Nothing like getting beat by your own gun.

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Woody

Nothing like getting beat by your own gun.

Post by Woody »

Yep, it happened again on Thursday night. Our local club is a "black plastic and velcro" club with some bullseye pistol thrown in for good measure. Several times during the summer, we do bow to the "old" school and shoot something other than the "Now Normal". Thursday was a non-standard pistol and lever gun silhouette match. 20 targets. They are run side by side so that we have eight shooters on the line at a time. Few of the guys have a lever gun, so I bring a couple and ammo for those that are lever gun impaired. This time I brought two 86's, a 92, and a 94. I shot the pistol match first scoring a 14/20 using my Bullseye Kimber with an aimpoint. I then loaned it to one of the shooters whose pistol let him down. He shot a 13/20 almost beating me with my pistol and ammo. I then opened the lever gun side and assisted those that needed a rifle/ammo to play. Seemed like I was constantly setting sights and getting someone ready to shoot. The same shooter that almost beat me with my pistol, now borrowed my 92 Winchester rifle in 44/40 and proceeded to hit 17/20 with it. Several relays later, I got to shoot and since my 94 was being shot by another, I also shot the 92. I had a 12 going to rams at 200 yards. Had to run them. The first four fell, but yep, I choked and missed the last one. 16/20 and the shooter that was shooting my 94 also shot a 16/20 with the tie/breaker going to him. Beat by two of my own rifles. Oh the agony!!! :lol:

The moral: If you let them, they will beat you. :shock:

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
Gamerancher

Re: Nothing like getting beat by your own gun.

Post by Gamerancher »

Pretty much par for the coarse Woody. People always seem to shoot better with a borrowed gun.
Moral is: If you want to win, borrow the best shooters gun! :lol:
Out in western NSW where it don't rain much.
Australia
SchuetzenDave

Post by SchuetzenDave »

Twice I let beginners shoot my Schuetzen rifle.

They both scored a perfect 250 score on their targets; which most shooters never do in a life time.

That rifle keeps embarrassing me.
Woody

Post by Woody »

Something else happened at the match. My Winchester 86 in 45-90 took a dump. After 131 years the firing pin finally gave out. Not a big deal, but it took the rifle out til it could be replaced/repaired at home. At home, online, I found that Gunparts Inc. still had a original pin in house. Cheaper than the one I found on ebay, so I ordered it. It came in Monday and I installed. An 86 is a little pain to pull down, but even I can do it. This morning, test fired, cleaned and stored the rifle away. Then I got to thinking. I'm driving 1/2 way across the country next month to shoot and two of the matches I'm entered in are with rifles I don't have extra parts for. Not a smart move. When I ordered my 77, I had Shiloh send me a pin, lever spring, screw, and a transfer bar. I always carry extra parts for my High Walls, what was I thinking, not doing the same for my lever guns.

Woody

PS: Later, I checked my extra parts bin and low and behold what did I find? An extra firing pin for a 76 and a 86. I had forgotten about them. Ordered extra pins for my 92 and 94. They will travel with me to Raton.
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.