New - to me - Shiloh

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

MacRob46

New - to me - Shiloh

Post by MacRob46 »

I just took delivery on a Sporter #1 in .45 2 1/10. It is the basic rifle except with a 30 inch half round heavy barrel. The Serial # is 9507 and there is no "B" suffix. I assume that means the rifle was made before two companies split. Just wondering if anyone has an idea of the age of the rifle and any other particulars. Aside from a few handling marks on the stock, it is in excellent condition.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
MSalyards

Re: New - to me - Shiloh

Post by MSalyards »

Ant pics? :D
bobw

Post by bobw »

I've got a Saddle rifle in the 79xx range made in 1987. Shiloh on the receiver and Shiloh on the barrel with the Old Reliable tm pre judgement of that trademark. Bryans bought Shiloh in 92? and "B" prefixed their first 10,000 then "B" suffixed the next 10,000. without the "B" it's pre Bryan. I've all ways thought you can see the quality difference after the Bryans run the show . It's much better in fit and finish. bobw
bobw
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

It's not to far from my first gun I got in 90 before we got involved, it was a 9700 number.
MacRob46

Post by MacRob46 »

I suspected it was 25 years or more old and you have confirmed that. It does not have the "Old Reliable" mark on the barrel.

Went through it pretty carefully today and it seems fine except the extractor does not work too well. Being a single shot that is not a big deal. Also there is a coil spring showing between the firing pin and and the breech block. My two year old LRE doesn't seem to have that or at least it is not visible.

Not expecting to have any work done to it but hope that you guys would agree to do so, if I want to make any changes or if it needs something done.

Thank for your reply to my question Kirk and all the best to you and the other folks at Shiloh. Hope to get back out there to see you next year but sciatica is keeping me home this summer.
MacRob46

Post by MacRob46 »

One other question. Can you tell me what the twist is in the barrels from that time period? I assume this one is a standard barrel.
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Mine was a 1-20.
parkergunz

Post by parkergunz »

Kirk
My first rifle, a Mt RR .45-70, was picked up in August, 1994. What rate of twist were you using at that time ?
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

MacRob46

Post by MacRob46 »

Thanks Kirk...one more question then I will leave you alone.

The rifle came with Pedersoli sights, front and tang. I have replaced the tang sight with a Lee Shaver model. I also want to replace the front sight. The dovetail seems to be .450". Was that the standard size dovetail about the time the rifle was built? My other Shiloh has a .375" dovetail.

Thanks again for your help.
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Your other Shiloh must have been cut special because they are all .450 std.
And also, what's up with the extractor not working??
MacRob46

Post by MacRob46 »

Thanks for the info Kirk...my calipers said 3/8" but they have been known to lie from time to time!

The extractor seems to be working OK. Early on it grabbed the rim of every other case but the more I have worked it the better it has gotten. I think the gun had been in storage for awhile before I got it, but why that would affect the extractor, I have no clue.

I appreciate the reply.
MacRob46

Post by MacRob46 »

Oops...when I rechecked the LRE it does have the .450" front dovetail. Must have been thinking about the barrel on the rolling block. Sorry for the confusion.