Value of a Spotter

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Glen Ring

Value of a Spotter

Post by Glen Ring »

Today Jeanne and I went to the range to work on our spotting skills. I shot , she spotted, She shot I spotted... I was shooting at an 8 inch plate at 500 meters with my 40-65 and it was dead calm. I told Jeanne this gun and load always start working it's way to the right when the rifle gets dirty and sure enough it started today. Elevation good, groups shifting to the right...and then Jeanne discovered MY problem.

After every shot I pulled my scope back and I must have been putting slight pressure downward...because the windage knob would ratchet about a minute EVERY time I pulled the scope back!
The gun started grouping beautifully for the rest of the day!!

Problem solved by an observant spotter !!!
There are those that talk, and those that act. Make a choice.
sharps74

Re: Value of a Spotter

Post by sharps74 »

Mine will do the same thing Glenn, I've found if I grease the scope tube it helps also. You two work very well together, thanks for sharing.
sharps74

Post by sharps74 »

Mine will do the same thing Glenn, I've found if I grease the scope tube it helps also. You two work very well together, thanks for sharing.
BFD

Post by BFD »

What kinds of scopes do the two of you have? I've had that problem vertically, but never horizontally.
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

I've had that happen a couple of times with the windage adjustment on the DZ mounts. In order to get the 0.4" of vertical movement, it was necessary to mount a larger (than the threaded section) disc. When the adjustment screw on the mount gets a bit loose, and if you are toward either the upper or lower extreme of vertical adjustment, pulling the scope back to battery will change the windage adjustment. Simple to avoid--just tighten that screw in the upper right corner of the read mount until the friction is enough to prevent the movement. I also try to make sure that the adjustments are balanced in the middle, changing the height of the rear block if necessary, and I watch the windage knob as I pull the scope back into battery.

Clarence
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

Our DZ scopes and mounts are GREAT...but now I have discovered to NOT pull down on the scope when pulling it back after a shot. It's the little things that all add up. Thanks to my observant wife.
I'll tighten things up tomorrow Clarence and see if that helps.

Yep..we've worked pretty well together for 42 years.
Tebbeman

Post by Tebbeman »

When resetting your scope, you should "pull back on it" by grabbing between the scope mounts and sliding back to you to keep from torquing it one way or another. Jim at MVA advised me of this, I tried it and sure enough things became more consistent.

Regarding spotters, I've been blessed with a great one over the past decade and he's given me tons of great suggestions like "pull your head out of your A**" "Hey dummy quit jumping off your rifle trying to see the hits" and "I don't know...must have been you...quit doing that". :D :D

See priceless help.

Kenny T.
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you...Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul & the other for your Freedom!
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

You'd think , at this age, I'd have it all figured out also...but it's a continuous learning process.
I appreciate that tip Kenny and I'll start using it and pass it along.

I think exchanging information like this is what this Forum was originally intended to do.

I have competed in a lot of sports from running races to shooting all kinds of weapons at all distances, and it's easy now to spot the gentlemen and ladies who are thoughtful promoters of those events . You are a gentleman and ambassador for BPCR 22.

I appreciate you and want to say thank you for the positive image you project in 22 bpcr.

I am VERY protective of my one and only grandson and will quickly withdraw from any event where the ONLY emphasis is winning at any costs, where there is excessive foul language or there are safety concerns.

The nationals in Raton this year were VERY well done and I hope Next summer I can bring my grandson from Oklahoma to experience them.

Glenn Ring