Poly wads...which side up?

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

labop

Poly wads...which side up?

Post by labop »

I notice a radius on one side and the other flat side has some debris or fuzz at the cut edge. Have two brands, both similar. Does it make any difference which side goes next to the bullet base? I thought that at the time of ignition the radius would get flattened out but it has memory and still shows on a down range pickup. How about diameter, one 0.408 the other 0.412. Is bigger better? My short trial says no.

labop
Lumpy Grits

Re: Poly wads...which side up?

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Easier to push into the case with the 'rounded' side down.
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
Woody

Post by Woody »

My own home made wads that I cut from LDPE sheet is the same as you describe. I've always placed them in rounded side against the powder and sharp edge against the bullet base. Seems to work just fine.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
Dennis Armistead

Post by Dennis Armistead »

small end against the powder.
Dennis
Experience trumps intelligence every time.
BFD

Post by BFD »

test it. If you get two distinct groups with being from radius up and one being radius down, then you know.

but you won't. They will all shoot to the same hole.
Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

I sorta done a test on this once upon a time. I had a load that wanted a .030 and a .060 wad together. I did the test 2 times and both times it told me the same thing. I would put the .030 poly wad in first and the .060 poly wad on top of it with the tapered side down toward the powder on both wads. The other way I loaded was with the .060 wad on top with the tapered side up toward the bullet, so the powder had a tapered side toward it and the bullet had a tapered side toward it. I tried it two times on different days and the load with both tapered sides down toward the powder shot the best. It produced a ten shot group that measured center to center 1.470 in width and 1.135 in height. That test was over, never did use that load, forgot about it until you brought this up. :idea:
Normal isn't coming back, but Jesus is.
Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

I sorta done a test on this once upon a time. I had a load that wanted a .030 and a .060 wad together. I did the test 2 times and both times it told me the same thing. I would put the .030 poly wad in first and the .060 poly wad on top of it with the tapered side down toward the powder on both wads. The other way I loaded was with the .060 wad on top with the tapered side up toward the bullet, so the powder had a tapered side toward it and the bullet had a tapered side toward it. I tried it two times on different days and the load with both tapered sides down toward the powder shot the best. It produced a ten shot group that measured center to center 1.470 in width and 1.135 in height. That test was over, never did use that load, forgot about it until you brought this up. :idea:
Tomklinger

Post by Tomklinger »

Smoke,
I'll bet you shot that group at 600yds. with your #7 Ballard and your paper patch loads using the recycled cleaning patches!! :lol:
Tom
Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

Tom, I've seen the groups you've shot at 600yds. and they are dang near what I shoot at 200yds. I can only wish for that. The recycled patches work great, I am working on a project now about recycling the paper patches that fly off my bullets. :lol: Get Mark to flip those poly wads both ways and see what happens on the target and report back.
Geologist

Post by Geologist »

I have always inserted mine the 'hard way'.
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Geologist wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 11:31 am I have always inserted mine the 'hard way'.
Through the primer pocket :?: :P
G.
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
Tomklinger

Post by Tomklinger »

Smoke,
Just got home from shooting our sillywet match here in Orlando, and Mark won with a 31! His highest score ever! He told me he puts his wads in flat side down. Now we know his secret!!
None of us will be able to talk to him any more now that he's famous!! :lol:
Tom
Tomklinger

Post by Tomklinger »

Smoke,
My rifle only shoots good in Fl. Seems when I get it to Ga. It always gets stage fright! :lol:
Tom
Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

Well I was going to call him tonight but I doubt he will even answer the phone now. His head is probably so big now he would have to use speaker phone to even talk to me. :lol:
MAH

Post by MAH »

Tom,

That rifle will shoot in Ga.! I have been trying to tell you but the problem lies in the aroma. Ga. does not have the smell of the Bull Shiiiil on the range like it has shooting in the pasture.

So we just have to load the back of your car with the muffing's from your brothers' place! Same principal as the flat side down.

MAH