4065 help

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

PacRATT

Re: 4065 help

Post by PacRATT »

The patch paper I got from Buffalo Arms measures .002”. Two wet wraps (.008”) on my Kal-Tool .392” bullet gives me .399-.400”. If your liking of getting a different mould, Rick cuts his moulds on a CNC mill and can do any size.
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

One other suggestion. Since you are using Orville's chamber design, you might want to send a message to Orville as he is on this forum. He is a nice guy and I'm sure he woulds give you some suggestions to get you sorted out quickly.

Chris.
kenny s

Post by kenny s »

look at PacRatt, I did the same and it works well. chambers easily in the .400/.408 Shiloh

BA paper, wet wrap, 67 1 1/2 OE, one veg wad and one plastic.
compress about 1/8

Patch up to the bullet ogave. This bullet is 415 grains from BA, and one diameter.
I'm also using the 360 custom two diameter with the front being .393 and the rear at .398 patched and it slides in just a little tighter but no sticking as long as I don't overlap the patch.

Ken
rfd

Post by rfd »

my initial cartridge for a new .40-65 w/1:16 rifling is new starline brass, standard fed 210 primer, 70.1 grains of swiss 1-1/2f, a pair of .025" milk carton wads under the 392 grain accurate molds slick that's patched with dry 9# fidelity onion paper. this slick is cast with 1:16 alloy, drops @ .393", and when paper wrapped it fits perfectly in the bore and requires a delrin rod to push it out - not tight, not snug, just right. all of this is to get fire formed brass and then the real load development will begin.
BR ~ TMA ~ BPG
lennies

Post by lennies »

RFD, is this your first 40-65?
Having gone over my measurements again and again, I've come to the conclusion that my bullet might be .002 too much. I've got them all loaded, and just been waiting for a break in the weather so I can get the remainder fire formed. Don't like the waiting much, but it's that time of year.
Thanks for your comments.
rfd

Post by rfd »

lennies wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:54 am RFD, is this your first 40-65?
Having gone over my measurements again and again, I've come to the conclusion that my bullet might be .002 too much. I've got them all loaded, and just been waiting for a break in the weather so I can get the remainder fire formed. Don't like the waiting much, but it's that time of year.
Thanks for your comments.
this is my third time to the dance with a .40-65 rifle. as with any gun, there will be unique things to both discover, compromise and/or overcome.
BR ~ TMA ~ BPG
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

Fixing the bullets being 0.002" oversized can of course be fixed with a different mold, but you could try thinner paper, or fix it by ordering a custom Lee push through sizer set to what you believe your bore diameter to be.

Chris.
rfd

Post by rfd »

a PPB bore rider is what i want, not overbore and into the rifling. as chris posted, this is all about the diameter the alloy slick drops at, the patch paper thickness, and the resulting PPB diameter that'll fit the bore. i've heard of some shooters going "a lot" under bore with their PPB and achieving good results, but nailing a .3395" or .399" or even .398" patched slick for a .400" bore would be best. for a slick to drop too large, the quick fix is resizing and thinner paper. this doesn't even take into account if the slick in question is of a proper weight and length - meaning, what the rifle will like. another big variable will be the chamber dimensions, particularly if it's greaser cut with some amount of freebore. in any event, i look to seat a PPB .100" into the case. lotta variables. but once it's all sorted out, and that absolutely can be accomplished, having a cartridge where there is no OAL is a nice thing on several levels.

cheers,
rob.
BR ~ TMA ~ BPG
kenny s

Post by kenny s »

in the 1870S Sharps said that the PP bullets should be just the right size if the weight of a cleaning rod will push them through the bore.
Mentioned many times in other articles.

I patch my .393 bullets with 9 lob BA paper wet, and they slip fit in the fired JBA cases with just 1/8 space on top, and they all slide nicely in the bore on loading. 1 1/2 to 2 inch 100 groups.
Ken