Front sight for BPCS

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

rgchristensen

Front sight for BPCS

Post by rgchristensen »

New season will start soon. I'm strongly thinking of using a wide flat-top post with 6 o'clock hold for silhouettes. I'm an old bullseye shooter, and have always used aperture fronts, but begin to think that a post will give some optical advantage for these OLD eyes. What do you think?

CHRIS
RGChristensen
Woody

Re: Front sight for BPCS

Post by Woody »

Chris,

Won't hurt to give it a try. Twice a year, I shoot silhouette with a Trapdoor. That front blade works for chickens and pigs, but when it gets close to the turkeys, they just disappear. Elevation is pretty hard to hold consistently on the rams. I just can't see the "line of white" anymore. Your results may vary.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
rgchristensen

Post by rgchristensen »

WOODY:
Well, we will find out on SAT. I had tried a post front last shoot last year when the RAMs were poorly contrasted, and had fair results. I can still center bullseyes in an aperture front, but the irregular silhouettes are a problem.

CHRIS
RGChristensen
Woody

Post by Woody »

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
Woody

Post by Woody »

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
John Bly

Post by John Bly »

Chris, the problem I've had with a post sight is that with a dark rail sometimes it gets difficult to clearly differentiate the post from the rail. causing high and low misses. Once when conditions were dark and hazy and everyone was wondering what insert to use I suggested to someone to use a post upside down and was told I was nuts. Well I tried it and did well that day but not so well on another day. I have not tried it in a long time.

As I have aged I find that I need a heavier annular ring as the thin ones just disappear. I have also gone to a larger aperture to get more light around the target. It has helped to keep me in the game with iron sights at age 72. I know you've even got a few years on me.
"Perfection consists not so much in doing extraordinary things as in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well"
Woody

Post by Woody »

Heck Chris who needs a front sight anyway.

Once at Raton, the banks were so dark from the Monsoons that I could not see the turkeys no matter what aperture I tried. I took it out, and shot them using the hood as the aperture. It worked. I didn't get them all, but at least I could see them and got more than most.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
Woody

Post by Woody »

Heck Chris who needs a front sight anyway.

Once at Raton, the banks were so dark from the Monsoons that I could not see the turkeys no matter what aperture I tried. I took it out, and shot them using the hood as the aperture. It worked. I didn't get them all, but at least I could see them and got more than most.

Woody
Richard A. Wood