Africa

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Glen Ring

Africa

Post by Glen Ring »

I loved the hunting stories and pics concerning Alaska. I think enough information was relayed to us so that we have an idea how much we need to save, and who we need to contact...even what firearms and gear to take to Alaska. Thanks for all that. Now..AFRICA!! Who hasn't wanted to hunt in Africa!
I think Bill Bagwell mentioned he had been there many times and bagged lots of animals so now...AFRICA!! Please relay where you went, what outfitters, guns, gear you needed and what regular guys like me can expect to spend on airfare, guides, licenses...etc.
There are those that talk, and those that act. Make a choice.
BFD

Re: Africa

Post by BFD »

Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

Cool Brent !!!!!!!!
BFD

Post by BFD »

Are you thinking of going yourself? To hunt?

Which country?
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

Jim bag well had posted some stuff about Africa and I'd love to see his pics and hear his story.
Jim Kidwell

Post by Jim Kidwell »

Don't believe everything you read. These hunts were staged, just like the moon landing. :P ..................
....................................Jim
You are a ghost driving a meat covered skeleton made from stardust riding a rock floating through space.
Fear nothing. (anon)……………………
BFD

Post by BFD »

Jim Kidwell wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:17 am Don't believe everything you read. These hunts were staged, just like the moon landing. :P ..................
Have you ever trained an eland to lay down and be still like that? It ain't easy! :)
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

Brent
I will probably never leave the US. I do love reading about other's hunts though.
These days my hunts are limited to Oklahoma...particularly my place and only with my 11 year old Grand Son
I can walk 600 yards, climb into a 11ft x 11 ft stand , get into my rockin chair and ....sleep. I pass on several deer every year.

My youthful dreams of taking a recurve bow to Africa and Taking a Buffalo are gone...but I do like reading about other's hunts. You are very fortunate to have hunted there. Good pics..
BFD

Post by BFD »

If you can't pull the recurve for a buffalo, you can still pull a trigger. Don't stay home if the dream is somewhere else. Otherwise, life is just a waiting period. No sense in that.
rdnck

Post by rdnck »

Brent, truer words were never spoken. Not a day goes by without my African experiences taking a walk through my mind.

My first two trips, I carried a Shiloh Business Rifle in 45-110, and shot both a Lyman 520 grain Govt. bullet at 1360 fps and a 511 grain paper patched bullet out of a Steve Brooks mold at 1382fps. I shot two kudu, black wildebeast,zebra, blue wildebeast, Impala, springbok, and gemsbok. One kudu, the blue wildebeast, and springbok were all over 300 yards, laser measured. I did not recover a single bullet from any animal, getting complete pass through on all of them.

On the third trip, I carried my Shiloh Number One Sporter in 45-70. Loaded with the 511 grain paper patched bullet and the Lyman 457121, it did every bit as well as the 45-110 as far as putting animals on the ground, and delivered complete pass through penetration on everything. I took impala, warthog, zebra, and two blesbok, one of the blesbok being at 307 yards and the other at 451. Got to youtube and look up "Black powder zebra kill" to see the 45-70 work on a zebra.

I have pictures, but don't know how to post them. I do have a couple of dvds off of the three trips.

The first trip, all my bullets were 30-1. On the last two trips, I used 50/50 wheel weights and lead to cast the bullets. I used a full buckhorn barrel sight and a copper penny front blade on all three trips. A good laser rangefinder is a MUST, and you need to have your sights correlated with it. A 45-70 and a 500 grain to 520 grain bullet pushed by 70 grains of 2f is more than adequate for anything short of elephant as long as you shoot the rifle well and put the bullet where it needs to go.
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

My two favorite African animals as far a antlers and coloring are the Greater Kudu and Oryx. Never had a desire personally to hunt Africa but sure am interested in the pictures and stories of those that have. Just finished the book by the Cabella'a last fall. They hunted all over the Dark Continent for over 30 trips if memory serves. I would recommend it to all who are enthused by African hunting lore.
I once built a nice Mauser for a good friend of mine in 416 Taylor to hunt Africa and he never went. Finally sold the gun and never did use it.
I also built him a 35 Whelen that he loves and uses regularly for moose.
I just recently got the bow building bug and watched some of Fred Bear's film of bow hunting Africa , Canada and AK. He killed an elephant with one well placed arrow ( I had thought they would be practically impervious to an arrow ) but down the old boy went with a Bear broad head through both lungs. Bear used his own recurve bow (I think Kodiak Magnum model) of 65 lbs draw weight.
Dan O

Post by Dan O »

Mike get Fred Bears book " Fred Bears Field Notes" it covers his hunts in Alaska and BC I think. It gives day by day account of his hunts. I think you would really enjoy it. He also did a number of films for his hunts.

Dan
pacecars

Post by pacecars »

Grew up watching the Fred Bear clips on American Sportsman with Curt Gowdy. Went to the Fred Bear museum when it was in Gainesville, Fl before it closed. The Elephant head and Polar Bear were impressive
Real gun powder is black.
pacecars

Post by pacecars »

Grew up watching the Fred Bear clips on American Sportsman with Curt Gowdy. Went to the Fred Bear museum when it was in Gainesville, Fl before it closed. The Elephant head and Polar Bear were impressive
Real gun powder is black.
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

Fred Bear, Ben Pearson and latter Howard Hill...My heroes when I was a boy.
Brent
I have shot a 64 pound draw weight recurve for decades. I tore my shoulder over a year ago and I'm just getting good again. I cannot even pull a 45 pound recurve right now...but I can still pull a trigger.

My dreams were formed in the 60's...the world and I have changed too much for that African trip now. My game will probably be limited to wild hogs, whitetail deer and varmints...but I'm not complaining.