet of scores I can put it on the forum and provide a link where everyone can view it.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

jackrabbit

Smithmoor January 22's

Post by jackrabbit »

Fellow Shooters, 1/13/2019

Apparently, Carpenter Wyoming sits in a anomaly that has winter weather that is closer to Phoenix, Arizona than it is to the high plains of Wyoming. We had a really nice day for our match yesterday. A skiff of snow covered the berms first thing in the morning, but temperatures quickly rose to the mid 40's with very little wind. Greg Bybee had the great idea to bring his weed burner and 20 or 30 minutes of work had the berms clear of snow. Thank you to Greg for that great idea and helping out. The flags fluttered around and occasionally a small 1/2 or 1 minute wind correction was needed, but that was about it.

Unfortunately the weather nearly all the way around us was not nearly so nice. Much of Colorado had many inches of heavy wet snow, as well as the north, west, and east of us had snow, fog, and ice. We had 29 shooters signed up on Friday morning, but as the weather deteriorated throughout the day and into the night, we had quite a few folks not be able to make it. I had to smile when I saw JD and Dick Farmer pull in from central Colorado. It really wasn't too bad, they said. Apparently they only had to chain up twice and winch out of the ditch once. Bryan Youngberg also made it down from Casper by using his Yeti superpowers to see through the thick fog and skate on the ice. Gotta love that kind of commitment to come shoot some 22's!

It really was too bad more folks couldn't make it as we had a great match. Mom and Dad (Gary and Lorraine) volunteered to do lunch and it was great. A giant pot of Dad's famous chili and big pans of Mom's cornbread and cookies filled everybody up. Also a big thank you to the folks that brought donuts. I have to hustle around on match mornings to get the cows fed and ice chopped before we shoot and I sure enjoy a donut and cup of coffee when I get to the range.

The shooting was sure something to talk about! We had 4 people clean all the lay down targets! I was quite pleased to be one of them as that was actually the very first time I have gotten it done. It must have been a Smith day as Coralee and Dad also did it. Kenny Wasserburger is kind of an adopted Smith, so I suppose that somehow must count as well as he was on the list too. Speaking of Kenny, he had a great shooting day and managed to smack 4 chickens to end up with a 34 and tying for match winner. We decided to shoot off on offhand pigs, and I luckily managed to edge him out for the win. Kenny ended up 1st in Master Class. My Dad, Gary Smith, was quite tickled to clean the lay downs and hit two chickens to clench 1st AAA and also gain the last master class score he needed to move to master. Yahooo! So proud of you Dad! Greg Bybee has been practicing hard and was pleased with his score of 29 to win AA class. Young Chase Sauer also shot well with a 21 to win A class. Chase also smacked his very first chicken during a match and earned a golden chicken pin to commemorate the event. Watch out for Chase! He's headed up the ladder!

Our paper target, which is sponsored by Cat's Shooting Sticks and SPG Sales, was enjoyed by the shooters. We shot a 100 yard Wyoming Schuetzen Union German ring target from SPG Sales. 14 shots are fired at the target and the best 10 are counted for score. Bryan Youngberg shot a respectable 245 to be high prone paper target and won a 25 dollar gift certificate to Cat's Shooting Sticks to use toward the purchase of any of their super products. Bryan graciously donated it back to use in the future and accepted a Harry Pope poster from SPG Sales instead. Chase Sauer shot a super 237 to be high prone A/AA class paper target . Great shooting Chase! I forgot to send it with him, but I am sure Chase can use and will really appreciate the Cat's Shooting Sticks gift certificate. We only had one brave taker in the Jackrabbit Challenge this month. Jim Rodebaugh took Coralee's challenge of awarding a 20 dollar bill to anyone who wants to shoot the paper target offhand and shoots a higher score than me. No entry fee and the chance to win 20 bucks! I can't believe she can't get more takers. Jim and I shoot together during the week quite a bit, and he beats me on a regular basis. I am sure it won't be long before all this costs Coralee 20 bucks…

Another event of note I wanted to mention was that we gave out a 5 in a row chicken pin! Cecil Sauer got 'er done and was quite pleased. I was very happy to give it to him as well. Of course, he took a little ribbing as he missed the first 5 chickens, and then managed to hit the last 5. Talk about hot and cold! Great shooting Cecil! We don't get to give very many of those out.

We have a big bore silhouette match planned for next Saturday the 19th. There is some weather on the radar for later in the week, so we will see what happens. Dad and I have meetings out of town later in the week, so we won't have time to prep the range before Saturday morning. If it's crummy at all, we probably won't shoot, but hopefully we get to. We will let everyone know Thursday or Friday what it is looking like. Otherwise, I hope to see everyone back here at Smithmoor on February 9th for our next winter series 22 match. Thank you to our generous sponsors and the fantastic bunch of shooters that all make our matches so special.
take care my friends,
Cody

Shooter Paper Chicken Pig Turkey Ram total place
Grand Master
Cody Smith OH223 4 10 10 10 34 MW

Master
Steve Anderson 224 1 10 9 9 29
Dick Hennebry 220 0 9 9 9 27
Mark Pachares 237 2 9 10 10 31
Jim Rodebaugh OH 189 2 10 9 10 31
Cecil Sauer 239 5 9 9 6 29
Coralee Smith 243 2 10 10 10 32
Kenny Wasserburger 239 4 10 10 10 34 1st
Bryan Youngberg 245 4 9 10 10 33 1st Paper

AAA
JD Farmer 240 0 10 8 7 25
Tom Reed 237 3 10 9 7 29
Cole Sauer 235 3 10 4 10 27
Gary Smith 238 2 10 10 10 32 1st and moves to Master
James Sedman 236 2 10 7 9 28

AA
Greg Bybee 235 2 10 8 9 29 1st
Dick Farmer -- 2 9 9 4 24

A/B
Keith Kelly 185 1 9 6 2 18
Chase Sauer 237 1 10 2 8 21 1st
stevewhr

Re: Smithmoor January 22's

Post by stevewhr »

Again, thank you Cody. Thanks for the great write up, the range, the friends and the food. Lucky I am for being so close by!
wyomingsightdrifter.com
40-65rl

Post by 40-65rl »

What a great day of friendship and shooting. Many thanks to Mark P and Steve A for the donuts. Super thanks to Lorraine and Gary for the lunch and extras. Congrats to the four "lay downs cleaned". It is not as easy as one would think, i.e. look at my score. I guess those that can't.... teach, LOL. Super to see Kenny score this great score, gave Cody a run for it in the end. Look forward to the match next month and I will bring the reduced size BPTR 600 yard target we can set at 100 for ya.
Dick
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

I meant to brag on Dick's spotting on Saturday as well. He was the only reason I finally cleaned the lay downs. I think he was as pleased as I was. Thank you Dick for the great spotting and the great friendship!
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Just a tremendous time, good friends and family. I can not thank my southern Wy family enough. There were a lot of personal bests Saturday, it was awesome.

I was pretty proud of Bryan’s excellent 245/250 on the paper target, we worked for it. Bryan was shooting his Shiloh/Summerfield Sharps.....it shoots.

Brother Gary and Lorraine, made me as always, welcome and feed me like a king.

And my Ballard is probably one of my favorite rifles, I know David Barnes often wishes he hadn’t sold that rifle to me. :lol:
If you ever get to Phoenix.....you should make a trip to Lapua’s test center best $50 I ever spent.

Kenny
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter