Powder charge method

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

kwilliams

Powder charge method

Post by kwilliams »

I am wondering what technique the better match shooters use to charge their Straight wall cases for the best accuracy?
The weighed charge choices:
1. drop tube only
2. drop tube and compress with comp. die.
3. pour in and then compress with comp. die....accomplishes the same as #2?
I do not have a chrono to see what the deviation is between these methods.
thanks
kw
bpcr shooter

Re: Powder charge method

Post by bpcr shooter »

drop tube and compress. It would be in your best interest to get a chrono, but you can always let the target tell you too....
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
rgchristensen

Post by rgchristensen »

Years ago, I made the experiment of vibrating the charge down, then compressing, versus just dropping the charge and compressing it. On measuring the mean point of impact, velocity, and velocity SD, I found no difference between the two in any of these quantities. This was with a 40-65, Swiss 1.5 Fg powder, 418 gr GG bullet. Since then, I have not messed with a drop tube or vibrator, just dropped the charge and compressed it.
CHRIS
RGChristensen
kwilliams

Post by kwilliams »

RGChristensen

I should of listed vibrating a charge as no.4 in past years I have known a few that use(d) the method. Depending on how it is done, it really settles the charge. Don't know if the consistency would be the same as a comp. die plunger though.
I too skip the drop tube on my non match rifle loads. If I could prove to myself the tube was not needed.......more extended range time for this rifle is needed.
thanks
kw