2019 TX State BPCR Match Results

This is where you can place your scores from the matches. It uses an excel spread sheet! If you send me your sheet of scores I can put it on the forum and provide a link where everyone can view it.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

TexasMac

2019 TX State BPCR Match Results

Post by TexasMac »

The 2-day 40 shot/day match was held 10/19-20 at the Heart of Texas Silhouette Association (HOTSA) range near Coolidge, TX. The strong, variable winds certainly affected the average scores. In some cases head winds were strong enough to hold up the rams even with well placed off-center hits, resulting in several “rung” rams.

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
http://www.texas-mac.com
TexasMac

Re: 2019 TX State BPCR Match Results

Post by TexasMac »

BTW, I failed to mention and thank the following supporters that provided prizes in addition to the cash awards. I hope I remembered everyone.

Darren Ross - Beautiful custom Hyo Silver gold & silver western-style belt buckles for the HOA winners.
Ralph Cole - Beautiful custom knife for the high turkey shooter
David Barnes - Custom embossed leather rifle cheek pads, leather belts for the HOA belt buckles and scabbard for the custom knife.
Shiloh Sharps - $2,000 gift certificate towards a rifle.
Montana Vintage Arms - Winchester 5X “B” Series Scope with No. 2 Mounts
James Kirkland (Schuetzen Powder) - 25+ cans of Swiss 1.5f powder
Dan Zimmerman (DZ Arms) - gift certificates
Redding - gift certificates.

Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

I also forgot to mention that shoot-offs were held to determine the 3rd high overall winners, and Mike Westbrook and I decided to "flip" for the high turkey custom knife since Mike did not have sufficient ammo for a shoot-off - Mike won the flip.

I hope everyone, especially the prize winners, remembers to send a special thanks to the individuals and companies supporting the match.

Wayne
DAVE ROELLE

Post by DAVE ROELLE »

Thanks for the post Wayne

Sorry i couldn't make the match this fall, Grandkids football occupied that weekend :wink:

See ya next club match :D 8)

Dave
your never lost, if ya don't care where ya are
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Excellent post Wayne,

Congratulations on the win btw. Well done.

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Thanks for the write-up Wayne. And congrats to the winners. Obviously, a great match.

As a note, there is one 'heavy' ram for sure at the HOTSA range. A few years back three of us in a row hit the same ram and there it stood. Well, almost............. after Kidwell hit it with a centered hit, I hit it well and it did not go down. My hit was with a 438gr 40cal bullet being pushed by 65gr of 2F Swiss. Then John Bly hit it with his 420gr ram load. I thought he rang it as well and turned from the scope to tell him so. However, John's hit tipped it back about as far as it could go without falling and it slowly rocked forward and toppled off the front. Great fun.
Glenn
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Thanks for the write-up Wayne. And congrats to the winners. Obviously, a great match.

As a note, there is one 'heavy' ram for sure at the HOTSA range. A few years back three of us in a row hit the same ram and there it stood. Well, almost............. after Kidwell hit it with a centered hit, I hit it well and it did not go down. My hit was with a 438gr 40cal bullet being pushed by 65gr of 2F Swiss. Then John Bly hit it with his 420gr ram load. I thought he rang it as well and turned from the scope to tell him so. However, John's hit tipped it back about as far as it could go without falling and it slowly rocked forward and toppled off the front. Great fun.
Glenn
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Any information on caliber, load, bullet etc used for winning scores?
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

SSShooter wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:16 am Thanks for the write-up Wayne. And congrats to the winners. Obviously, a great match.

After complaints from several shooters including myself the match director checked all the rams after the 1st day of shooting and found at least two "heavy rams". These were replaced for day 2 but there were still some rung rams due to the strong headwinds holding them up. I hit one a little low towards the rear leg & it never moved.

Wayne
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

desert deuce wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:39 am Any information on caliber, load, bullet etc used for winning scores?
Since a questionnaire was not filled out all I can tell you is what I used, which was:
Shiloh Sharps 1874 40-65 with 14.5 twist bore (rifle I won the gift certificate for 2 years ago at the same match)
BACO JIM409420M2, 55gr. Swiss 1.5f under .060" fiber wad, White Lightning lube, Fed. GM150M match large pistol primers.
Loaded to touch the lands, resulting in 0.060" of compression & a velocity of 1225fps.

Wayne
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

I did have an unusual experience causing me to miss the last 3 rams on the 2nd day of the match. Starting with only hitting one chicken, then taking down 10 pigs & 10 turkeys I figured I had a good chance of ending with a master score on the last day. I proceeded to take down 7 rams in a row until ram 8. The shot was way off to the left so I corrected. The next shot was way off to the left so I corrected some more. The final shot was also off to the left.
Knowing the wind was not the problem I was scratching my head as to what happened until I cleaned the bore. I'd head that a lead deposit in only one groove can deflect the bullet in only 1 direction. During cleaning I found a hunk of lead in only 1 groove. I expect that it shifted the first shot then further built up with the subsequent shots to deflect the bullet even further, more that the combined sight corrections.

Wayne
DAVE ROELLE

Post by DAVE ROELLE »

Naaaaaa Wayne it's that hex on the Ram line :roll:
your never lost, if ya don't care where ya are
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

DAVE ROELLE wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:15 pm Naaaaaa Wayne it's that hex on the Ram line :roll:
Naaa Dave, it's my master score hex. I've shot plenty of 28's, 29's and a few 30's but never a 31. But there's always next year or the next match. I clearly need to work on the chickens some more. BTW, I've setup a short chicken range in my back yard with proportionally scaled metal targets on a swinger. I've also picked up a Umarex Gauntlet .177 PCP (nope - not the psychedelic drug) Air Rifle that will spit out around 80 + rounds at a constant velocity (measured an average of 925 fps with a SD of 5 fps) once the 3,000 psi cylinder is fully charged. It weighs a little over 10 lbs with a real nice adjustable trigger so it's not that far removed from my Browning or Sharps weight. Due to the holiday activities, weather, etc., I've slacked off practicing with it & need to get back to it. Gotta develop those 'chicken shooting' muscles. Time will tell if I manage to stick with it & it helps. Certainly can't hurt.

Wayne