Bore pigs

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

alfajim

Re: Bore pigs

Post by alfajim »

Has anyone looked at trying faucet washers from one of the hardware, home depot, type stores they come in lots of different OD's and all have a hole in them for an 8/32 or 10/32 screw. Some are even tapered on the outside.

Jim O
BFD

Post by BFD »

Yup. Looked at them many a time, but found what I needed elsewhere (and lots cheaper).
rfd

Post by rfd »

made up a dozen BD bore gophers. they seem to work pretty darn well.

BR ~ TMA ~ BPG
BFD

Post by BFD »

Told ya :)

But I was pumping lead into the snowbank on Saturday using mine, and I BROKE 3 of them! Never happened before, but clearly even the bronze can corrode. Sure glad it happened now and not in mid match somewhere. These were several years or more old and heavily used. But I did not expect them to break.

Oh, two comments.
1. If you use a little blue locktite, you can get by with just one nut
2. If you leave the nut about 1/2 turn short of being all the way on, it will help the jag center up on the gopher. If the brush threads are proud of the nut, the rod will want to slide sideways or whatever.
rfd

Post by rfd »

BFD wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:59 am Told ya :)

you sure did, and you were right!

But I was pumping lead into the snowbank on Saturday using mine, and I BROKE 3 of them! Never happened before, but clearly even the bronze can corrode. Sure glad it happened now and not in mid match somewhere. These were several years or more old and heavily used. But I did not expect them to break.

Oh, two comments.
1. If you use a little blue locktite, you can get by with just one nut

using locktite, three allow a larger diameter buffer on the delrin rod's face

2. If you leave the nut about 1/2 turn short of being all the way on, it will help the jag center up on the gopher. If the brush threads are proud of the nut, the rod will want to slide sideways or whatever.

works just fine as is, so far, but time will tell
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
BR ~ TMA ~ BPG
rfd

Post by rfd »

brent's bore gophers are working great in the .40-65 sharps.

FWIW, the components i use are ...

dewey nylon rifle brush ~ .416" ~ 8-32 thread ~ $1.59 each at BACO

mcmaster-carr ...
neoprene washer ~ No. 12 ~ 0.195" 0.438" ~ 0.078"-0.108" ~ Durometer 55A ~ part #90133A021 ~ $10.93 (100 count)
brass narrow hex nut ~ 8-32 1/4" 3/32" ~ part #95130A130 ~ $5.13 (100 count)

VFG weapons care felts ~ .40/10.3mm ~ $50 (500 count)

one felt twists on the front end of the brush, up to but not past the brush's bristles. to get a felt onto the back end of the brush, i open up the felt's hole with bbq bamboo skewers - 1/8" and then 3/16" - grease the skewers with black powder lube. use the same lube on the brush's screw threads and shank. push and twist the felt onto the brush, past the threads and onto the shank. slip on a washer, screw on a brass nut, then another nut. about 3/16" or so of the threads will show - use side cutters to lop off, file off the burr smooth. i've had no need to loctite the nuts. these are small brass nuts that are 3/32" thin and 1/4" wide. using larger nuts won't allow the washer to bend and makes pushing through the bore a chore - been there, done that.

back from a day at the range ...

BR ~ TMA ~ BPG
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Going back to rfd's post on page two of this thread maybe I should comment on my experiences? Just in case others might encounter some of what I have and where I have evolved to and why.

Been using the BACO bore wipes in 40,44 & 45 Cal in BPCR rifles. I think at least two full seasons plus or so and I also use them in practice.

40 Cal I have evolved into using only one felt pellet and positioned all the way out on the pellet spike so the point is not showing. On one rifle the Wiper seems to get stuck in the chamber occasionally, does not do it on the other two rifles yet. BUT, going to MPRO-7 Cleaner as a wiping solution minimized that and when it does do it I am suspecting that the problem is the front of the chamber is sharp and or deep cut and catches the O-ring and rolls it out of the groove on the bore wipe and jams the tail end at the front of the chamber because the only remedy is running a rod down from the muzzle and pushing it out through the breech. I just put a new O-ring on and continue to march.

44 & 45 Caliber I use two felts and also position them all the way forward on the spike. Same with the O-rings as on the 40 cal but I did not experience that in 45 until after two years of use. Suspect same cause as with 40 Cal. in that the O-rings get tired.

I use a lingerie bag and Woolite detergent and regular washing machine delicate cycle with cold water to wash the felts. Some of the pellets have probably been washed 15 times, I only air dry. DO NOT USE ARTIFICIAL HEAT TO DRY THE PELLETS. (don't ask me why I know) Sunlight is not artificial heat. I use the clothes line method.

At first I was getting too much fluid on the felts and making a mess. Now I just dip the bore wipe pellet felt in the MPRO-7 cleaner and right back out. Then the 2.25 inch Pro-Shot square cotton patch "damp", not dry, not wet, to follow the bore wipe. I use a short stroke on the wiping rod to push the bore wipe just past the chamber and then introduce the damp cotton patch to follow. At the muzzle I double a cotton patch with a rubber band on the underside of the barrel to keep the excess bore wipe fluid from running along the bottom of the barrel and under the forearm. Needs to be about an inch or so back from the muzzle or the muzzle blast might launch or fray the patch. ALWAYS, ALWAYS WATCH AND MAKE SURE BOTH THE BORE WIPE AND FOLLOWING PATCH CLEAR THE BORE AND FALL FREE BEFORE WITHDRAWING THE PUSH ROD.

I clean the metal and plastic parts of the bore wipes in HOT soapy water, rinse well in cold water and air dry before storing in air tight container.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
rfd

Post by rfd »

by using the "2nd gen" arsenal patches they're just throwaways, i have nothing to save.

i used be anal about cleaning the vfg felts by tumbling them with oxy-clean. all that's really needed to do with any felted bore wipe is to push it thru the barrel along with the patch and into a deep tray of plain water. this keeps the bp residue soft, same as wanted with the gun's bore. when the shootin's over the wipers go into the soapy water jug with the fired brass. back at the ranch the wipers just get washed with plain water and set out to dry, away from the sun. no muss, no fuss. they work just as good as new and seem to last forever.
BR ~ TMA ~ BPG
art ruggiero

Post by art ruggiero »

what are you guys using for a jag to push the bore wipes thru? thanks art
rfd

Post by rfd »

art ruggiero wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 12:11 pm what are you guys using for a jag to push the bore wipes thru? thanks art
3/8" x 48" delrin rod - just the rod, no jag or ferrule of any kind needed.

the white delrin rod with wood handle is from steve rhoades and is used for cleaning - under it is the black delrin bore wipe pushrod, peeking out near the butt end - i use this rod for both .40 and .45 guns.

BR ~ TMA ~ BPG
VectorMan

Post by VectorMan »

My wife says I’m insane. She doesn’t understand.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"keep adding powder til it bloodies your nose and blacks your eyes, then back it off bout 5 grains."
BFD

Post by BFD »

I should draw up a phylogenetic tree for the evolution of bore critters. :)
semtav

Post by semtav »

Used the bore pigs at a long range match today. I must be doing something wrong cause I was way less than impressed. Soaked them for a sort time in 10-1 Napa cutting oil before putting them in the case. followed the bore pig with a dry patch. Couldn't get through half a relay before the bullets started shooting quite low. Last target I followed the bore pig with a damp patch with same water oil mixture and followed with a dry patch and got lots better results, but that defeats the purpose.
BFD

Post by BFD »

'Before you put them in a case'???

Try plain old dihydrogen oxide. Skip the oil stuff.

Perhaps there is something wrong with the design or construction of your animals. Exactly what did the dry patch, with which you pushed the pig, look like and feel like after it passed out of the bore?
VectorMan

Post by VectorMan »

I tried them for the 1st time in a silhouette match on all the animals and using PPB. I’m hooked on both. The reminder of the year will be shot with all the above.
"keep adding powder til it bloodies your nose and blacks your eyes, then back it off bout 5 grains."