Rebarrel Questions

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

everetto

Rebarrel Questions

Post by everetto »

Hi All,

I have a deluxe #1 Sporter with 34" 16 lb octagon barrel, chambered in 45-120. I am considering having Shiloh rebarrel the rifle to 45-70. Originally I was going to go with a 25 lb barrel, which of course will require a new pewter forend, which obviously adds to the price of the job, especially because the rifle has extra fancy wood, AAA finish, and custom bedding. Now I am considering going with a 16 lb barrel, and here are my questions;

- going from one 16 lb barrel to another 16 lb barrel, can we retain and use the current forend (this assumes the new 45-70 barrel would be the same length as the existing barrel, so the barrel taper would be the same between the two)?

- can the existing cartridge extractor for the 45-120 be used for the 45-70 (.506 vs .505 base diameter, and slightly different head diameters)?

Thank you in advance for any info.
beltfed

Re: Rebarrel Questions

Post by beltfed »

I should think that if you are going to send in your rifle or barreled action to Shiloh,
They could measure your old barrel and exactly profile your new barrel such that the forend would
still fit.
beltfed/arnie
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

You should call Shiloh and see if they have that bbl in stock.
IIRC: They only 'run' those bbl's once or twice a yr.
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
buffalocannon

Post by buffalocannon »

Have you considered selling the rifle and ordering exactly what you want from Shiloh? There are those who may want a heavy 120 for long range target work, Kenny's mile shoot, or large game herd thinning. I wanted a 120 at one time but as I have grown older, find that a 100 is all I can handle.
parkergunz

Post by parkergunz »

FWIW
I recently had a rebarrel. Same barrel contour, heavy half, as original. The original forearm fit was perfect. They did provide a new extractor to fit the cut on the new barrel.
bobw

Post by bobw »

Before you rebarrel it you should shoot the hell out of it. Any Shiloh chambered for one that has that heavy a barrel can't kick to much. 45-3.25" with a WLR 116 grs Fg and a 566 gr ppb should shoot sweet, did in my brothers 3.25 don't know why it won't in yours. bob
bobw
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Sorry this is late, was at NRA. Anyway going back with the same contour everything can be re-used.

Kirk
everetto

Post by everetto »

Thank you all for the replies.