Butte January Schuetzen Scores

This is where you can place your scores from the matches. It uses an excel spread sheet! If you send me your sheet of scores I can put it on the forum and provide a link where everyone can view it.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Del

Butte January Schuetzen Scores

Post by Del »

Here's a link to the scores for this month Butte Schuetzen Match. I didn't attend so I don't have much of a writeup but I do have the scores:

http://www.mtbpcr.com/2019ButteJanSchuetzen.html
Fortune Favors the Bold...
BFD

Re: Butte January Schuetzen Scores

Post by BFD »

Del, what were the terms of the match? Hard to appreciate the scores without knowing the game? 200 yds offhand on 25 ring target?
Del

Post by Del »

Yep, with a total of a possible 625 points. Two matches per day for a total of 50 shots per day shot by each competitor. You and your partner have 50 minutes to take 50 shots. They are not real sticklers on the time limit, however, but most people are done considerably sooner than that. There are rings starting at 15 and going to a 25 point bull. If you miss the rings but hit the paper you get 10. If you miss the paper you get a zero. Of course all 25 shots are shot offhand. A score of 500, which is a hell of a score, means an average of 20 per shot which means you, on average, put all 25 shots into a 9 inch circle. Each ring is three quarters of an inch wide. The target has both a large and a small Target as well as you can choose red or black. Most scope shooters shoot at the small red target while most iron shooters shoot at the large target. The hits are far easier to see on the red target but some people struggle to see the red clearly and choose black when shooting iron. Knowing where you hit is of the utmost importance so you are giving up some clarity on the target to be able to see the hits on the red.

It is amazing while shooting iron sights how perfectly the target has to look at the moment of the break to be able to consistently hit in the rings. I think a lot of that is due to that you can break it on the target but due to lock time by the time the gun goes off you are off the target. Adding to that is if you are not sitting still on the target when it goes off, your relative movement will loft the bullet in the direction of the movement so even if you are break it dead center the movement can throw it clear off the target. Follow-through is extremely important.

Also, as kind of a side thing, the first one to hit a 25 wins money on each match. Also at the end of the two matches that are shot on Saturday, there is a King match where you get one shot each at a special target, the King Target, and the one that hits closest on the King Target win's the target and some money.
BFD

Post by BFD »

Centerfire or rimfire? Sounds like a really fun match. I'd suck though. But that's nothing new.
Del

Post by Del »

Only centerfire in this competition but Darrell Smithson said that Butch was looking at doing a .22 match on Sunday for those that wanted to stay an extra day on the weekends that we only shoot Saturday. Not sure where that is going at this point. Pat Bowland sometimes puts on a .22 match after the normal matches on Saturday of the bigger shoots (Jim Gier and John Taylor Memorial matches) but they didn't do it for the Jim Gier this match. If you decide to come and shoot, bring a .22 just in case!

Most are shooting 38-55s as I have seen. In the past it seems to me from what little I have read is that the caliber of choice was 32-40 as most of the older original schuetzen guns you see seem to be that. Just my passing observations, however. So fellas shoot using bullet seaters and using one case only method. Not sure the name of that process but theoretically it should be the most consistent way to reload. Hasn't seemed to be that way to me as the top shooters don't do it that way but it may be the shooter and not the process.

I have been working on my rifle in getting a new stock made for it and it fits me considerably better. My goal was just to get all 25 on paper. I told Johnny Spratling that if I could just do that I would call it good enough and quit... Of course, just knowing me, I didn't think it was ever going to be possible as the best that I had ever done was one off where most of the time it was 4 or 5 complete misses. Well, at the Jim Gier match, my last match I got them all on (one was just a faint mark on the right side of the paper but it marked!) and I shot a 484. So now Johnny wants to buy my rifle since I'm not going to doing it anymore! But I haven't even got the rifle finished so I think I'm going to have to eat some crow and keep shooting... :D
BFD

Post by BFD »

The winds of Butte are legendary. The .38 may be advantageous relative to the pipsqueak that the .32 is.

I have a Borchardt .38-55 Helm Schuetzen rifle I haven't shot in 10 or so years... It's nearly a virgin.

Beast of a gun though at about 14 or 15 lbs.
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

Not meaning to butt in, but I thought I would throw this out there. I don't know if you noticed or not, but Butte requires 100% black powder loads with no plastic wads. The other fact of the matter is that the building and firing line is quite crowded and one simply does not have a lot of room. This basically necessitates shooting fixed cartridge as there is not really enough room to set up a bench. Some of the guys wipe, but it is a bit of a pain as well. At Butte, a fixed cartridge blow tube load is a clear advantage. I had no luck getting my 32-40 to shoot well that way, so I wiped and breech seated last year (and won) but I wouldn't recommend it. I was wore out trying to frantically hurry as fast as possible and my neighbors were a little grumpy at me bumping into them all day. This year I brought a 38-55 that shoots very well fixed cartridge and blow tubing (and won again). With smokeless at other matches breech seating is a clear advantage, but the Butte matches are just a bit of a different cat. 32-40's are notoriously difficult to make shoot well with straight black powder. I didn't believe it till I started trying. I don't believe I have ever worked so hard at load development. I tried something like 26 different combinations, and only one worked ok. The rest were miserable. This year with the 38-55 it was plum easy. I loaded three different combinations of bullets and powder charges and all of them shot to less than 1 1/2" at 100 yards.

Hopefully you can make it next year Brent, it is a neat and fun experience that anyone who has any interest in schuetzen should make the time to do.
take care, Cody
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

Del or Cody,

I don't have a 32-40 or a 38-55 but I do have a 40-65 and wonder if there is anyone shooting one of those successfully. I've wanted to try this match for some time but not having a dedicated Schuetzen rifle has kept me away. Then there's the 750 mile drive and the weather in mid-December ? ? ?

Paul
"My heroes have always been cowboys and they still are it seems."
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

Last year Chip Mate nearly won the Jim Gier iron sight match with his 40-65 silhouette rifle. I would say about 1/4 of the guys are shooting their BPCR rifles they use in silhouette. I'd probably work up a light bullet chicken type load for your 40-65, but either way you will fit right in and have a good time. Hopefully you can make it sometime!
Del

Post by Del »

Hi Paul,

A lot of shooters play this game to get practice on chickens so they shoot their normal silhouette rifles and chicken loads. Anything you can shoot well offhand at 200 yards work. A schuetzen rifle with a dropped palm rest makes it easier on your holding arm and after 25 shots for score and a number of sighters your arm can get pretty tired. I used to shoot with my hand out towards the end of the fore end of my rifle but I stopped that about half way through my first match and started supporting it at the front end of the action. Easier to get your arm against your chest for support.

So anyways, a silhouette gun works just fine.
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

Thanks men, Butch has tried to get me to give the December match a try more than once. I've never worked up a Chicken load for the 40-65 but that sounds like something I should work on this summer. Might just be the year to give it a go.

Paul
"My heroes have always been cowboys and they still are it seems."