45-70 “money bullet mold”

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

gunlaker

Re: 45-70 “money bullet mold”

Post by gunlaker »

Gerald, my 458535 bullet is 0.449" on the nose. I have found pretty much what Bruce mentioned with respect to leading. I ordered 2 Creedmoor molds from Brooks, one with a .449" nose and one with a .450" nose. The only difference is the .450" nose leads the bore. I was surprised that one thousandth made a difference to be honest. I imagine this might be one reason for the Postell style nose.

Shooting long range in a .45-70 this might not be the best bullet as Dennis says, due to powder capacity problems. I have used it at long range and it shot extremely well, but that was with my .45-90 with a very loooong throat. I use 84.5gr of Swiss 1.5 with basically zero compression.

I have used the 459530M4 which has 3 reduced driving bands. I can use 74gr of Swiss in a .45-70 to get the velocity up higher. It gives up a little bit of accuracy compared to a full diameter bullet, but I think at longer range the extra velocity is probably worth it. I have used this bullet at just under 900 yards in one of my Long Range Express rifles. Interestingly it shoots best by far in an older Shiloh that I own. In this rifle the reduced driving bands are engraved by the rifling when you look at an extracted round. In my newer Shiloh rifles there is no engraving and the bullet does not shoot as well. I think the older rifle ( Bryan era, but early 1990's I think ) has slightly smaller bore/groove dimensions. It also has the tightest headspace of any of my Shiloh's. When using WW brass I have to sort them as not all of them will chamber due to rim thickness variation.

Chris.
green chile

Post by green chile »

I ordered the M1 and M4 money bullet molds today. One was in stock and one will be a few weeks out. Thanks again for all of the info.
Etienne Brule

Post by Etienne Brule »

gunlaker wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:26 pm Gerald, my 458535 bullet is 0.449" on the nose. I have found …

Chris.
Thank you Chris.