What the heck do I have?

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

40-65rl

What the heck do I have?

Post by 40-65rl »

Several months ago I saw BACO mould listed on e-bay but it was not the single mould I was used to seeing. This one was for a Master Caster and was two bullet mould. It was engraved BACO, JM 459540M4 with a hand engraver. The engraving looked very similar to what I have seen on the BACO mould blocks. It surprised me because I had asked BACO if they would cut one of their bullet designs into a double bullet Master Caster blank block and was told no about a year ago. The price was right so I bought it, figured if it didn't work out I had spare parts for other Master Caster moulds. Anyway, I cast a few bullets with the mould, they look pretty good, and here's what the bullet came out as:
OAL: 1.450
Base: .460
1st band: .450, narrow, top of band is .720 from base
2nd band: .450, narrow
3ed band: .450, narrow
4th band: .459
5th band: .459
Weight: 530 using 20-1

I cannot find this bullet listed on the BACO site. Wonder if I got a counterfeit or a custom bullet cut for a customer.
Anyone seen anything like this? Figure I'll shoot if and see how it goes. With the three reduced bands should set it out for lots of extra powder!
Dick
beltfed

Re: What the heck do I have?

Post by beltfed »

Dick,
Baco does drop molds from the listings in their catalogs.
I suppose if low volume sales and/or in order to fill in with new designs.
I saw 6 designs of DDEPP( two diameter bullets) no longer in the PP bullet listings.
And one "new" one now listed.
40-65rl

Post by 40-65rl »

Guess it doesn't matter what it is or why it is what it is as long as the bullet shoots. Will find out when I can get to the high power range. Still have six foot drifts from the two storms at Thanksgiving.
Merry Christmas to all.
Dick
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Guess it doesn't matter what it is or why it is what it is as long as the bullet shoots
Yep, another case of the target will answer your questions.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

That bullet is listed in catalog #35 on page 74 in the first line of moulds at the top of the page.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
40-65rl

Post by 40-65rl »

Don,
I don't have that catalog. Do I have the specifications correct as listed in the catalog.
Dick
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Yup pretty close.
40-65rl

Post by 40-65rl »

Thanks Don. I'll put it on paper when I can get to the pits without a front end loader!
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

I hear ya. I have some loads I want to test, but the wash going thru the range is still so full of snow, now ice, I don't think I can even get across it to hang a target on the 200 meter line.
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

Don McDowell wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:19 pm That bullet is listed in catalog #35 on page 74 in the first line of moulds at the top of the page.
Don,

Check your #35 catalog again. I believe you were looking at the JIM459525M4, not the one Dick was asking about (JIM459540M4) which is not listed in the catalog nor on the website in either 1-cavity or 2-cavity as Dick noted.

Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
http://www.texas-mac.com