Bullet

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

ChrisF

Bullet

Post by ChrisF »

Does anyone use the BACO JIM459541M3 bullet
desert deuce

Re: Bullet

Post by desert deuce »

No, but I have been shooting the BACO 459542M3 successfully for several seasons at Creedmoor distances.
Byers, Lodi, Raton, Phoenix, Missoula, etc
It works very well in standard 45-90 chambered rifles with 16, 17 or 18 twist barrels.
Dave Gullo also uses this bullet at Creedmoor in his 45-90 with 1-20 alloy, I use 1-16
We both use in the vicinity of 79-81 grains of Swiss 1.5 with Federal GM150M Match large pistol primers. Let the target talk.
I think it would be worth a trip to the Creedmoor range in a 2.6 chamber but I have not tried it. Don't need to it rocks in the 2.4 chamber.

I really can't speak to distances less than 800 yards though.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
Dennis Armistead

Post by Dennis Armistead »

desert deuce wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:37 pm No, but I have been shooting the BACO 459542M3 successfully for several seasons at Creedmoor distances.
Byers, Lodi, Raton, Phoenix, Missoula, etc
It works very well in standard 45-90 chambered rifles with 16, 17 or 18 twist barrels.
Dave Gullo also uses this bullet at Creedmoor in his 45-90 with 1-20 alloy, I use 1-16
We both use in the vicinity of 79-81 grains of Swiss 1.5 with Federal GM150M Match large pistol primers. Let the target talk.
I think it would be worth a trip to the Creedmoor range in a 2.6 chamber but I have not tried it. Don't need to it rocks in the 2.4 chamber.

I really can't speak to distances less than 800 yards though.
This is the same bullet that I shot at Phoenix with my 2.6. It does shoot well. I had a bit of new learning curve shooting the "mini" GG though. The problem that I was running in to was fouling control the last 4 inches of barrel. Even though I was wiping with 2 wet, it didn't seem enough because of the amount of lube the bullet carries over the standard money bullet. Once I adjusted my wet patch dilemma I've been nothing but happy. It will consistently print 2 1/4" vertical 10 shot groups at 300 yards. Now if I can just hold my scope together long enough.
Dennis
Experience trumps intelligence every time.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

The Dennis brings up an important point about mini-grease groove bullets.
And alludes to problems developing in Phoenix with fouling. I don't think Phoenix only affects mini-gg bullets.
Yep, and the real problem is that problem may wait until the 5th or 6th shot to manifest itself before accuracy really takes a nose dive.
I suspect the problem is something like this. Phoenix presents lower humidity than normal and higher radiant heating than normal.
When the lower humidity and higher radiant heating combine with the heat of combustion the heat inside the bore becomes elevated.
The combined forces are hot enough to evaporate patch moisture and bullet lube and leaves some hard residue lying next to the lands with each succeeding shot, following shots increasingly are stripped of lead and accuracy suffers.

At Phoenix under similar conditions I have seen wiping patches come out the muzzle steaming and toasted brown.

My solution is BACO bore wipes, two felts, dipped in MPR7 cleaner with a damp 2 1/4" pro shot cotton patch pushed through at the base of the bore wipe. Too dry did not prove sufficient that is why the following damp patch. Too wet didn't work well either. Go figure.
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

And the difference between them is?
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

The report given by the target.
Dennis Armistead

ChrisF wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:49 pm And the difference between them is?
ChrisF, If you look at the specs on BACO's moulds between the two rounds the "mini" Money has smaller grease grooves to make them more streamline for flatter trajectory. Wiping of the bore is mandatory because blow tubing won't get it done. So in my opinion, it's a more accurate long range round because of the more streamlined shape and you have to wipe in between shots. This round is almost 1 1/2" long so I use a 1:16 twist. I over spin the round to about the 300 yard line so when it reaches 1000 it still has plenty of stability. If you've ever been in the butt's on the thousand you can tell who's shooting properly stabilized rounds and those who shoot what I call UFO's. That "whirring" sound of a round going sideways.
Dennis
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

Desertdeuce thanks for the docket scientist answer that tells me nothing. Specs would be helpful.
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

Thanks Dennis
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

Chris there is one other clear difference. The bullet you asked about has a shorter nose than any of the other money bullets I've seen.

Chris.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Now Chris F, really a docket scientist? Perhaps a short answer that apparently needs qualification. It actually tells you everything you need to know.

You specified Long Range Target Rifle which implies competition. The Dennis and I are both trying to tell you the 459542M3 is his choice, my choice and Dave Gullo's choice. (That's not a bad recommendation pard at $160.00 plus shipping a pop.)

Your question implies what is the difference in the two when none of the three of us claims to have tried 459541M3 at long range target which specifically is 800-900 & 1,000 yards. (That may prove to be the best information you can find about 459541M3.) I have shot many, many loads and bullets at 600 yards that shoot just fine at 600 but fall apart at long range.

The practical and useful answer is how the two bullets compare in your rifle at the distances you plan to shoot and the only way to determine that is to load the two bullets up and shoot them in your rifle and shoot them at those distances. I cannot answer that question for you. Only the target can.

Any noticeable difference determined by a dial caliper or micrometer won't answer the, "how does it shoot in your rifle question?" Because the only difference that matters is how well either bullet shoots in your rifle at those distances.
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

Could not find a 459542M3 in BACO CATALOG
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Strange, I just looked at both of them about half an hour ago.
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

Can't find 459542M3 only 459541M3
Dennis Armistead

ChrisF wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:26 am Can't find 459542M3 only 459541M3
https://www.buffaloarms.com/459-540-gra ... im459540m3